Dev Discussion Episode 35: False Idols 8-Player Raid

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Charon, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Charon Lead Content Designer

Greetings!

Welcome to the 8 player raid - False Idols. Get ready to rumble with the gods of Olympus and the Merciless, slayer of said gods.

There are 3 modes - Event, Normal, and Elite that are ready for you to rock out with. The Event version is time limited and available to all players who are around level 14 and above.

The Normal and Elite versions both require you to be CR264.

Please post feedback, questions, and bug reports here.

\m/ Rock on. \m/
  2. Maxwill Committed Player

I and few other leaguemates had too much lag in elite version of the raid .I'm on EU PC btw.We couldn't even play at the 1st boss, the lags started with the 1st wave of adds before we even get close to the 1st boss.
    Also I had lag in the normal version of raids on test server during first week of testing.I thought you had that fixed...
  3. Luke© Well-Known Player

The 1st boss, the gorgon one, is always getting me stoned as a tank (stuned). Even if i look into a completely other direction. There's definitelly something wrong.
    • Like x 1
  4. Charon Lead Content Designer

Re: Lag - I've gone through and double checked the spawning mechanics of the waves and nothing shows as a smoking gun to cause lag. We'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and early next week to see if it gets reduced or worsened through server stresses.

Re: Gorgon Caresnake Stare - that ability hasn't changed since its original introduction and I have not been able to reproduce this on internal servers. The gorgon uses the same one as the matches in the gorgon trash mobs leading up to the Ares fight as well. The lag mentioned above could be causing issues. I am making it so it applies faster - so there is less time for you to look away when it determines you to be applicable and when it actually applies the effect.

This should help in creating the impression that yes, you were deemed worthy of being turned to stone but before I could turn you to stone you looked away. I'm also adding rage crash immunity to it since that wasn't done in the original incarnation of this ability.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ully Committed Player

Elite feedback:

Second Boss bug: The lava was missing from the lava phase.

• Like x 1
  6. Charon Lead Content Designer

I'll have an engineer look at server lag for this time period. Nothing in the data has been touched regarding this mechanic on the PC Test server so the only thing that can influence this is likely server lag causing things to not communicate with one another when they should (i.e. having lava *objects* spawn when they are told to via a region command and not visually doing so if there is region lag due to X reason). If you can provide time stamps of your play time that will help narrow down server database dumps.

Thanks.
    • Like x 2
  7. Ully Committed Player

We were in the raid yesterday ( Friday 13th) from around 9:30 pm-11:00 pm eastern time.
  8. Charon Lead Content Designer

Spooky stuff.

Thanks!
    • Like x 1
  9. Ully Committed Player

[IMG]

:D
    • Like x 3
  10. Maxwill Committed Player

Around 1 am uk time on Thursday.Ever since I didn't get the chance to go in again.
  11. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

This raid (in elite) was a nice surprise! Despite recycled areas and some NPCs the actual boss mechanics were interesting and you need good group co-ordination. The second boss is especially interesting and I particularly like the forge phase with the weapon adds (in elite more so).

Before you fight the Merciless are the lightning spawns intended to be there? I was always curious about this as to whether it was a bug or intended.
  12. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Why did the room flood with lava and kill us all during the post-fight cutscene?! Second boss.
  13. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

I think during one of the regular runs I did recently that happened in my group where the lava was still on the ground after boss/cutscene. Once we moved out of the room away from lava we no longer took damage. You must have been unlucky on the exact timing that that happened.
  14. Charon Lead Content Designer

Lightning is supposed to be there outside of the boss fight but clears away when the skies clear. In Elite there are three lightnings that track certain roles, keeping those roles on their toes a bit more than the random lightnings. Those don't activate until the fight does and they stop when the fight resets.

The lava not showing up or showing up after/during the cutscene is related to lag. The testers nor myself saw this behavior at all internally or on the test server. The live environment introducing lag is causing these issues. As I've said, I'll talk to engineering about it to see if there's anything that can be done with the regions in particular and I'll try to add some data solutions to recycle commands to turn off/turn on things until they have done what they were told to do in a laggy live environment.
    • Like x 1
  15. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

EU server has been somewhat laggy in recent weeks, both me and BPM are on EU side. So could be relevant here.
    • Like x 1
  16. Danne0075 Well-Known Player

I haven't run normal yet but Charon you've simply proven again that you know your stuff when it comes to making raids. I hope that the management notices it and lets you work on more raids because every raid you've handled have always been enjoyable.

The mechanics in elite are great and it feels like a good elite raid. Only negatives are the re used maps but at the same time the bosses and room mechanics feel unique and bring a lot of joy.

The only part that I felt was maybe too easy was the cerberus fight. It felt a bit like the sub boss part right before was the real boss fight.

Other than that it was a great raid.

(All the feedback is from running the elite version of the raid)
    • Like x 4
  17. Cyro Committed Player

Was on the first boss and the sayrt big attack knocked me out which is fine but he also took my weapon from 100 to 0, it broke my weapon with one attack. I had repaired right before the boss fight and all my other gear was around 89.
  18. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The amount of forged weapon adds in the normal version of the Living Forge fight is absolutely ridiculous. This fight is tougher than every other boss in the episode put together just because of those.

Even if the whole group understands that they work on proximity aggro, the tank is likely to be overwhelmed just by the sheer amount of damage going in. And the damage splitting makes killing them before that happens even more difficult.
    • Like x 1
  19. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

A second tank helps. That fight isn't bad
  20. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

We tried two tanks and still failed miserably.
    • Like x 1