Explanation of Forum and Chat lingo?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Teknyka, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Teknyka New Player

Ok, it's the age of instant messaging, texting, blogging, tweeting, etc....
    But not everyone speaks or understands this abbreviated language so prevalent in the chat today, and in my honest opinion (notice I spelled it out instead of just typing IMHO...), it gets a bit confusing sometimes!

Ok, we all get that LFG stands for "Looking For Group", but what is LFM?
    We know that MoT stands for "Marks Of Triumph", but what is TOM?
    We know FOS stands for "Fortress Of Solitude", but what is GOT?
    We know CR stands for "Combat Rating" and SP stands for "Skill Points" but....
    What is Seeds, Unpaid, or PB?

You get where I'm going here? Sometimes it would be nice if people would spell it out instead of using abbreviations that not everyone in the game understands!
    If there is someone out there that would be kind enough to make a list of the meanings of some of the lingo used in the game, it would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for your help!

And before someone decides to be a smart*ss and make some snide remark about me posting a "Q_Q" thread, as my late mother used to say, "If you don't have something constructive to say, shut the F*CK up" (miss ya, ma)
    • Like x 2
  2. MercPony Devoted Player

I never heard of LFM or TOM... GOT, I think it means Gates of Tartarus...

Seeds (Seeds of Rot) and Unpaid (Unpaid Dues) are villain T4 raids (like heroes Veng [With a Vengeance] and Dawn [Black Dawn])... PB is Prime Battleground aka simply known as Prime.

Edit: TOM might mean Tokens of Merit.
    • Like x 1
  3. Entity Committed Player

OP means over powered i think but it gets used in so many different ways i could most likely be wrong
  4. Sylar-Man New Player

Unpaid and seeds are the short names for the operations. PB is Prime Battleground also called PBG. GOT is Gates of Tartures.
    BC1 = Outer batcave raid, BC2= Inner batcave raid, BC3 (also called Sub) = Sub construct batcave raid.
    ToM-Tokens of Merit
    DoT -Damage over time
    PoT - power over time
    HoT- Heal over time
    AoE- area of effect
    Troll - Troller
    DPS- Damage per second
    • Like x 1
  5. X-zero Loyal Player

I think everyone cover all but LFM. It means Looking for More. Usually used for bounties when someone just needs more bodies and roles don't matter.
    • Like x 1
  6. The Kitsune New Player

Sorry you forgot PUG= Pick up group.
    • Like x 1
  7. Teknyka New Player

Thanks to everyone who took the time to give explanations. If there are any others anyone thinks of, please feel free to add them to the list.
  8. SoylentBob New Player

OP means Overpowered when refering to game elements.
    OP in a thread could also refer to the Original Poster or the Original Post, so it's important to watch context.
    • Like x 2
  9. LORD_SHOCKA New Player

Looking for MIke, hes a popular well rounded guy. Heard he is currently a Tank.
  10. ARI ATARI New Player

context clues will help you with OP's usage.
    it's being used here mostly for original poster as in the first person to start the thread.
    yes it means over powered as well so in context "i'm so OP".... I am obviously not referring to the original poster

its also the strongest villain league on the ps3 OP cleary the best villains are in One Pieced. (im a hero saying this if that means anything)
  11. Laff Riot New Player

Hate to say it but when you are in game its usually easier to do this. Mainly people who use their controllers to type do this. Its far easier and most people know what it means.
  12. ARI ATARI New Player

yes the controller is a cumbersome typing device so abbreviation is a must
    • Like x 1
  13. Sore Steadfast Player

I support the use of abbreviations since chatbox real estate is limited and some PS3 players are limited to the on-screen keyboard. It doesn't take long to learn the lingo. You can also just ask when someone uses one you're not familiar with...

PLB: Promethium Lockbox
    LFM: Looking for more also makes sense for raids similar to "LF All Roles 4 Prime", e.g. "LFM 4 Prime"'
    4: For
    TGTG: Then good to go (you're the last slot we need), e.g. LF Healz 4 Prime TGTG
  14. Manny254 New Player

Seeds and Unpaid are the first part of two villain t4 ops.
    Seeds of Rot and Unpaid Dues
    • Like x 1
  15. Laff Riot New Player

And trust me once you learn these you will have no more issues with it. Besides typing it out all the way is really slow and makes it harder for you to get people for your group. And with how fast the LFG chat tab moves you typing out the whole thing will just get shot up pretty fast. So learn all of these so in game you are not behind the rest.
  16. recespieces31 New Player

Acronyms everwhere...FTW!!!!!
  17. SoylentBob New Player

Not to be confused with Op for Operations (the HoF OW Raids and Alerts)
    in case the OP QQd in the OP about how OP the Ops were.
    • Like x 1
  18. renzhe New Player

PST = Please send tell
    • Like x 1
  19. Solarr Man New Player

Yeah, Mike is great. He's a tank these days, but he isn't afraid to throw down a little DPS if the time is right.
  20. Solarr Man New Player

Wow, I feel dumb. I've always treated it like psssst, as in a whisper, which is meant to be a private message. Wow. Sometimes the connections a brain makes are weird, correct in a sense, but weird all the same.