Dev Discussion Episode 42: Umbrax the Ultraviolet (Duo)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Millbarge, Dec 9, 2021.

1. BumblingB I got better.

I don't have a video, but I could try getting one later today with a leaguemate.

The turrets were active and the moment you walk into the room, you go into combat and they both start targeting you.
    The infinite spawns are the guys that walk over to repair the turrets. They will keep coming and coming. Sometimes there are more than 2-3 for each side.

I don't know if there is something that causes this to appear. Like did we burn him past a health point that causes things to spawn like this or not, but usually when we wipe, Lex is about 10% left of health.

All is fine as long as we one shot the boss. Every time we've wiped, it's worse, because we can't have full power or health before starting Lex.
    • Like x 1
  2. Impulsive Level 30

From what I remember turrets are disabled at first time but if you wipe and come back turrets are targeting you even if you don't attack Luthor. So this happened only after a wipe at Luthor.
    As for the repair guys I think usually are 2, one for each turret, not sure if they spawn at the same time and they indeed respawn if you kill the first one or first set which I don't find this annoying, the faster you kill Luthor the less problems you'll have with the repairmen.
  3. BumblingB I got better.

Okay, I reproduced it with a leaguemate.

You will see that we intentionally wiped at about 10% left health, because that usually is when we wipe the first time.

I'm going to come out and say it, this duo is a little beyond in damage for a 2 man group. You really need a healer or tank to do it. I think the way the adds will focus fire someone makes it the hardest. You absolutely have to zerg Lex. You can't slowly burn down the adds. This damage check just breeds more problems with how players think in group content. My 2 cents, but this duo is a problem.

Edit: Oh and at this time, there was only 2 repairmen spawning. But I've seen several up at one time.
    • Like x 2
  4. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Last time I ran it as elite, three engineers per turret were spawning; and they respawn immediately upon killing.

As for targeting the turrets after a wipe, they’re always up and active for me. The engineers will actually come chase me out into the hall and attack - I don’t even have to re-enter the boss room. And the turrets are firing the whole time, but the door is open and Lex is floating in start position (not yet aggroed).

If it’s supposed to be 6 engineers on insta-respawn; turrets essentially up all the time; and the 10 (or whatever) source monster swarm when Lex gets low - well, I won’t be replaying that elite duo 100 times to get renown.
    • Like x 1
  5. Kestral Committed Player

You know what at this point I will accept the ridicule for being dumb if someone could please explain this one to me.

It's great that there is a feat for not destroying the Terror orbs in first boss... but it's been over a week and I still can't figure out how to destroy one of those. It puts a crouching symbol above them which conveys nothing. You can't que them. Despite a damage bar occasionally showing you can not target lock them to attack.

Are my friend and I missing some written or spoken direction for what we are supposed to do here? I haven't been able to find a youtube clip where someone has broken one of these to see how it works yet. Why is their a feat for not breaking these when it's so non-intuitive in the first place? For reference I've only played normal mode twice the rest of the time on Elite if that makes a difference for the instructions.
  6. Penryn The Gadgeteer

When those crouch icons appear, look carefully at the boss and you should see a red arrow. That red arrow will be pointed at one of the players. That player needs to quickly run behind one of the Terror Orbs. The follow-up attack from the Construct boss is supposed to destroy the orb. It is important that the player that is being tracked position the orb between them and the boss so the attack hits the orb.

Sometimes this mechanic doesn't work well depending on the boss positioning. It is best to keep the boss in the middle of the room.

Outside of completing the feats, there is no incentive to destroy the Terror Orbs. You're better off fighting in the center of the room.

I don't think the messaging for this particular mechanic is effective. It makes sense if someone explains it to you, but the icons can lead a player to erroneous conclusions.
    • Like x 4
  7. BumblingB I got better.

Batman was attacking us during the cutscene.
  8. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Please as a failsafe can you make sure John Stewart joins you in the Sinestro fight? Sometimes he doesn't join you and he is quite important for the shield parts of the fight.
  9. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Just to confirm again that this issue is still there. I believe a hot fix went out a little while ago for it but I still have done duo runs recently (today included) where John Stewart doesn't join you in the Sinestro fight.
  10. Deathsaurus Well-Known Player

I have a question.
    I started this duo on one of my alts and suddenly, there was a message from Martian Manhunter in the beginning, like " let's look how Sinestro will be "rewarded"" . I don't remember having this on my main character, is this some condition for it to appear?
  11. Aetrius Well-Known Player

The bugs I'm still seeing in this duo are

- ultraviolet construct attacking during the cutscene on the first boss fight. It doesn't seem to matter which incarnation it is (Batman, Joker, Circe, etc.) but on occasion you will find them attacking you as you come out of the cutscene. I have no idea what triggers it, but it does seem to happen on both the regular and elite versions. It's not game-breaking, but its something that was supposed to have been addressed in a hotfix a while back. It doesn't happen nearly as often as it did before the hotfix, but it still does occur.

- turrets during the Lex Luthor fight remain active after a wipe. This seems to only be present in elite (of course I can't recall ever wiping on reg so there is that). The turrets continue to fire, and if you've damaged them enough for the engineers to be out to repair them, those guys will attack you in the hallway outside the room. Again, this is more of an annoyance than a game-breaker, but its also something that I don't think is working as intended.