Dev Discussion Episode 31: 'Stemming the Tide' Solo Story Mission

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Charon, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charon Lead Content Designer

Hey villains and heroes,

With Episode 31, we are combining elements of past "pointer missions" with some of story telling of some of the more well received solo missions of yore. There are three versions of this:

Story Mode:
    • This is the first time you play through the story. This mission acts similar to a pointer mission, directing you to various pieces of content while also providing more in-depth story bits contained in instanced maps and open world locations. It will cover the story beats of the Starro content from last year as well as introduce how the content has evolved today.
      • Starro daily missions unlock to new characters via this mission now. The old pointer mission has been deprecated.
    • The difficulty here is shared with the Event mode difficulty, meaning clamped up (not down) content with easier mechanics.
    • Feats cannot be obtained inside the instanced content in Story Mode.
    • You can only play this long mission chain once per character.
    Event Mode:
    • Solo game play version of the Story Mode that is condensed into 2 maps and 1 queue. You can find this in the Event tab on the On Duty Menu.
    • Content is clamped and game mechanics are easier.
    • Feats cannot be obtained inside the instanced content in Event Mode.
    Normal Mode:
    • Solo game play version of the Story Mode that is condensed into 2 maps and 1 queue. You can find this in the 1 Player tab in Tier 8 on the On Duty Menu.
    • There are no clamps here and the full breadth of mechanics are available and active.
    • Feats are achievable in this instanced content.
    Please provide any feedback or issues with any of the above content here. To help facilitate faster iteration and consideration, please indicate which mode and faction you are commenting on.

Have fun storming the temple!
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Classic. I knew I liked you.
  3. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Just wanted to say thank you for giving this solo mission a Hero/Villain twist. Joining up with Ocean Master in a way that actually makes sense for villains (basically, because he tells you to, lol) is refreshing, instead of having to convince yourself that you really want to work with Mera, lol.

Even the Flash dialouge is well done, "Can you do that without killing anyone?" and the fact he refers to the other villains as our allies is great. Would love to see more of this in future content. It doesn't have to be huge, like totally different bosses or anything, just the slight differences in dialogue and the NPCs we're supporting makes all the difference in the world.
    • Like x 1
  4. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

Sometimes Flash goes invincible at the end of the fight, where no matter how much damage you do to him his health doesn't go down. This happened to me earlier and I notice some others have also experienced this issue.

It's inconvenient just to let my toon die and then restart the fight as the fight is somewhat lengthy. Please fix :/
    • Like x 2
  5. Charon Lead Content Designer

Just to clarify the order of events - is Flash still invulnerable after Captain Cold has peaced out? There was a fail safe for that but I'll look into a fail safe for the fail safe, just need to know where it's happening at so I can insert it there. Thanks!

6. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

For me it happened after CC froze Flash.
    • Like x 2
  7. Charon Lead Content Designer

Thanks for the info!

8. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I experienced this today too :(
  9. Miss Adora Loyal Player

Yesterday I I died at Ocean Master (because foolish enough not to go for the healing barrel) after putting the fourth stone down. Once I got up to fight Ocean Master again, the fight didn't start. It bugged out so I had to do the solo over again to beat Ocean Master.
  10. Charon Lead Content Designer

Was this in the same phase as others described?

I just checked in a backup to the backup mechanic so that will hopefully resolve it. Something in the Live environment is causing the conflict so I can't reproduce it internally but the extra backup should address any oddities for this particular phase.

If it was in an earlier phase, let me know.

11. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Nope, it was after Captain Cold froze him. After he broke free, his health just wouldn’t stop regenerating back to 15%. Also, why are encasements still a thing?! Flash can’t be touched by my weapons and munitions abilities. All my characters are weapons based, but my mental and gadgets characters can just spam guass grenade/psychic shock while he’s encased, so that’s just a minor annoyance. My munitions character literally just has to stand there until he’s out. :mad:
  12. Charon Lead Content Designer

Found the issue causing that. It'll be in a hotfix soon (probably not the very next one but the one right after).

13. Trinidad James Loyal Player

Same thing with Mera on Villan side, also I can't lift up the stones well I can but I have to jump on top and then lift.
    This solo is beyond buggy/annoying. Thank you for the fast fixes tho.
  14. Charon Lead Content Designer

It was fixed for Mera as well. What size character do you run that you're having issues with the stone faces?

15. Trinidad James Loyal Player

I use small Spark.
  16. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

It just happened again on my first and only villain run through. Thanks for breaking my immersion. :(
  17. Charon Lead Content Designer

Took off the "Must Be This Tall to Ride" sign and now the smallest character body types can grab the face without jumping. That'll go in with the Ocean Master/Mera fix.

EDIT - don't think the data made the latest push so it may be later. A fix is incoming, however.

• Like x 2
  18. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I haven’t had an issue with Flash since the hotfix, but seems others still are reporting it. Think you’re gonna need safeguards for your safeguards for your safeguards :p Also I’m having issues in both this solo and that Qwardian event solo where the fight resets if I go too close to the door keeping me inside :(
  19. E Clip Dedicated Player

Its still happening, it seems that when he is damaged below a certain threshold before he is frozen, he just heals back all the time.
  20. Charon Lead Content Designer

I put backups for the backups of the backup mechanics.

The boss reset overlay has been extended for the Mera/Ocean Master fight (couldn't repro it in the Flash fight) and in the Panopticon anniversary instance.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.