FFXIV PHASE 4 BETA

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Duragon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. BahamutMugendai New Player

Tried that last week too :'(
  2. Duragon Committed Player

Wow.. seriously? I have no clue then. Did you pre-purchase? Maybe we'll see you at August 27th?
    • Like x 1
  3. BahamutMugendai New Player

Oh ill definitely be pre ordering soon, this games had my interest for awhile now, just unlucky with the beta codes :x
    • Like x 1
  4. MrMigraine Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  5. Duragon Committed Player

Wow, that's cool to know. I think it's just a mixture of a bunch of types of people.

Yea, you have those die-hards that just like FF no matter if it's good or bad. I don't know about these guys, cause if something needs to change or get corrected, these dudes won't admit it.

But you also have the younger crowd that's tired of hearing about FFXIV and want to see what all the hype is about. I welcome these dudes too, but most will not be into the "non-action" of the game, no matter how suspenseful it really is. Some of these dudes might trash it just because it's the legendary FF.

Then you have the people that have been just waiting for a good quality MMO on a console. I fall into this category because with 3 kids and the house, I can't get a new PC every 18 months. That's just crazy.

And you will always have the people that will stick around just for the community.... not every game is as big as this. Think about it... one million people is a lot but really not a lot. If you think about the fact that anyone in the world that has internet and a PS3 or 4 will be able to play. Not just US and EU... but... everyone. When you compare that to the one million, it doesn't seem as much anymore.

Thanks for the link, good read. I have a link somewhere that's a story about one of the developers for WoW and how he thinks that game ruined all MMO's by making them more for the casual player to the point where they're either too easy or get too boring too quickly. That's an excellent read.... he has a new game coming out that focuses on the journey in the game, rather than the endgame.

Thanks again.
    • Like x 2
  6. Super red New Player

When you know what the game is going to be called, I would sure like to know. I am looking forward to FFXIV as well. Played a few of them years ago. But I've been biding my time with DC. Was stroked to finally have an MMO on a console. I have friends that are coming to the new game as well . As a parent of two kids its hard to find time. Can't wait to spend it in final fantasy.
    • Like x 1
  7. crownclownking New Player

Is the beta phase 4 open for everyone or only for ppl that played phase 3 . Anyway i dont know about buying the game i mean it looks pretty from what I've seen so far definitely prettier graphics than dcuo, but that combat system i seen is not action oriented like dcuo me personally i like action games not turn based ones. So idk i would like to play the beta before i think about buying the game and sub instead of wasting money.
    • Like x 1
  8. Super red New Player

FFXIV combat is not as fast paced as DC . But it's not turn based either. You have cool downs for your powers and there are power interactions as well. I've only been able to log 12 hrs. But the game runs smoother than a babies bottom in beta. Which is more than I can say for most games I play in beta.
    • Like x 1
  9. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Queen and I were pleased to log in last weekend and see our 1.0 characters fully restored :D
    • Like x 1
  10. Tule New Player

Although it it will never be as fast paced as DCUO with the jumping, clipping inertia flywheels, dodging (not just using an evasion stat), it can get pretty fast compared to the old XI. At least as a melee, I saw. You have your normal attacks that share a cool down but then you have support abilities that don't. So you can do several moves back to back. They use the same loadout style as DCUO, except instead of just X,O,Triangle, Square, they also use the D-PAD.

Plus of course the main draw of FFXIV, for a lot of players, is a real MMO experience in terms of exploration, quests, the whole "fighting dragons" type of feel to an MMO. Steel swords, real crafting, immersion, community.
    • Like x 2
  11. Duragon Committed Player

The combat is just as fast paced as DC.. only difference is that instead of you actually pressing the buttons to execute combos, the weapons automatically do them. But the powers and cooldowns are the same... and it's LIGHTYEARS ahead of what FFXI was.

Loadout is a lot bigger because you have a lot of abilities to draw from. If you hold down R2, you can press the D-pad 4 ways or the 4 buttons. If you hold down L2, you have the same 8 powers/spells/abilities.. 4 ways on the D-pad and the 4 buttons. That's 16 powers right off the bat. But that's where the similarities end. If you press R1, you get another series of 16 (R2 and L2). You can press R1 and pick 8 different series... so 16x8=128. 128 different abilities/spells/powers available in any battle.

Yes... the game is that deep.
    • Like x 1
  12. Duragon Committed Player

Actually, I correct myself... you're right. It will never be as fast as the clipping, jump cancel stuff. That's more action-based game though. (I actually really liked that about DC).
    • Like x 1
  13. MrMigraine Devoted Player

As a matter of fact, I started a thread about that article this afternoon, but no one seemed to care. :(

(Either that, or I named the thread in such a manner that nobody got the reference) :)

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/casuals-killed-the-mmo-star.162066/
    • Like x 2
  14. Duragon Committed Player

dude!.. there it is! lol. Yea, this article says it all. Seriously... would 75% of the people playing DC be able to play FFXI? The MMO genre has sacrificed so much to cater to the more casual gamer.

Awesome article, thanks for pulling it up. Must read for every gamer on a newer MMO.
    • Like x 1
  15. Duragon Committed Player

... and I got the thread name when I read it, pretty sure more than half the people on the forums didn't, lol.
    • Like x 1
  16. Im Charlie New Player

me and my league have been on leviathen for a good min ^_^

Charlie Slappahoe is my toon's name.
    • Like x 1
  17. MrHeat New Player

Phase 4 will be open beta for everyone, So you'll be able to try it out and see if it's a fit for you. Now when does phase 4 starts is anyone's guess.
    • Like x 2
  18. Duragon Committed Player

This name rocks, lol. I'll update the list and when we get to phase 4, add you to the Free Company.
    • Like x 1
  19. Duragon Committed Player

... btw, my wife loves your back story, lol.
    • Like x 1
  20. MrMigraine Devoted Player

According to today's Producer Letter, they are 'halfway through Phase 3':

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62652

So if we add three more weeks of Phase 3 and then give them a week or so to make adjustments, I'd guess around the first week of August (and possibly right in the middle of SOE Live) for Phase 4.
    • Like x 1