Excess Renown

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Illumin411, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I've been saying for a while that I wish there was an option to convert renown to episode currency once renown is completed. With the reward being the same between elite and reg, once renown is completed there is no incentive to run elite other than helping friends and leaguemates complete theirs. I'm noticing a stark contrast in group quality between the groups I completed my renown with back in December and early January versus now when I'm trying to help friends and leaguemates which suggests the better players run reg once their renown is complete. Hell, I mostly have been except when I'm asked to help. This makes it quite a grueling task for those trying to complete elite later in to the DLC. I'm someone who always tries to be as helpful as I can to my leaguemates, friends and trusted allies throughout DCUO but I find myseff cringing when asked to help in elite because I just know it's gonna be ten wipes and a disband.

My guess is that if renown could be converted to episode currencyonce renown is full, the players who cut through the elite raids like swiss cheese with me before would still be running elite now and possibly well in to the next DLC. I would be. And as a bonus, I imagine the added opportunity to earn episode currency would cut down on criticisms of adding style pieces to the vendors that cost 150-300 but only give 10pt feats.

Thoughts?
    • Like x 6
  2. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

So, you are asking for elite raids to drop episode currency (when the elite renown is full) on top of the episode currency that drops when completing those raids.

Hmm...

On the one hand, having another way to earn currency would be nice; on the other hand, however, i think it would cause more trouble than solve the issue. I think many players may see this as an unfair advantage for the few that play elite and would want a similar benefit for normal raids. Imagine a double currency weekend with this idea in place; I can smell the forums burning already.;)
    Another point is, of course, profits; if elite renown offered episode currency when filled then there would be little reason to buy or use replay badges; you could run those raids exclusively and get the currency you need.

I think it would be easier to have a toggle to turn on/off elite renown reward drops. That way, the player can decide when to have and when not to have their character earn elite renown.
    • Like x 1
  3. Schimaera Devoted Player

Why would it be unfair? The on-duty-menu is open for all who have the required CR and can be run by any of these players. Players should take more responsibility for the way they play and should not always look where the grass looks greener.
    I'd be okay with a ratio of 600 renown for 1-2 marks. It should not be much.

On the other side, elite raids already reward more currency than normal ones.
    • Like x 2
  4. Zneeak Devoted Player

The renown to marks-ratio doesn't have to be a big, gamechanging number and nothing is stopping anyone from trying to progress in elite-raids so the whole "unfair advantage" is just not a viable reason for it not to be implemented. These days you almost see more people forming up for the Elite-versions than the Normal versions in a new Episode as it is anyway.

Just becase somebody choses not to participate in something doesn't mean it's "unfair". With that logic we can't have gear, feats or ANYTHING beyond normal rewards tied to Elite instances if somebody is going to feel like they are being unfairly treated just because their own preference doesn't magically grant them all the extras lol.
    • Like x 2
  5. Proxystar #Perception

Actually I have a better idea.

1. I don't think you should convert renown to episode specific marks, reason being is that any marks we obtain during the course of a DLC is factored into the grind, so any possibility of achieving additional marks is just going to increase the cost of the gear. so I don't suuport that.

I do however understand the frustration of wasted renown, so my idea would actually be to create an elite exclusive style vendor and that when you've reached the maximum renown excess renown is converted to "elite currency".

Within that elite exclusive vendor we then include styles that only drop from elite, trinkets that only drop from elite, survival mode pets and base items and the like.

What you could do too is scale it to a relevancy window so as elite content gets older it converts at a lower rate so people don't abuse over gearing.

This rewards people for continuing to get renown, puts the other items back in the game while requiring them to complete a challenge to obtain them while not affecting the grind of any relevant content.
    • Like x 1
  6. Zneeak Devoted Player

There shouldn't be a need for them to readjust the pricing nor the grind if they make the renown to mark-ratio a small enough number to not heavily impact the system. Even if the number is small, it's still enough to not make the renown feel totally wasted after reaching the full renown needed for the Elite gear-set.

Besides, they're already adding more and more grind to the Episode vendor as the duration of an episode goes, the current total of marks we can get doesn't really account for that extra grind so I don't think "they have to readjust the grind" is really a valid reason, granted again that the number is of course small enough to not heavily impact the system.

Your idea sounds like a whole lot of grind for being exclusively tied to running elites. Perhaps an idea that is much better to tie into older content to add more relevancy to it imo.

They could put older instances on a rotation that while being on said rotation is rewarding you with a new form of currency that you can use within a vendor to buy this various stuff. That way, older content becomes more relevant and also available to more people, possibly helping to increase population across the tiers rather than just surrounding the Elite-instances.

If they want to create more longevity for Elite-instances they can also just do what they did to raids like PanE and ZooE and add a rare drop that is cursed by RnGeezus. :p Not too fond of that but have to admit that atleast it works as far as longevity goes. People are still running PanE and ZooE on a weekly basis, pretty much.
    • Like x 1
  7. Proxystar #Perception

There shouldn't be a need, but you know they will, they calculate the system based on anticipated duration of the DLC, including double and triple mark weekends, it's all calculated, they know full well what they're doing.

Sure they could give you some insignificant sum of episode marks but wouldn't you rather have a lasting reward rather than that, something that becomes worthless following completion of the DLC in any meaningful fashion, if it wasn't already worthless given the insignifant amount it would have to be so as to not affect the grind.

Also they do account for the extra stuff they add to the vendor, if you do the math you can see exactly how it's all accounted for through their application of bonus mark weekends. The reason people struggle with the additional vendor rewards is because they get bored and stop playing in general.

Again if the number is small enough to not heavily impact the system it serves absolutely no purpose to act as any form of meaningful reward and it certainly won't encourage people to continue helping with elite content when they've completed renown.

The purpose of the vendor is of course exactly that, it is a grind it's a grind that rewards players for continuing to run elite in a meaningful and productive manner and in a way that provides far more satisfaction than a meaningless sum of episode marks.

The rewards I am talking about being in there are exactly that things like the ultraman cape and man bat trinkets, which then provide people with a meaningful and transparent path to get those items without relying on RNGeezus or having 100mil, while also requiring them to run the very same content.
  8. Zneeak Devoted Player

you, me nor anybody not actually part of the actual dev team can't possibly KNOW what they will do with this and as long as the suggestion is considered just as I stated, in a way where adjustments doesn't have to be made, they shouldn't see a reason to. They simply make a change that make the renown a little more useful than straight up deleting it upon reaching max.

So they can actually do it? Good, we're on the same page then.

Do they? Are you counting in the cost of all of the gear sets and op collections and what not on that? That's exactly right regarding the struggle with additional rewards as far as main reason, because there's already enough grind and high pricing to what's already in the vendor with the content we have. Adding more grind to the same content doesn't really account for anything in that regard no matter if there's technically accounted for in the sense of the occational bonus-mark weekends.

Again if the number is small enough it absolutely serves a purpose to the OP's suggestion at hand, being that you actually get a small amount of extra marks out of your elite runs upon having max renown rather than having no use of it at all and just delete it.

I just feel that your whole vendor-idea would be a more meaningful implementation in regards to older instances in general and not just Elite-exclusive content. Upon rotating older instances you again have the potential to increase population throughout the tiers and bring back relevancy to more content outside of what's currently within our relevancy-range.
  9. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I should have paid attention, but I didn’t - can you donate renown to your league hall for prestige? For some reason I’m thinking you can’t, but that’s the most logical repurposing of excess renown in my mind. Just make sure it grants a healthy amount (like the unopened Tiny Starro Box).
    • Like x 1
  10. Proxystar #Perception

I think you misunderstood my idea, I wasn't saying add more grind to the same content, I was saying add the grind to all elite content, that's what the idea does. All renown provides you with elite currency, which works towards rewards in a vendor entirely seperate from anything else in the game.

This also encourages players to continue running all elite content, all way back down to the very first occurrence of it, helping new players immensely.

You encourage players to keep playing through meaningful rewards not insignificant marks :D

It's not that I'm against the OP's idea by the way outside of the fact I think the devs would jack up prices, I just think my idea is better lol
  11. Zneeak Devoted Player

I didn't misunderstand it, I just think that the idea you mentioned would be better suited for content in general and not just elite-exclusive content. More content to put in rotation for us to play, there will most likely be more players participating and it could possibly bring needed population throughout the tiers more so than focusing on Elite-exclusive instances.

That's the kind of reasoning they followed upon drowning the past couple of episodes with more, additional grind put to the vendor but no additional content or mark increase. :D

I think the OP's idea hits the mark where it's at and your idea (well not your idea, it's an idea that's been talked about in general by several others across this board) would be better off thinking bigger than just Elite-exclusive contents and rewards.
  12. Proxystar #Perception

I guess the reason I focused on elite was because the type of rewards I envisioned being in there warranted it to be elite exclusive.
  13. Zneeak Devoted Player

I really don't like the droprates involved with the current Elite drops, I ultimately had to shell out in-game cash for both rare items myself lol but as far as longevity goes they serve its purpose as mentioned earlier. Out of all Elite instances, people are still running those instances on a weekly basis.

If they could adjust the droprates a little, it's a concept they could stick with every now and then in future Elite raids.

As far as the vendor goes and your mentioning of the SM base items and what not, not to mention the various other things they could potentially keep adding, yeah I personally feel it would be a much better implementation surrounding more content, bringing some life back to the various contents throughout the tiers other than the current Elite-exclusive instances.
  14. Brother Allen Loyal Player

You cannot sadly but that is a great idea as well EK.
  15. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Even that I would be happy with. But deleting it or adding it and imagining there's some number in the background going up jut feels like a total waste.