Dev Discussion Episode 39: General/Overall Feedback

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Nov 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Please use this thread for overall comments about Long Live the Legion. What have you enjoyed most? How have you felt playing through? How does it rate against other episodes?

Please continue to use the other content-specific threads for bug reports and feedback specifically about each piece of content.
    • Like x 1
  2. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

First, I'd like to say this feedback takes into consideration we were all on lockdown during the development and I know how hard it is to keep things going in a situation like this.

The alert is okay. I liked the boss fights and the mechanics (not as much as WV though), but I didnt like reusing the watchtower, I'd rather have a operation to make full use of the open world than something that looks like the wt container facility ( although its not a giant issue to me, as long as its enjoyable I'm okay with any alert, just pointing this out because many people also didnt like the WT feeling of the alert), overall I like that its a quick run with some fresh mechanics. But I dont feel like the elite version is great in a situation like this, right now it is just a way for people to skip the raid and get elite gear instead of something that adds for the episode. A good use of the elite alert is to have accessories sold for elite alert currency when there are no open world bosses, in the current situation it is just going to make the episode shorter when its already too short...

...Having only 1 raid is fine once, but two times in a row isnt pleasing. There was enormous work in the open world, the styles and characters, but someone who just came back to the game probably thinks DCUO is shutting down soon, because even though you can the enjoy the open world, mechanics cant be seen with 50 ppl around a boss and the fresh look is fresh for a week or so (I know open world is great because you can reuse it anytime and many times, but players care much more about mow than they care about the future). Raids are the challenging, group based content that requires communication, gearing up and most of the times have a big story to tell, so giving up on this many times in a row doesnt seen good for the game...

...In my opnion the best thing you could do is have 1 alert + elite and 2 raids in 1 episode and then open world + 1 raid but no elite alert in the other, because right now we have this situation in which people arent done with WV bounties but they also need the new bounties, so population is split and you have to be on the right timing to do WV's or you just cant.
  3. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I’m never sure if bugs that come with a DLC launch update but are not specifically pertaining to the DLC should be reported here or in the Bug Section. So just to cover my bases here, I submitted a bug report in the bug section regarding affinity mods not properly activating that came with the launch update. Details can be found there.
  4. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

In my opinion:

The positive: I like the look of the open world, and the NPCs of Validus and Emerald Empress. Some of the base items are cool, and I like the increased base item limit! The styles (especially the vendor one) are nice too.

The otherwise:

This needed longer on test, especially the raid/elite raid.

Please ensure in future where possible that elite raids have a minimum of 2 weeks on test server before they hit live. The amount of bugs, disconnects etc. is ridiculous and for one raid (one of 2 instanced content) in the episode this is concerning. The raid needs some balancing as well in parts. First boss at the moment is probably the most promising and clean fight in the raid (albeit still doable), compared to second boss and especially last boss. The raid just seems unfinished, mechanically and in parts design wise. (No disrespect to anyone reading this who I'm sure worked hard on the raid under the current circumstances, just giving my honest opinion) If only 1 raid per episode it needs to be *fantastic* as Fractured God Sphere turned out to be.

Also please can we have a long break from open world bounty episodes? I'm burnt out from the Wonderverse episode bounties and now we have another one a few months later. Also as someone else said it is going to be hard finding people to run bounties from Wonderverse now this episode is up, and probably beyond that as well. Good luck trying to find 40+ players to beat Hydra with now, maybe a GU changing the timers or the structure of the bounties in Patchwork Themyscira might help with this?
    • Like x 1
  5. BumblingB I got better.

Honest response? It felt rushed and incomplete. I don't know if it was because of the pandemic or the new open world or both, but this DLC feels lacking. Especially if you 1:1 compare it to the Wonderverse DLC right before it.

The map is pretty, but it's so spread out. It feels like Gotham and Metropolis, areas of just nothing. The places to teleport between bounties are very awkward to use properly. The alert has 2 bosses, whatever happened to 3 or more bosses? The raid is pretty much like the alert. Why can't content have a reason to keep playing in it. Right now it's a easy spam fest. This content should not feel like a seasonal. Where I can just log in, quickly complete my marks and log out again. Or in this case, just go back to spamming the bounties.

The bounty system is a novel idea, but it's not like other MMOs. I mentioned this about the WV ones as well. The idea of open loot is amazing. The idea of a big open world boss is good. But the design of this is more around quantity and not quality. The vendor stuff that is associated with it is just priced in a way that if you are not spending every half hour doing all 4 bosses, you are wasting your time. Where in other games, you go to the B.A.M. and its on top of other questing that you have to do. Gives good loot, because they take a while to spawn. Then add in the fact that they have grind feats associated with it, it makes for a very unpleasant system. _It's_not_fun_!_

It's not all bad. There are a lot of touches that make for a very pleasant experience with what we have. I actually love the cutscenes in the alert. I love the fact we have new open word voices to the NPCs you are saving, which are done well. The mechanic in the boss fight for the alert is unique, with the shields and what not. The raid... as much as I hate magic related stuff, was very pretty. Emerald Empress was done very well. The models of the LOS are actually well done compared to the contemporary designs. In general, the Art Department did an amazing job! And I just LOVE Quislet. I just need to rank it up a bit to use it.

Overall, I enjoy the DLC, but again, it just feels incomplete and of course a chore when you think about the bounties.

I'm sorry if I sound rude or mean. I don't intend to be. I know you guys worked hard to get this out. I know that it's been a troubling time, but this DLC left me wanting.
    • Like x 4
  6. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

I like the overall look of the map. then again i am a sucker for techno-stuff.
    Also like the modern looking base items.

What I dont like: LACK OF CONTENT
    Seriously, as mentioned above, I understand the pandemic limits a lot of what can be done, and I also understand there isn't a big enough budget for more content; but, this feels unfinished, incomplete in some ways.

No solo missionS. Not all of us like to have to run missions with lots of people ALL the time. Sometimes a few Solo mission I can "q up for" are needed. I feel as though raids and alerts always get a higher priority, but it would be nice to have an episode with more than ONE solo mission.... This doesnt apply here because we didnt even get the one! I mean, seriously? NOT EVEN ONE?

As mentioned above, the teleporters are located in weird places that make it a bit difficult to navigate. At least on Wonderverse, they were "Right There" easily accessible and easy to find right next to the action. I know they "kinda" are in here too, but, because the layout of the map has several tiers - I dont know, it feels weird.

Thank you for not setting the "ceiling" too low as in Thanagar and Wonderverse Themyscira... for the life of me I still dont get what was up with that... specially on Thanagar... a world of bird-like flyers and the ceiling is lower than the building I live in... lol

That said, and as I already stated, the map is BEAUTIFUL - (If only my toons could live there....) OR ANYWHERE ELSE other than Metropolis & Gotham... ANYWHERE!
  7. Kuno Loyal Player

The bad:
    This episode lacks a duo and a second raid, period. We haven't had a duo since Metal 2 and we haven't had a second raid for the lastest two episodes. I never run alerts daily, so besides daily missions there's not much to do. The less content you put, the sooner the episode will feel boring and repetitive. Not everyone wants to spend the time on DCUO with the open world bosses loop.

Grounded raid again? I know its not the same as the JLD-hated-by-everyone-grounded raid, but why?
    Also it feel pretty straight and linear. Its fast on the other hand. But felt kinda meh. Like made in 5 minutes.

Im not happy about fighting AGAINST the legion, the brainwashed idea has been beated to death.
    The Fatal Five could have been present, but they were too at the Titans centric episode.
    Mordru and Emerald Empress working together? Trigon too? Too much magic.

The map looks so much like regular Metropolis, is the 31 century, the buildings could have been crazier and the tech more extreme.
    It feels kinda small, the ceiling is still too low. The areas never feel like a complete new zone, they look like a portion of a map.

The content always feels the same. We should get something truly fresh. For example: Smallville alert was amazing content and the last boss fight too. Also, that map wasnt used again. Same for the moon map.

The good:
    I like the new NPCs they feel refreshing because they are new characters in the game. Do this more often!

The tech environments are polished, the art department made a great job. Everything in the art deparment been looking consistenly good lately.

The styles for players look great, specially the Emerald Empress.

I like the OP item change, apply this to the old OP items too.
    • Like x 5
  8. Fuerza Fenix Level 30

I will try to get into as much detail as possible while giving the best and most constructive feedback.

1. Content.
    Maybe I'm a bit picky but I consider most of the DLC should tick all the boxes at least once:
    1 solo
    1 duo
    1 alert
    1 raid
    Sometimes there is no solo or no duo but we have 2 raid or 2 alerts and it can perfectly work if it helps to deliver a good story and a solid DLC.

This DLC falls extremely short, no matter if we continue having bounties (that worked reasonably well in the previous DLC).

Going into the specific alert and raid.
    Alert:
    Its easy, you can run it quickly and its ok yet it reuses a map (which is not necessarily a bad thing if done correctly) and feels unoriginal and simple.
    Raid:
    The map is small and that is surely what made the "no-fly" mechanics back so we were slowed down from encounter to encounter.
    It feels like a discarded or tweaked version of JLD's raid map but it works as it keeps the story moving and it can be done easily and quickly.

So, from a grinding marks point of view, this content is alright, no complains.
    From an aesthetic point of view, both alert and raid are underwhelming as it doesn't add much.

Bounties:
    While Wonderverse didn't really add many new bosses as Murk, Ares, Athena. Steppenwolf or Kalibak were not new (but fighting the Hydra was) but it worked with the overall story and added a good mix of characters.
    Unfortunately, other than Validus that is awesome btw, the bounties in this DLC are just a slap in the face. When you come to play this DLC you expect to fight the Fatal Five, not the Legion, no matter how much you tried to convinced us the Emeral Empress had this new powerset and could mind control them... that never happened in comics neither.
    Instead we should be fighting Mano, Persuader and Tharok.

Other comments about the content:
    Wonderverse had some fails (the raid itself is not funny after doing it once) and some characters were surely missed during this DLC (Where is Donna Troy? WW Hyppolyta, regent of Themyscira? Artemis? Wonder Girl?) and they should have been added even if as NPCs in the vendor areas... those small details really do a lot for fans.
    The idea of adding Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy and Lightning lad as holograms in the vendor area is actually alright, it makes sense considering you were going to use them as bounties (we already touched on this)
    However bringing the Titans into the mix needed to be delivered differently:
    First, the only modern titan that has been a Legion member is Conner Kent, Superboy. He is missing from the DLC. Fail.
    Second, there is another titan with ties to the future and the Legion, Bart Allen, Impulse/Kid Flash. He is missing from the DLC. Fail.
    Bringing back Supergirl as titan, Im guessing, is not a bad idea if we consider she used to be a member of the legion back in the Silver Age and also during the Threeboot... but even better as she and Brainiac 5 had a fling and this could have been implemented in the story perfectly.
    Unfortunately neither Brainiac 5 was fleshed out (that I could see) neither any kind of nod to their relationship was bring up with this DLC.
    As I said, small details really matter and it was makes the storyline relatable and charming.
    In this aspect this DLC serves to introduce the Legion to the game, which is great, but it absolutely falls short as its just that, a intro, more in line with Deluge (as intro to Atlantis) than Atlantis itself.

Character designs and styles, New Earth:
    This is probably the best part of this DLC, the new characters models are BEAUTIFUL, really.
    Absolutely faithful to comics and well done, nothing to complain about it as they all have their personality. Their costumes are awesome.
    The new player styles (Cosmic Boy and Emerald Empress) are simply two of the best styles ever done for the game.
    Previous styles like Donna Troy's style was rock solid even it had some issues (no bracelets?? even when the character model does have them?) and Grail's costume is perfection in every detail, so the new costumes added in every DLC are getting better and better in general lines.
    The new open map is really good, it brings you to the future and its really well done... but it feels a little bit empty, lifeless, some parts needed to have "something" else. This happened in Wonderverse as some parts of the map were nearly empty but the map was awesome too.
    Adding feedback about the map... we should see lots of space ships in the sky, roaming and moving around. Maybe I failed to see them, it is possible. Also the skyline is again a little low but better than Thanagar.

Suggestions and feedback:
    As posted in other threads this DLC could have had a different storyline that would have been extremely solid.
    Mordru as the big bad is ok, but using Mordru and ignore the White Witch or the Sorcerer's World... not so ok.

Duo:
    You could have created a duo where Saturn Girl travels to the present to recruit heroes as part of the Legion is missing (open storyline) and they need help.
    They arrive to the Legion HQ's and the science police is fighting against dark shadows and demonlings.
    Saturn Girl gets a distress call from White Witch who is inside the HQ unable to teleport and surrounded by shadows.
    So the heroes get inside fighting shadows through with two bosses:
    First, shadow golem and second, shadow White Witch which is a doppelganger created by Mordru who has kidnapped her.

Alert 1:
    The City is under Mordru's attack but things are getting worse, the United Planets calls for the Legion's aid as the prison planet is under attack, Validus and the Emerald Empress are causing Mayhem.
    Prison map, tweaked to keep the future aesthetic, powered prisoners fighting future prison wardens and bots and three bosses.
    First boss could be Sun Emperor, second could be Ol-Vir (rogue daxamite) and finally one of the remaining three fatal five members, either Mano, Tharok or Persuader (feat there).
    The alert ends with Validus breaking through and the Emerald Empress teleporting them all out.

Alert 2:
    Mayhem at Legion's HQ. Computo has been corrupted and infected with a virus by Tharok and it has sealed the Legion HQ with several legion members inside. Brainiac 5 manages to open a passageway into it.
    Quick alert, three bosses, clearing and each boss ends rescuing one of the founders.
    First boss could be some kind of bot. Second boss could be a mind controlled legionaire (with a chip) rotating the legion founders (feat there) and finally Computo.

Raid:
    Assault on the Sorcerer's World.
    Brainiac locates the White Witch legion flight ring and prepares a teleportation device so the heroes can strike and rescue her.
    Same map, Trigon could be replaced with Darkseid's shadow version in example. But this could remain more or less the same till the end when the White Witch released and opening a teleport gate for us to return to New Earth.

Hopefully you will find my feedback constructive enough.
  9. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Was fully expecting this episode to release in January for some reason, after the long farm of bounties with Wonderverse. A month or two more time in development wouldn't have harmed the episode and I would have happily waited for a finished product. This long with more time on test (especially elite raid). Testing feedback needs to be addressed as well, Charon was brilliant with this with Fractured God Sphere (Elite) but this time around was more of a hit and miss, probably because of the lack of time the elite raid was on test.

I don't personally mind revisiting reused maps (ideally some we haven't been to as much) provided that the content/design is complete and there are engaging, fun boss mechanics. If that is more feasible during this time then try go for that. Don't get too ambitious during this time at the cost of the quality of the content - this is something I have said before on a number of occasions.

You have to bare in mind on the flip side of the coin that you are expecting paying customers (again spending their earnings during this time when many are unemployed, working reduced hours or furloughed) to play a game (and begin to level the new artifacts) when content simply isn't ready for live server. I hope this is also taken into consideration.

For the record, I hope my feedback isn't offending any developers reading this - I know you guys did a great job and worked hard - but the reality is this episode wasn't ready for the time it was released and how long it had on test server. If it isn't ready don't put it on live server or delay it some.
  10. AJPro Committed Player

Issue lack of content.
    cost increases for elite weapons, curious as to why?
    easy fix for ladder to keep us playing with less content, have elite trincket and trinket belt with same price structure.
    i.e 4 bosses and 1 main 6-12 to 500 does not equate to 8-16 3 and 1 to 800
    • Like x 1
  11. Brit Loyal Player

On Nintendo Switch, this Episode feels downright unplayable. Not in a buggy manner, but in a population manner. With low population, the decision to remove all solo and duo content meant that literally we do a couple of dailies and then we are done. There is just no content at all.

On PC, the content is definitely doable, but feels very noticably light. I ran the raid in a hair over 20 minutes. The Alert took 15 minutes. Then a 30 minute cycle of the bounties for the purpose of dailies and everything is over. I have less than an hour's content on a daily basis. If the objective was to give us more to do daily and more reason to log in, it doesn't seem to be translating well.

Even the Bounties, which is not a playstyle I feel was a good move, we find now fewer of them than in Wonderverse, but still with a 30 minute rotation, which means just more waiting. Two minutes to kill a boss, and then five more minutes of waiting. While a bounty cycle might take 30 minutes, it definitely doesn't constitute 30 minutes of actual playing, and that is one of the major ways where it fails to be as fulfilling as getting instanced content.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel. I would greatly prefer a return to the Episode pattern that worked for years. Open world with 1-2 bounties and a couple of dailies/weeklies, 2 raids, 1 alert, and 1 duo OR challenge.
    • Like x 4
  12. Eve YouTuber

From the reveal stream to testing to live, I enjoyed every aspect of this DLC. Yes it was abit lacking with on duty content (Solo\Duo),
    but the returns of elite alerts was refreshing. I love the open world bosses, but I think they need to feel more rewarding. And have rewards added to the vendor more often, to keep people engaged. Yeah people run it for feats, but what then?

I enjoyed this in Wonderverse as well- the open world bosses in raid level was so fun to me. I usually enjoy much more solo content,
    but It made me love playing with other players. The styles for this episode - I loved the Magnetic Paladin that is inspired by Cosmic Boy,
    but the style inspired by Emerald Empress caught my eyes the most because it has a very requested feet style (Long heeled boots).
    So there is no doubt here we are heard with our wants and needs as players.

And just seeing Emerald Empress in general so engaged in the content made me happy, she is one of my favorite villains!
    And the fact we got to focus on more characters that aren't are usual suspects (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman.) Was fun.
    I don't mind the Teen Titans in the DLC, but they seem abit out of place. (Also, enjoyed them chasing me on test server lol).

The raid and alert are quite challenging on normal as well which is very important I think to me and many others. If people want easy they can go to event and gear up and once they are ready try the normal. It's not hard - just a bit more challenging. It makes the raid more fun even if I'm casual, because It's not just spanks and rewards. I feel rewarded for my heals and hard work. (Yet to run the raid on live, but I will this week.)

Overall this DLC is fun, it came as a surprise to get it two weeks after testing, but it was a fun surprise. It's refreshing, engaging and the maps are just wow-breath taking. I'd like to see duos come back though in future content, and I can't wait to see the additional rewards for this episode!
    • Like x 1
  13. gruntsmith Level 30

The episode is a pass from me. There is even less instanced content and I didn't enjoy the bounty system in wonderverse. I'll check out the next dlc and see if there is enough content to make me want to subscribe again
    • Like x 4
  14. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Thanks to wonderverse being so horribly stingy with catalysts, I feel burnt out on this episode before it’s even begun, seeing the whole thing stretched out before me all over again with the goggles and the open world boss feats that appear to have the same values as wonderverse. I’m seriously reevaluating my relationship with this game in a way I never thought I would.
    • Like x 4
  15. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I don't have a solid opinion on it yet, but as the biggest part of the DLC seems to be the open world (Finished both the reg alert and reg raid in less than 30 minutes...one bounty pass takes 30 minutes), and with the new bounty system it seems pretty cookie cutter with WV, it feels redundant. The open world area is nice, if a bit confusing as all the buildings look pretty much the same. The Raid is decent, if a bit short. Haven't tried the elite runs yet.

I haven't seen the top number in the OW bounties, but if it's 100, I'd guess i'm opting out of this one. I just won't have the time to throw at mindless filler grind this time.

BTW, can we put the delete option on the utility belts? I've got a few without the belt option which will fill up fast with the fact that every OW bounty drops gear until you hit 310 at least.
  16. DamageControlPS Active Player

I came back to the game nearly two years ago on throne dlc and the game was in somewhat good condition with two raids with ok elite raid variation coming out, and I stuck around and it was fun. Since bop there’s been a lack of conversation and understanding between you the devs and the player base. Since BoP you brought out 1 raid CTe and Fire and brimstone which is not a raid at all is was a complete failure of competence alto whoever made it. Wonderverse was saved by the nice long hard raid with amazing feat lost in the elite raid for the people to gear up and try. But you ruined that wonder experience by adding the bounties which were the most boring time I had to do on dc since doing main feat in legends pv e maps it was terrible boring and soul consuming. But I did it because I wanted the hardest feats and I got them. This dlc has been a complete failure on the end game players when you came back to bounties like it was a hit like last time but it wasn’t it was a time and soul consuming time waste for people who have to work during weekdays and then force them to farm on weekends when they have time to catch up with the rest. The bounties are making people log off early in the dlc because they can’t do no more especially since wonderverse last dlc. You gave no body a choice to let players decide how to get op items with bounty marks or normals marks. And this time you can’t save the dlc with the raid and feats because the raid is a huge dissapoinent in the challenge department. You took 5 steps back with this dlc and showed you Didn’t listen to the player base and went with what was planned. In conclusion the elite raid must be buffed and more feats added, and the bounties have to in the next dlc or the format
    Must change because not a lot of people sticking around this time.
    • Like x 2
  17. lllStrichcodelll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lets make it fast and easy: "Too rushed".
    • Like x 5
  18. Bigmantrade New Player

What happened to this game!? It's just one thing after another that's being ruined.

I miss DLC's like Origin Crisis. Actual challenging and enjoyable content which isn't repetitive and boring.

Previous & current DLC are just awful. I've spoken to many people, and not one of them like the bounty farming. Birds of Prey DLC was quite good, it had faults but I thought I could continue enjoying the game with content like this. Wonderverse came out and I thought "ah they're just trying something new, no-one likes it, they will learn from it, no problems" then this DLC comes out and it's basically the same but even worse!

If DLC's remain similar to this, I'm quitting the game. It's such a shame because previous DLC's have been enjoyable, but with the rate it's going. The game WILL completely die.

We need DLC's with a solo and/or a duo, 1 or 2 alerts, 2 raids, 1 currency, normal daily missions (with original bounties weekly missions). There are other ways to give the game variety other than reducing the amount of instances and adding extremely boring, repetitive bounties!

I could write a LOT more on why the game is ruined (like PVP, un-fixed bugs etc). But I have accepted these. PVE is about to die at this rate.
    • Like x 1
  19. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Positives

The raid I enjoy it's short and fast and can be complete under 20 minutes. Unlike Wonderverse, had only two bosses despite a long path to Olympus with came off as never ending adds despite being cut in half. It took as long as the bounties. What cracked me up in the cutscene my character was using a cellphone in the 31st century. Do they still use a cellphone in the 31st century? I figured it would of been some 3d hologram with the other person on it like you are basically talking to them face to face. Also wonder who am I talking to? Who do I know that is in the 31st century? Considering I'm from the 21st century.

Alert, enjoyed it, not super long just like Wonderverse, it's not beating your head against the wall to force yourself to get through it.

Open world missions, much better then Wonderverse, went from 30 down to 18.

Feats are much easier to complete. Could never get the one where you don't stand in the pool in Wonderverse alert, not enough time to roll out. Even if you did, still get effected by it.

The art work is awesome, but did find the collection nodes sometimes blends in with the colors. But disappointed no flying cars.

Bounties I do find a little more tolerable then Wonderverse, I couldn't stand them in Wonderverse..exception to Saturn girl, hate the mind control effect. But the change to having Validus com out whether we failed one or not to come out was a nice change. Haven't failed one yet, and hope not to.

The goggles was a nice change to the op item, much better, hope it's here to stay.. and continues onto the next dlc.

Negatives

Feel like it is a copy and paste of Wonderverse minus the solo. Got repetitive bounties you do over and over. Still on a thirty minute timer. Was hoping that would of change.

Not the fan of the grind for the op weapon. The neck and rings stayed the same from Wonderverse but 500 to 800 not cool. Why? because we get 8 instead of 6 this time? If you take into a count, there are 3 bosses and compare to 4, we are minus 4 there and went from 12 to 16 which is +4 on the final boss compare to hydra...we are getting the same amount of marks. So don't understand why the op weapon is 800.

As I mention before no solo or alert but yet the gear price is the same from Wonderverse.
  20. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

I really like the new base, thank you it was a good addition.

If anyone has any legion items they cant sell but dont want send them my way on us ps
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.