Enrage timers

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Jamie, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Jamie New Player

I saw this posted in another forum about another game when someone suggested adding enrage timers and I think it sums up the majority of DCUO's player base as well.

"
    I'm strongly opposed to this. The reason has already been touched on here, but I'll provide my thoughts on the matter anyway. As many others have mentioned, this mechanic acts only to ensure players are meeting an optimal damage per second; some might argue; "Why not? If a team aren't efficient enough, surely they should be punished?" and while I agree with the sentiment, the implication is something very different. What happens is this; the group are killed by the enrage, the team evaluate the problem, and more often than not decide to replace the player who isn't meeting the damage checks.

This does not encourage group play; It serves only to encourage elitism and anti-social behaviour. Not to mention that optimal damage over time shouldn't be the key factor in overcoming an encounter."

I hope the dev's learn from their past mistakes and decide to get creative with making content difficult instead of just taking the cheap and easy way out.
    • Like x 21
  2. Poo New Player

At 1st I thought this was a resurrected thread :eek:
    • Like x 2
  3. Jamie New Player

I tend not to resurrect threads. That requires using that function in the upper right hand corner that no one seems to know what it does. :) My only hope is that the dev's read it and realize that this type of mechanic is hated by many people not for adding difficulty but for being a cheap and unimaginative tactic that degrades a players experience.
    • Like x 2
  4. Notangie New Player

Another reason enrage timers don't work: instead of dps getting better, they want a solo healer so there can just be more of them. When half a raid is comprised of one 'role' when the raid can easily be done with two good dps, they're all getting carried.

P.S. I put 'role' in quotes because too many dps-only players don't treat it as a role. The dps that know their role well (no quotes this time) don't need 4 of them to complete a raid.
    • Like x 14
  5. Skyfall New Player

Meh, I enjoy my optimal burns. Never understood why I would want to take my sweet time on a boss, when as a dps, my job is to stay alive, and deal as much damage as possible.
    • Like x 2
  6. 478874 Dedicated Player

7. Poo New Player

I think you totally missed the OP's point.
    • Like x 3
  8. 478874 Dedicated Player

So did your first post. :)
  9. Poo New Player

Lol! Indeed ;)
  10. 478874 Dedicated Player

[IMG]
  11. Skyfall New Player

Neat, you are entitled to think that.

I feel the enrage mechanic is what dps strive for. After all as a dps you kill fast and efficiently. If you can't perform that, then maybe you shouldn't at that point in time be dpsing. A test of you ability to be optimal. I like them.
  12. Notangie New Player

Wanting to get the raid done as quickly as possible is a common desire, there's no need to have a mechanic to force it. Enrage timers just make it harder to pug (since pug dpses sometimes barely double support roles' damage in raids, not sure how that's possible but it happens).
    • Like x 6
  13. Scarlet Rise Loyal Player

To me a DPS is basically a guardian for all the other roles. DPS are supposed to take every hostile out as quickly as possible as well as generally help progress the mission such as hitting switches and using restoration barrels. When one or more of the other 3 roles are in trouble DPS should make a dead stop and help the one(s) in trouble then go back to taking down the most challenging hostiles (e.g. a boss or sub boss) This belief is a bit off topic but.........

A DPS is not primarily there to deal as much damage as possible, that often can compromise the DPS from staying alive; there their to make the mission easier for all the other roles. If you know this then good.
    • Like x 6
  14. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

unfortunately that isn't what dps strive for. This just makes the group go in with solo healer and 4 dps instead of 2 healers. If going in with solo healers wasn't the new trend i would be all for enrage timers but unfortunately that just made solo healers a trend :(
    • Like x 4
  15. Skyfall New Player

Huh......

But yeah. Understandable.
  16. Jamie New Player

A fundamental issue with enrage timers is not that it encourages DPS to do their job better but that it actually hurts teamwork. With enrage timers a tank is only important to prevent the DPS for getting interupted. The healer is mainly there to keep the DPS alive. The trollers are mainly there to be batteries for the DPS. It marganilises all other roles in favor of DPS and helps to create an elitist mentality that turns the community against itself and encourages players to find other games.

Some better aspects that DCUO has used in small amount are things like the damage pools in Nexus. If you can get the bosses standing in them you almost don't need DPS's but if you get caught in them then you are toast. Any of the battles that involve hitting switches during combat is another good example. These mechanics also encourage teamwork and communication where the stratgey for rage timers is keep the DPS alive and powered so they can burn fast enough to survive. If 1 DPS can't cut it then drop someone else to get a 2nd DPS. With the new weapon mechanics you probably will start seeing raids with 6 DPS, 1 troller, and 1 healer and be called a noob if you bring in a second troll or healer or if you bring in a tank.
    • Like x 9
  17. Notangie New Player

@Skyfall: Once again you missed the point. This time you quoted & actually deleted the point, lol. Scarlet Rise is saying numbers aren't the primary function, taking out the threat is.

Example: If there's an add straggling and attacking a healer but there's a mob ahead, a good dps will take out the straggler instead of jumping ahead to get the damage numbers of attacking the mob. Taking out the threat is more important to a good dps than padding their numbers.
    • Like x 8
  18. JonnyD New Player

Let's cook a group for enrage-timed content:

1. One "combat" healer with fatty restoration
    2. One TankPS with core strength or DPS
      1. If TankPS doesn't work, replace with DPS
      2. Optional: replace with additional controller
    3. Four precision based DPS
      1. If it doesn't work, please make sure all your DPS are rage
    4. Eight supply drops
    5. Eight orbital strikes
    6. Eight accomplices/henchmen
    7. Two controllers
      1. Make sure to pick bundled controllers (MK Vit soda and NEXT Colas for power included)
      2. Make sure to remove all but two powers from the package: instant powerout and a PoT move

Enjoy the new content!
    • Like x 1
  19. Jamie New Player

I somewhat laughed at this then I remembered that there are a lot of people that believe that this is the way things should be.
    • Like x 4
  20. JonnyD New Player

I'll be here all night!

[IMG]