Episodes are getting repetitive now

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Raven Roth, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't think it's just the re-use that is making people nuts this go around, but its the amount of re-use. 1) maps....all but one is re-used, some of it re-used recent and often a 2nd Gotham open world in a row and the exact map is just E3 gotham which was not that long ago...and CC park? really...we've spent a LOT of time down there....I half expected to run into starfish or reapers. 2) the baddies except the Raid bosses are just the same baddies we've seen since base game. Citizens, Mimes, inmates, plant and ice goons...all just re-skinned with metal materials. 3) the daily content is the same formula we've seen for what....the last 10 DLCs, with a return to the 'Kill X adds' missions that everyone pretty much universally voiced dislike for. 4) back to OP collections drops...again, something that most disliked. Just makes it all feel like more of the same 'ol same 'ol.

Add all that to the fact that this was what came out after one of the longest DLC droughts in a long time if not ever and it makes it even more lack-luster.

No one is saying they can't re-use resources, obviously they can. Maybe just get more inventive with it. I don't remember this kind of backlash when DC alert came out and it was just a reversed Cathedral duo map, cause other than the actual map, the run was very different. Honestly re-using the maps is probably the least of the woes on this DLC...IMHO.

Reinheld
    • Like x 7
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The problem is you have some players complaining only about the reuse of assets and locations. They aren't complaining about the road to an OP item, or how the open world sections play out or anything like that. It's just about the reuse.

If the items and maps are there and available for use and using them can get content to those players who seem to live only to devour it as soon as humanly possible, then it means that those folks who complain need to make a decision about what's more important: getting the content faster to satisfy their own self-imposed boredom (and it is self-imposed, nothing out there that says you HAVE to play it immediately) or being patient to get all the new stuff they want to see. Because unless Daybreak drops all support and development of all their other games and focuses all their efforts on DCUO, it's gonna be an either/or situation.
    • Like x 2
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Again, I go back to my statement about the assets and locations being central to the story they're trying to tell. If you're telling a story about an evil version of BATMAN giving various members of BATMAN'S rogue gallery devices/items to reshape reality, you're probably not going to have the story set in Terra Haute, Indiana and the bad guys being twisted versions of the RCMP.

You'd have to substitute Terra Haute with Hell, Michigan to pull that off. Indiana doesn't touch Canada, after all. :D

If you've got a Superman story, chances are decent that Metropolis will be involved. If Green Lantern or one of the corps is the focus, Oa might be visited. So for players to act upset, offended or even slightly outraged that the devs might use some of the maps or NPCs they've already created just comes across as (at the very least) highly silly to me.
    • Like x 2
  4. Minie Well-Known Player

I know, I'm trying to tell you if this dlc had positive qualities big enough to overshadow the re-usage of maps, people wouldn't complain about nearly as much. Ofcourse there will always be those who are straight up never satisfied and nitpick everything, but as a whole, much Less would be complaining (including me). Re-usage of maps is the most common and known complaint in DCUO, but c'mon you can't make a DLC with 80% reskins or re-usage and except people Not to complain about the maps. If DMP2 overall is a great improvement from DMP1 but still reuses maps, it wouldn't matter the maps are reused, the problem is nothing in DMP1 is a step up from prior DLCs in anyway, it's a downgrade, so naturally ofcourse people will point out the most common complaint, along with the rest.
  5. Minie Well-Known Player

I understand that completely, but that's a excuse. Do you know how many DC comics surrounded around the Justice League they could possibly use that aren't just in 3 locations? I'm no comic-head but im sure the options to work with are HEAVY. It's just super convenient for them to pick a story in Gotham because "Hey, well that's one less thing we have to work on", and honestly I don't blame the devs one bit.

That's actually the smart thing to do, purposely choose a story that takes place in gotham or lame old metro so you don't have to make a new map.

For example if we got a future DLC that takes place in the future or past of Metro in another timeline, they could remake a small part of Metro that's completely new and fresh to the eyes, since ya know.. Its another timeline, but instead it's used as an excuse to keep the map 100% the exact same just minor changes at most. So that "It's for the accuracy of the story" argument is B.S. I'm sorry.

[IMG]

Unless they are absolutely forced to choose stories/issues surrounded in gotham or Metro, It's just a deflection to implement new and improved maps.
    • Like x 1
  6. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Well, luckily Gotham is only about 20 square city blocks...so your point is made. If Gotham included any areas that are NOT the same ones we've seen now in E3 and Metal it might be a problem. (sarcasm)

And as I said, I was not as offended by the re-use of maps as other people...it's not the worst thing about this DLC...it just adds to the pile of not great. Metal 2 though.....amIrigtht?

And come on....Terra Haute and Hell didn't even make the list of worst cities....I'd say Gotham would rank high if a real place.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ces-named-least-desirable-call-home/39006457/

You could just say Michigan as a whole....Sorry MI, but it's been a rough decade or two.

Reinheld
  7. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Agreed.

Although I have to say Hand of Fate wasn't terrible once they moved the boss fights in doors but man oh man...the poor lag fest some endured trying to do the Operations when that DLC dropped. Woosah.
    • Like x 2
  8. Shn275 Well-Known Player

Not to mention actually doing enough damage to the boss to receive credit. Multiple groups fighting one boss; the group with the strongest dps usually got the credit.
  9. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Imma need u to chill out on hand of fate
  10. Awsome Well-Known Player

First. TerrE Haute is in Indiana, not Michigan, and second, Hell is quite lovely actually. I'm from Michigan, and while I agree that the state has seen better times, everything west of the I-75 corridor is still quite lovely.

I will say this to not get too far off the point. I don't mind recycled content. I actually love recycled content when it means major improvements to the game. And that is what happened here. There is no question that they had to save time with this episode because of the Switch release. And I am fine with that.

If the next release is just as recycled, but they (for instance) fixed pvp. That would be amazing. Then the next one is recycled, because they implemented a syndication system for old content, again, that would be phenomenal. Then the next three are recycled in order to work on transitioning from Unreal 3 to Unreal 4 would make me happier than a pig in S***. Another recycled episode then comes out and along with it even more significant QoL changes, would again, be great.

I guess my point is, the game is getting to a crossroads, where, they desperately need to start addressing some real issues, which when addressed, will bring on many new and returning players. But they don't have the resources to do both. So cutting corners to me is fine, as long as we are seeing real progress (and I think we are a little bit. I wouldn't mind a little more).

Besides, I play these games to fight Bane, and Poison Ivy, and Mr. Freeze. I don't understand why people are upset that we fight them multiple times. In the comics, the heroes are constantly fighting the same group of baddies. It only makes sense for it to happen here as well.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The Terra Haute reference wasn't for a bad city, it was a city that popped into mind from an old Steve Martin film, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Weird stuff like that gets stuck, it combines with my sense of humor and we get the part of that post that was intended to be a joke. LOL

As for Michigan, well it's had its share of lousy news stories of late (seriously, how can the Great Lake State keep having trouble with drinking water?!) but things are not as dire as they might seem.

As for Metal 2, I'm sure there's going to be a "reused" complaint or two to pop up, warranted or not.
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That might all be true if they haven't been making new maps and locations to fit some of the stories they've been telling.

Oa. Zamaron. New Genesis. The Gotham Wasteland. Central City. Titans Tower/Island. Atlantis. Mogo and Ranx. And so on and so forth. When the occasion (and story) calls for it, the devs give us something new. And when the story can be adapted to fit a location or even fits due to what's been set up in the game already (huge chunks of the Metro Battlezone for WOTL concentrate on areas where you encounter Lantern NPCs in the base game) they use it.

Or is it also an excuse that they're building on what they've already established?

If they had just reused the area in Gotham where the base game Mr. Freeze content chain takes place or the Poison Ivy mission happen without changing how they look or are presented in the base game I could maybe understand the complaints about reusing. Funny thing, though, those clips and shots they showed on the livestream look nothing like those areas in the base game.
    • Like x 1
  13. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I wonder if they’re not making new maps bc the amount of space the game takes up?
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I know It's in Indiana, I live in IL, and although we hate Indiana and Wisconsin as a IL state rule 'just because' we do know the states quite well. I was making a play on the fact he called out Hell MI, and although I mis-read the intent of the reference (I thought he was referencing it as 'Hell'...like literally being 'hellish' as Gotham so often can be), so I made a joke about the whole state being bad. BTW...a joke can be a reference where sometimes a untrue statement is made at the expense of someone...or in this case a state...in an attempt at humor. Like I've often heard that some Mommas are so large that when they sit around the house they sit 'around the house'...although I highly doubt anyone's momma is actually large enough to fit around the outer perimeter of even a small residence.

So yes....I will acknowledge that there are many areas of MI which are nice. I'll leave it to the residents of that fine state to weigh out what parts are what level of quality or disaster. Try not to take it so personally.

Reinheld
  15. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Wait a minute playa,

Here in Indiana we can't help that Illinois is 1 of the worst states in the union.

We can't help lower the taxes or get a budget that doesn't hurt the education system across the state, other than Chi town.

Or our governor's retirement plan is an actual profession and not an inmate number.

LoL, I guess not many been to southern Illinois to Metropolis, it would have been better served to use that place as the example,they do pride themselves in being the home of Superman after all.
  16. Phoenix Five Active Player

Without an imminent impending doom scenario, what would become of our heroes and villains?
    The circle will never break, for otherwise the heroes and villains no longer have a function or contribution to their impending doom scenarios. ;) In some ways it might even be recursive, as in their existence creates their existence, and with their existence their everlasting and never ending ways to be the star of a doom scenario or like how you say it, a genocide mission. <3
  17. Tabby Belle Well-Known Player

Given what I've heard about Daybreak Games, and their staff size....

Episodes come out quickly, but has repetitive and recycled content/resources.

or

Episodes come out at a slower rate, but have new content/resources.

PICK ONE.

This "gamer generation" lacks empathy, understanding, and is disgustingly impatient and entitled at times.

I pay about $2-3 a day if I average out my spending on this game... and I get several hours of entertainment per day. I'm currently happy with my return on investment.
    • Like x 2
  18. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Don't know about exact.... but Red Death is basically a Johnny Quick re skin
    • Like x 1
  19. Minie Well-Known Player

It is true. You basically proved my point, in those episodes they chose to go with episodes that were diverse/unique (well all episides are diverse and unique but you get what I'm implying). It's hard to justify using issues surrounded in 3 locations when off top they might have 100s to choose from. But like I, and Reinheld said , reusing maps isn't necessarily the issue, it's just a bonus negative that adds to the plate of bad delivery basically.

Like it's bad content, (boring, repetitive, disappointing) Plus a reused map.
    If it was good content, (interactive, engaging, improved overall) it woulds still be Plus a reused map BUT we would be enjoying the DLC as a whole so much that it would overshadow that small negative.
    But ofcourse some people still wouldn't be satisfied, those people just can't be helped either way. But overall you would see less bickering about it.
    • Like x 1
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Oh...I didn't say IL was good....it sucks...and yeah, our governors do tend to end up wearing orange...so what? We just tend to hate our neighboring backwards states....Except for long weekend camping trips and fireworks runs in June.

Reinheld