Test Discussion Episode 34: "JLD: Pub Crawl" Duo

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, Mar 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penryn The Gadgeteer

After today's hotfix, the Oblivion Bar section of the duo goes by too slowly. You're only attacked by 2 enemies at a time now and there is a lot of downtime in between waves. That whole section of the duo feels unnecessarily slow.
    • Like x 2
  2. Carilee Active Player

the smashing of the orbs need to be a little more forgiving in terms of timer and radius or no one will want to run this duo by just queing into it. that last boss fight is going to frustrate a lot of ppl. maybe have a countdown timer once both the orbs are picked up. plus at first I was just hitting square to smash it, until realized it only works if you do L2 + square. maybe a red circle on the ground around him that shows you where to stop and hit the smash button also.
    • Like x 4
  3. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

I may be summarizing or repeating others but since I couldn't post just think of it as reinforcement.
    • There needs to be a cut-scene skip in the Oblivion Bar, I realize how much work and effort goes into design and animation and voice acting but watching through it everyday for 3-5 months (the time span of the episode) will start to wear on you. I understand there are 2 players and 1 may want it so have it so the cog needs to be turned twice or by each? Just a thought because it is on the longer side
    • The Harley Duo has the first room filled with joker goons that can attack at once and there wasn't an issue, there doesn't need to be the waves of 2 adds it just draws out the fight for an unnecessary reason. You could have 2 waves of all the adds etc but to split them up and the delay between each spawn these adds are dying in a few seconds at 258 cr which will be much lower than what we will eventually have on live
    • Nothing wrong with Teekl fight
    • Final fight itself is fine but obviously the mechanic needs to be cleaned up. Either have the sparks always stay on the ground so a player would need to navigate around them to slam the orb as I can see one issue currently is that the sparks can spawn mid-air based on timing and knock the orb out of your hand as it spawns leading to a fail.
    • Also once you fail the orb immediately rolls right away to the edge of the map preventing any possible second attempt
    • The damage on the fail is fine but during Shazam's normal attacks his orbital strike is still hitting me for 10k+ each attack so that between fail phases and I could see alot of complaints that players die
    Also Bug Report Shazam can drift which will make it nearly impossible to catch up to him to slam the orb on him.
    • Like x 1
  4. TLantern Developer

To address frustration on the orb mechanic:
    - AOE size when smashing the orbs has increased
    - The knockback pulse Shazam does during the mechanic has been removed
    - The window of time to complete the mechanic has been increased by a few seconds
    • Like x 4
  5. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

The Shazam boss fight was about as far from fun as I can imagine. After multiple attempts, having the orbs knocked away or refusing to break when slammed or not seeming to have any effect at all, we somehow by luck got three rounds done. And then the instance glitched with Shazam standing unmoving and untouchable in the center ring, throwing off sparks. We had to leave the instance (because the game, of course, believed we were still "in combat") and shared a few nsfw comments afterwards.
    • Like x 1
  6. gen1CEsyde Level 30

Thanks tlantern. That should be just about perfect! I will run it again and see how it does.
    • Like x 1
  7. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Feedback 03/18/ Hotfix
    • Duo run was 8:55min with 1 healer and 1 dps and it took 4:08min just to do the Oblivion Bar talking/add waves and that wasn't because I was the only dps the adds were dying in a few seconds its just with that cut-scene length and the time it takes to go through each add wave is half the length of the entire duo. By comparison we reached Shazam at 6:30min so it took 2:22min to do all the hallways and the 1st boss but double that time to do the 1st room.
    • The Orb smashes on Shazam work fine, there was no issue smashing them and no issues with getting them knocked out of our hands. If you wish to make the duo a tad bit harder/more engaging on the final boss I would have more of the electrical sparks spawn that could stun you and make you drop the orb. The knockback and orbital strike are gone from Shazam so there is no danger to death fighting him.
    • Like x 1
  8. E Clip Dedicated Player

As other's mentioned, this duo is unnecessarily long:

- talking to 10 or so demons .... no comment. Would love to see this reduced to 2 and thats it, no need for more. Pressing E isnt my idea of fun sorry.

- 5-6 groups of 2 adds that spawn every 20 seconds isnt fun. 2 groups of 4-5 adds or even more adds can be added per group since they pose absolutely no threat even at 258 CR will be more than enough imo. 2 groups should make this phase more bearable.

Teekl seems like it can be a fun fight, but something isnt right there and I cant put my finger on what that is.

Shazam fight seems very disproportionate to me in the sense that you fight him for 2-3 seconds and then waste 30-40 seconds on his negative/positive balls mechanic for I believe are 3 or 4 phases? Either way, I think a better solution would be to add no more than 2 of these phases and buff his health a bit to compensate. His damage seems a bit excessive and some players might have a problem with it, but I think it should not be changed because players can use shields and/or consumables, or heck even roles in the duo.

Whats up with the obsession of making all adds in this game stun you every 3-4 seconds? I really don't get this, its nothing but an annoyance, I would even call it mechanic, its simply annoying.
    • Like x 1
  9. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report/
    I ran into a couple of invincible NPCs at the end of the duo in the regular version:

I decided to wipe and was able to kill them without issue.

I initially thought it was a matter of splitting the NPCs, but that didn't seem to be the case after respawning.
  10. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    For the Event version of the duo, the boss entrance portals for Teekl and Shazam do not remain open.

I was under the impression they should have remained open.
  11. DoctorP2 Well-Known Player

My leaguemate and I played the newly tweaked version of the duo last night and found -- in contrast to the original version with the pushbacks, orbitals, and narrow time window -- that it was just about perfect. Still a challenge (had to down at least one soder during the fight when Shazam decided I was his personal whipping-boy), but the orb mechanic is now humane and doable. Thanks for the adjustments!
    • Like x 1
  12. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Bug Report
    In the normal version of the duo, the "School of Hard Knocks: Pub Crawl" feat is being triggered just for clearing the Oblivion Bar section. Typically you don't get credited for this type of feat unless you complete the entire instance without using a consumable.
  13. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    I do have some concerns about the duo mechanics enabling certain forms of griefing. The Shazam fight in particular seems like it could be pretty bad. What are you supposed to do if your partner keeps picking up one orb and just running around the room without smashing it? It seems like the fight will just go on forever since you can't carry both orbs at one time.

I had one duo run where my partner was exhibiting similar behavior. Fortunately, he got bored and quit to go join an Elite raid run.

On the Teekl fight, will the pinned person eventually be knocked out if they aren't freed?
  14. Penryn The Gadgeteer

Feedback
    One thing I don't like about the Shazam fight is that the smashing mechanic isn't friendly to players utilizing pet powers. Your pet goes "kaboom" the moment you pick up the orb since the pet isn't on your smashing loadout.
  15. DCUO Addict Committed Player

I ran both the event and normal versions of the duo for the first time today. I think they're both tuned about right. I would say that the Teekle fight could be a little harder on the normal version. I like that one person can carry and break each orb if their partner isn't catching on or has be KO'd. That makes the mechanic still fun and forgiving enough not to get super tedious.

BUG Report: In the event version, Shazam didn't go back to the center during the orb mechanic and stayed pretty far off to the side. It took us a while to figure out we had to break the orbs in the area where he should have been (the center), not where he was (the side).
    • Like x 1
  16. L T Devoted Player

Ran the regular version again last night.

First bar part was about right.

Teekl fight-- mechanics were noticable, but not difficult. Fight was easy.

Shazam fight-- this fight feels pretty trivial now. The mechanic was simple and Shazam didn't seem to hit very hard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.