fire improvements in update 39

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by sidekick2011, Jul 9, 2014.

1. 6000Degree New Player

On test? Because on live, both do spread the burning and give double tick.
    • Like x 1
  2. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

how are you testing this? because my repeated tests on live produced negative results.
    light up away from any adds, approach add to just within flashpoint aoe range, hit flashpoint, 1 single tick of damage, no burning spread. not just once but repeatedly, 100% consistently.
    if you say you get different results, i believe you, it must mean my toon is broken.

if however, you walk up to an add, then hit enflame or immolation>flashpoint, you will result in 1 initial tick of damage from enflame/immolation , 1 tick of burning damage followed by 1 tick of flashpoint burst damage all in very quick succession, as touching any add while burning will inflict burning, if said add is touching another add, the 2nd add will pick up the burning pi and so on , like a domino effect. this can look very deceivingly like the immolation pi is in effect.

so im really curious as to your test method, because to produce accurate results, you need to not touch the add while burning and hit flashpoint with distance between you.

but like i said, if your producing positive results for the immolation PI from both enflame and immolation, then not only is my toon broken but the power descriptions on the power tree are wrong and need to changed by the devs to accurately represent what the power does.
  3. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Looks like it's going live soon so we will have to retest everything
  4. 6000Degree New Player

Ok now it's clearer what you mean.

I checked a video I did and you are right, if you go at FP max range, you see only 1 tick and no burning.

However if you are at melee range, ad use immolation - which requires the enemy to hit you before they can go on fire - and the enemy is not hitting you due to knockdowns, you get the double tick and inflict burning

You can verify this here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=700436093325536&l=174949119471643411
    At 1:23 I use immolation + sidekick rocket and they go up, but they are not in flame while knocked down.
    At 1:26 I use FP and I get the double tick ( the double tick is always from FP, I did check combat log on a sparring target ) and they burn up
    The guard at my left didn't have chance to attack due to the double knockdown, so the only thing that could put her on fire is FP

However at 3:26 I charged Immolation, then at 3:30 I did FP at max range and got a single hit with no burning spread

So my suggestion is that the power works this way:
    When under immolation/enflame, the power "doublecasts" a smaller-range version of itself, which spreads burning.
    That would explain why we get 2 ticks of damage instead of only a single one but bigger while under immolation.

IDK if this is intended, but I hope that if it has to be fixed, it will be only after everything else for fire is fixed...
    We melee dpsers got 0 updates with GU39 "AM", and WM+IM + WM+FP is still our best choice
  5. 6000Degree New Player

Btw I'll test on league hall's 8-targets when we get it
  6. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Keep me up to date on findings I will be looking to overhaul the fire guide
    - I'll be doing plenty of testing on my own as well, but the more the better of course
    • Like x 2
  7. Herbalacious New Player

As a casual player returning I made a Fire/Tank a few weeks back and had no problems getting to 30, pugged 99% of all duos/alerts/raids with this character up to 89 CR so far and having no issues as the main tank. I can't speak on some content yet in T6 raids and such, but I can tell you that fire tanking isn't as bad as I had originally thought it would be after some reading in the forums. It's strait forward as long as you stay on top of your rotation which completely relies on self healing and in turn keeps the HP buff constantly on. The powers on my loadout all have self heals besides Fireball. The only improvement the update does for me is buff the power Stoked Flames.

Why is the taunt so weak?
    Why is the immolation/overheat combo so weak? (I don't use these powers but what's the point of this combo?! Every Fire Tank probably has the ability to these 2 powers but do they?)
    Why no buffs to self heals in a Tank role for any powers?

These are the glaring issues for me anyway, especially nothing happening directly to self heals. I mean this is the whole point of the class!
  8. 6000Degree New Player

You can't really test tanking in anything less than T6 raids / SM now, because probably your teammates are overgeared and running "old" content for styles/feats.
  9. VariableFire Loyal Player

Either the DPS is burning stuff before it has a chance to kill you, the healer is healing so much that it'd take OHKs to even phase you, or the troller is throwing so much power you can heal until the cows come home.

I halfway think that the reason the adds in TD hit so weakly is to give even Fire Tanks a chance at it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Herbalacious New Player

Well so far I've had fun doing it and I really don't think it was that bad, I even got some compliments sometimes lol. I'll prolly sing a different tune in T6.

I'm just saying all they had to do was make Immolation give a self heal buff while in Tank role and remove the combo with Overheat that is never used anyway. And maybe beef up the taunt a bit. Hate wasting power on it when it doesn't work.
  11. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

So i watched your video, at length, frame by frame, both forwards and backwards and couldn't help but to notice few things.

First i couldn't help but to see you use a 2-hander (nice choice, as you can see in my sig it's my weapon of choice also) and i'm sure you're very proficient with it. So there is no need to tell you that it has a very,very wide aoe splash associated with it, capable of not only hitting multiple enemies but providing cc/knockback to them as well, including enemies that might be directly behind you.

That being said, i also noticed at 1:23 a tick of weapon damage(in white numbers) hitting the add in question as it falls through the air, a non-crit, looked like 1.4k.

At 1:24 as the add in question is lying sprawled on it's back a clear flash of yellow indicating that the burning PI has taken affect (before your flashpoint)

So the conclusion I draw , is as i stated before.

It is also worth noting that we really can't compare notes and come up with any solid information, as we clearly have very different methods of testing.
    I test slowly, methodically using the Initial power>secondary power = outcome, find new adds, rinse and repeat.
    While your testing consists of analyzing pre-recorded footage of a full speed (lets get it done) duo, utilizing an array of different powers,trinkets,sidekicks weapon combos, WM combos , and a partner (which makes it rather difficult to decipher, especially in a very pixilated video).
  12. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

What are you guys testing?
  13. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Burning PI and Immolation Flashpoint interaction
  14. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

They testing if it immolation spreads pi? or flashpoint?
  15. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Flashpoint inflicting burning when used while immolation effect is active I believe
    It used to work this way when I left but I have been busy just trying to catch up to do any deep testing atm so I am not sure of how it currently functions
  16. AkikoTsunami Committed Player

it's my assertion that neither enflame nor immolation grant the immolation PI, and as stated in both power descriptions both apply only a simple burning PI
  17. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

Oh ok. I can test that as soon as servers is up. Sorry, My mind is kinda tired. Just got off work.
  18. 6000Degree New Player

I don't understand if the 1st part you consider it good or bad.

However you seem to have seen the low-res video.
    Click on the "HD" in the bottom right of the video and it will be much clearer :)

I have many short (10-20s) videos on the PS4 done vs sparring targets, where i keep open the the combat log at max view, if you want I can upload them.
    I did them to compare damage vs Detonate and vs Backdraft, and there it's clearly written the double hit of FP while under immolation and the burning PI spread - sparring targets don't attack you so if you use immolation, there is no burning until you use FP.
    Only doubt is the real range of the double hit, which is shorter than the max range of FP.
    After GU39 goes up I'll check the range.
  19. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

When are servers expected to be up?
  20. D3vi1 Dedicated Player

1:30 PM PST