Dev Discussion Episode 30: The Escape (Raid)

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by JackFrost, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackFrost Developer

Hello everyone! The three versions of the "Earth 3: The Escape" Raid should now be live!

Note that the 'Event' version of the raid is accessible by any player level 10 or above, and will only be available for a limited time. Also note that the Elite version of the raid doesn't require that you've completed the Normal version.

I'm going to be monitoring this thread for any feedback specific to this raid. If you see any problems, or just have any feedback about any of the three versions of this raid, please comment here. Also, please mention if your feedback is specific to the Event, Normal, or Elite version of the raid.

Thanks for playing DCUO, and I hope you enjoy all of the new content!
  2. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

Hey JackFrost! Just wanted to ask a few things regarding the the Elite version of The Escape.

- Is Super Woman's Lasso intended to randomly one shot? (because it does)
    - Does Super Woman's Lasso have a max range? I ask because even completely out of range, she can still kill you across the room.
    - Super Woman's Mind Control Lasso is supposed to be interruptible via a lunge as the range counter indicator above her head suggests. Yet she does not get knocked down.
    - Is there an effective means to get someone out of mind control effect?

- Is Ultra Man's Ultra Vision intended to block break? No real effective means to get around this attack otherwise.

- Lastly, how many times do Ultra Man, Owl Man, and Super Woman rally each other? Are they supposed to get KO'd at the same time or in a specific time frame?

I understand if you are unable to answer all the questions regarding this.
  3. JackFrost Developer

Hey! Thanks for the questions.

I'm looking at Superwoman's lasso attacks. I think it's reasonable to say that some tweaks need to be made so they're more fair in elite mode. This includes the window for interrupting her Lasso of Submission (mind control) attack. For what its worth, if she isn't interrupted at the beginning of that attack, the player she targets should be able to be broken out by damaging them. I'll look at all of this today.

Similarly, I'm looking at Ultraman's Ultra Vision attack (I'll consider removing the block-break; it was an ability based on an older one, so like you are suggesting, the block-breaking may not make as much sense in this context), and will look over some of Owlman's attacks as well.

The bosses will rally each other under certain circumstances (without limit). I don't want to give it all away, but I'll say that you should have to fight all three together for at least part of the fight. I hope this helps!

Also, unfortunately I don't believe these tweaks and changes I'll be working on making will be available on the live server this weekend. I believe they should make it out early next week though.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    • Like x 2
  4. Hollow Gohan Well-Known Player

Superwoman's lasso is a random one shot still with no tell in both the first and last boss. It's not a matter of being able to lunge the mind control that is the issue, it's the fact that it hits me for 40k health from seemingly nowhere.

Owlman's reflective shield should have some sort of tell and be much more noticeable amidst the total chaos that is the final boss. Again, it results in 40k of my health disappearing from seemingly nowhere. This is all assuming I'm not missing some sort of mechanic of course.
  5. JackFrost Developer

Thanks for the additional feedback!

Superwoman's Lasso Slam should be doing considerably less damage if you block. There are a few other special attacks she does that I'm looking at tuning more, but any changes won't immediately be on the live server.

Owlman should be doing a big animation where he activates a device above his head, and he should have a prominent looking shield/bubble around him while it's active. I realize it's not always easy to tell in the middle of a chaotic fight. I'll take a look at the damage though.

Thanks again!

Edit: Just to follow up, I did end up finding a problem with the damage that Owlman's Reflective Shield ability. It was doing quite a bit more damage than it was supposed to in every version of the raid. A fix is forthcoming. Thanks again for the report.
    • Like x 1
  6. light FX Steadfast Player

The owlman shield u spoke of, is this for escape elite only? Because in panE fighting em at 2nd boss a league mate of mine was repeatedly killed and his combat log said owlmans shield was reflecting and killing him. But most attempts we saw no shield or saw an almost transparent shield. It was very light gray and hard to see. Ive tanked it too and watched closely and never saw em activate anything over his head either. I see u are fixing the damage for the shield in both versions. Will the visual also be fixed for both version?
  7. JackFrost Developer

Owlman doesn't use the Reflective Shield ability in the Event Mode of the raid, but does in the Normal and Elite modes. The shield is a grey-ish color, and partially transparent. He doesn't use the ability super frequently though. The change I made shouldn't affect the visual shield or animation. Can I ask--which platform are you playing on? Are other folks not seeing the shield or animation when he activates it?

Thanks!
  8. TeflontheIcon Well-Known Player

Sup, No not only do I not see any type of animation you speak of, I also haven't died from this attack so I wasn't aware of it. So no the shield animation has little or no tell. UsPs4 platform. Oh yes, Happy belated T-Day to you sir.
  9. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

I see the animation. He'll put his hands above his head. I don't see the shield, but I always see his hand animation. It's a lot easier when I tank to call it out rather than any other role, but I can still see it when I'm not tanking.
    • Like x 1
  10. light FX Steadfast Player

Most of my league is pc. We have seen the grayish transparent shield in pan. Its on the bot 1st then transfers to owlman. I didnt notice the animation for when he activates the shield but maybe i missed it. Im sure in the next day or 2 we will run it again. I will watch closely and see. Previously u said "big animation" when he activates it and "prominent shield" and imo that shield is not easy to see. Im not asking for it to be changed at all. Was only trying to get some clarification on how its supposed to work and whats its supposed to look like.
  11. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

I can confirm this. I'm on EU (PC) and I can see the hand clap but not the shield VFX.
  12. spack2k Steadfast Player

Just wanted to give some feedback, that mind control mechanic is getting boring and annoying since it emptys ur hard earned supercharge bar... that mechanic and being allowed to die only once in elite content dont work very well together and success becomes to much dependent on luck.
  13. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

This can be regarded to both raids in this episode.

Sometimes I can target the walls of boss rooms as I am doing my rotations. Not only is this annoying in that the camera will point me away from the boss, but I shouldn't be able to target anything that isn't an add, boss, or in the case of missing a mechanic in the last boss of the elite version of this raid, a mind-controlled ally.
  14. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

The elite version of this raid is great and very challenging. A lot to look out for which I like.

There is one mechanic however which irks me a little. Its the red shard thing that KB3000 does. There isn't a great amount of warning in regards to which direction it is going to do it in, and with little time to avoid it if in the firing line, so to speak. If you're hit by it the odds of you not being KO'd are low.

Just a bit more warning maybe, and always ensure KB3000 faces in the direction it is going to 'red shard' at in this red warning period before doing that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.