FFXIV PHASE 4 BETA

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Duragon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Objeckt Well-Known Player

Yeah its true. I don't mind, I'd usually keep my mic off anyway and just type. PS4 has the cross game chat though. Then there's skype, mumble and all that stuff if you need to talk to people.
    • Like x 1
  2. Objeckt Well-Known Player

I just don't like mics. I'm fine with it. I hated it in dc when someone would get on me about not having a mic on. I'm playing a game at my home, I don't need 7 people in there with me through a microphone. Besides, its more of an immersion thing if people are using a keyboard. I don't want to hear peoples kids in the background either, I want to chill and play my game.
    • Like x 5
  3. deltablues New Player

Mics are one of the aspects of DCUO that I absolutely hate. I hate having to hear people's entire trailer park, screaming children, horrible music, yelling mothers...If this game has no mics that's freaking awesome. I agree about the immersion thing. Hearing someone's gangsterlicious accent spewing out expletives really takes away from the idea that I'm a hero trying to save the world from evil.
    • Like x 4
  4. Objeckt Well-Known Player

Haha completely agree.
    • Like x 4
  5. Treat New Player

If people knew how to use mics there would be no problems. Mics should be used only and ONLY FOR tactics. It should not be used for socializing, for talking **** to other strangers, for people to hear YOU as you pee or poop (seriously like wtf), for people to hear you while you perform adult acts because you forget to mute your ****, OR for people to hear people arguing in your fkn home. We don't wanna hear your ****** music either for that matter. Unfortunately, PEOPLE DO NOT KEEP IT ON PUSH TO TALK. Ridiculous.
    • Like x 4
  6. deltablues New Player

I like to play games with the sound off while I listen to books on tape or podcasts. It leads to me playing more video games than I would if I weren't also listening to other things. I played my first year or so of DCUO without sound and then started to get threatened a lot. Then after a while of playing with sound I was told I had to get a mic or I couldn't be in my current league. So I got a mic JUST FOR DCUO. I would say my enjoyment of the game plummeted around the time I started playing with sound on. Most people have their mic on at all times and I hate it. The first time someone smoked a bong and coughed loudly through my TV was the first time I considered quitting the game. I'm now in a league with people who leave their mics on all the time so if I don't turn my sound off I hear traffic, dogs barking, people arguing with their wives and mothers and girlfriends, the sounds of people eating, farting...It's really disgusting. Almost every pug group I've ever been in has had someone playing horrible rap music and every league I've ever been in has had at least one guy who watches TV shows while playing and the sound is so loud that even when you turn his sound all the way down you can still hear the blare of Family Guy or whatever stupid crap he's watching. I play video games to relax and enjoy a fantasy, not to be reminded that I actually hate people quite a bit.
    • Like x 3
  7. Duragon Committed Player

you
    In DC, it disappears and I never understood why. In FFXIV, just like in FFXI and in most other MMO's, chat stays. You just have to scroll up. I don't know if it's a character limit thing or a time thing, but I've played for 45 min before and scrolled up to find something that was announced when I logged in. I don't know why DC doesn't save the chat.

There is a thread in the Square Enix beta forums where everyone got into a debate on the sound thing. The devs come on and gave numerous reasons as to why they would not implement it. One of the reasons was that putting sound into the game at the start adds bandwidth or memory... I don't know, I was skeptical about it and thought it was an excuse. But another forum reader confirmed in on that thread, explained why it would add uneccessary lag as he is a career game developer as well. I'll tell you what, I have to log in and adjust that sound every time I log in DC too.... it's annoying that they can't fix it for two years. I don't think they don't want to, I seriously think they can't find the problem or the problem runs deeper into the development or code of the game (which would draw on the fact above on it taking extra bandwidth or memory, or whatever).

This was also a reason the devs gave for not implementing voice chat, but where I just quickly mentioned it as being annoying, the Japanese developers made this a paragraph in their response. Apparently, this is a huge problem in that society within the gaming community. The post on this reason was almost as large as your first post above. They were very adamant about it, and it made me think that in different parts of the world, the flirting and bickering could border on illegal harassment in those other countries.

Not really.... I know I play a lot, and I know a lot of others play a lot... but we're not getting to Lv.50 with our jobs before 2014 unless your a legacy character from 1.0. Chat might be readily available as soon as we're kicking off our endgame.

This never came up on the thread. I know that even though FFXI was mainly a PS2 game... in the end it had more PC users than anything, mainly for the connection and power of a PC. I don't think the PS4 will have these problems. I think it will still be an equal number of PC and PS players, unlike DC.. but I don't think this was an issue for the devs. This never came up on the thread.

Awesome. I, too , have grouped up with people and it works. But it doesn't work more times than it does. That just means your a good MMO player. A lot of people don't have that kind of patience.

There's nothing wrong with talking to friends while grinding. I just guess they want to make sure you include the other people playing the game when you do it and not stay in your "click". I don't know, it makes sense but I can see where you are coming from. I personally like the text only. I was a little thrown off when I started DC and it was voice mainly with a text box for show or to find an instance since the que system is broken.

Anywho, I appreciate the discussion and look forward to seeing you on Leviathan! I hope you're enjoying the beta, as I am on vacation in Virginia :) Have fun.
    • Like x 1
  8. Duragon Committed Player

In typing my response, many others voiced their opinions on hating voice chat.

This is what the FF developers where saying. Each one has a valid gripe on not wanting voice. It divides gamers more than anything.
    • Like x 2
  9. Duragon Committed Player

On that thread of many reasons, the number one reason the devs said they would not implement voice was this. Role-play, immersion, the mystery and excitement of playing.

In DC, this^^... my lord.
    • Like x 1
  10. Duragon Committed Player

You would fit right into FFXIV. ...and that word is awesome, lol.
    • Like x 2
  11. MARK2099 New Player

So you hate voice chat in DCUO? sound more like you don't even play dcuo, if you play you should knew take a few seconds go to settings and tone down to max voice chat bar, you don't even need to mute players, once you do that in settings you can't hear anything from mics lol.

This is probably one of the big cons from FFXIV, devs already say is for the lag problems, but adding voice chat only in groups may not stress at all the server and please plenty of players who find that feature a must in today games.
    • Like x 1
  12. deltablues New Player

Wrong.
    • Like x 2
  13. Agnetta Dedicated Player

can a thaumaturge be a healer in 4 man content?
    • Like x 1
  14. Femto Well-Known Player

• Like x 2
  15. Phantasy2013 Dedicated Player

I rather have voice chat in my games, especially an MMO. There is only so much you can say during a battle in a chatbox as most don't watch their chatbox like a clock in the first place. Looks like I will be sticking with DCUO. I understand there are those that are strange and act like others want to hear their crying baby or crazed barking dog. But everyone is not like that as you have some great verbal communicators on mics too. Mics are not just used for tactics as they can used for socializing and strategizing alike.
  16. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

I actually just tested this, the short answer is, "In lower levels and if the group is good."

I wouldn't recommend pug healing as THM. In higher level (4 man) content, you will need a CNJ or WHM because of the burst damage and dots. In 1.0 a THM could heal better than a CNJ, but they have changed it so that now you have your specific roles, you can still borrow powers from other classes but they won't be as strong and you can only use T1 heals. Example: Other classes can use Cure 1, but not Cure 2, 3, or an aoe heal. So if you spec into more MND to increase your healing potency, you can get away with healing as a THM in lower level 4 man content.

Since they gave us access to our 1.0 characters in Beta, and both my THM and CNJ are 50, I tested this thoroughly to see if THM could still pull it off, but they made it so THM is the Damage Dealer caster.
    • Like x 3
  17. Duragon Committed Player

How is the duty finder test going? I won't be able to test it myself until late Sunday night. The forums are 50/50. Some appreciate the instant party, others think it will kill community since instead of going out and finding friends or companies, you can just que up automatically.
    • Like x 1
  18. Femto Well-Known Player

W
    Wish i could tell you , been on vacation all week , wont be home till somtime tomorrow morning :/ itll help , even when i played xi i really didnt have a constant group of people to party with cause there are so many things to level up that i doubt any1s ever gonna progress evenly with each other , i remember waiting for hours upon hours to try an find a group in XI , i believe it'll help tremendously
    • Like x 1
  19. PurpCity New Player

It's been great for me. I've seen a lot of people shouting about how horrible the duty finder is for the exact reason you listed but then there seems like there's the exact same amount of people ridiculing you if you try to shout for a group lol.

I've heard dd's in the game saying they wait 10-20+ minutes just for a instance to pop up but as a take I usually only have to wait 1-2 minutes :D. Each group I've been paired with were with fun and cooperative fellas/ladies and we have next to no problems completing the instances.
    • Like x 3
  20. Duragon Committed Player

Yea, been on vacation too. Kids are loving it.

I would tend to agree that with the instant duty finder, community would suffer, but that's just with dungeons and guildhests... I still think with the free companies and all the quests you're going to need to rely on the people around you. And once you're in with a free company, I think you'll only use the duty finder to find that one healer your missing... if it's used like that, then that would be awesome.
    • Like x 1