Earth tank

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by SalviMex, Feb 15, 2019.

1. SalviMex Active Player

Earth tanking needs a huge buff its so hard to run anything new (mostly bosses) (obviously) but i really do believe earth tanking needs a buff
  2. codyxrhstou Well-Known Player

3. MrShyGuy New Player

Brick tanking is strong imo

You rely on healers alot like some other tanks bits still good
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

In what way? Earth is a very solid tank. You can’t just say it needs a buff without saying why.
    • Like x 1
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Umm, maybe you are doing it wrong? Although, not saying what leads me to believe you may be trying the power out and unsure of what to use. Earth is one of the better tank powers currently. You'll need to provide a little more info.
    • Like x 2
  6. SalviMex Active Player

It neers to have some self heals not "absorb 50% damage" you know
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Earth has no damage absorption at all. Not sure what you are looking at exactly.

Here are what earth has.

50% defense buff when using aftershocks.

Or

2/3 damage transferred from yourself to brick when he is out.

Both of these are on top of the defense buff which is based on your dominance. And earth does have a self heal.

However if you want to have more self heals and want to forget about the mechanics that earth already has than just go fire. Earth is fine the way it is. If anything they should increase bricks health and defense. Or give brick damage mitigation. Other than that earth is working great. What exactly are you doing?
    • Like x 1
  8. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

If you feel you need more self heals, you have choices under Iconic Powers.
  9. SalviMex Active Player

Going to be real with you im probably just a poopy earth tank i switched to it for a week and i was finally needed to tank so i did and well it was a struggle to stay alive the raid i was doing was Crown of Thorns reg and i could not complete/tank the final boss it was such a pain in the hoohaa and i was bullied cause of it and i did research upon research before on earth tanking so i was following what i remembered and well it didn't work well for me at all if there is a video or a loadout or anyway you can mentor me i would very much appriciate it
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Did you try kiting the adds on the final boss? It might not be your loadout, just playstyle.
  11. SalviMex Active Player

With earth i was told not to kite but to stay ground pounding for a good bit til shield pops back up
  12. Schimaera Devoted Player

That was some bad advice then. Even in the regular version, crowd control itself isn't the only thing needed to stay alive. Firstly, adds will get control immune after a while so your ground pounding doesn't help as much :)
    Second, don't do aftershock tanking. It was the better way before the revamp, now it's inferior to brick tanking.

Brick tanking is you watching out for the little guy's health bar and using your shields+fortify golem accordingly. If you wanna heal brick from time to time, go with the Eye of Gemini artifact + a shield supercharge/25% SC (Perfect Poise from Acrobatics is pretty neat).
    In any way, prepare to see Brick dying a lot. Use your shields accordingly. I.e. shield up when he's about to die or just died. You're really squishy when Brick's not around.

For bosses: Farm Counter Immunities. Learn the combos of the most used weapons and how to counter them. The most used weapons by bosses are Martial Arts, Brawling, Hand Blasters and probably staff and two handed. Know what feints look like and how to react properly. Also, know your bosses special attacks and how to counter them (if possible) or how dangerous they really are to you (block, get out of the way, do nothing - basically these three are your option).
    Some bosses tend to use ranged attacks when you're far away, others tend to lunge you. Learn.
    I.E. Survival Mode Larflees almost never moved but started to throw Shuriken Storms at you and was super easy to tank ranged that way.

Lastly: If bosses hit too hard, kite them. Kite an overwhelming amount of adds as well. In small numbers, they probably aren't that bad, in bigger groups, you are really likely to die to them if you don't kite. Not because they'll kill you because of their damage output but rather because you get countered by some of them or you receive spike damage from a boss attack - the adds will do the rest.

Utilize crowd control. If your loadout is full of other stuff (my earth loadout is), use Chronometric Emitters to stun everything around you.
    • Like x 3
  13. SalviMex Active Player

Thank you for your help will keep this in mind
    Also do you know good range l/o for earth?
  14. Schimaera Devoted Player

DPS wise or tank wise?

There's no real ranged tanking loadout. I recommend ObsidianChill's video on kiting, that should help. The only spell you need to range tank is your pull/taunt - and these are max range anyways (except from the 360° pulls).
  15. SalviMex Active Player

Range l/o for dps sorry for not clarifying also i have seen his video
  16. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I'm sorry but you can't be a power for a week then come on here claiming it needs a buff when you barely have the know-how to play the role correctly. I know your just inexperienced but its threads like these that since launch have ruined this game by devs catering to this type of thinking. it takes time to get good at a power and it takes time to know how to tank well. by tanking well i dont mean just knowing how to keep the adds its much deeper than that and takes time to get good at. managing grouping and locations to hold. moving away from a downed player so they can be picked up. among countless other things you have to do to keep everyone including your self alive.

try reading on a power in the guides and read what other more experienced players say about it and how they manage content and you will have a better play experience.
    • Like x 1
  17. Flipeled Level 30

And that is what Earth tanking simply needs.

Perhaps, if not a flatout buff to Brick's effective HP (as in, health and mitigation combined), Fortify Golem could be tweaked to increase Brick's defense, mitigation and give a small health regeneration for 7 or 8 seconds (1 or 2 seconds longer than the 6 seconds cooldown the power has).
    This way, Brick has good survivability if, and only if, you're using the correct power to supplement pet tanking. Also, make it so that Crystal doesn't get these new buffs, and only get the shield + power regeneration from Fortify Golem.

And while we're at it, revamp Aftershock tanking so that it can be on par with pet tanking. :p
    • Like x 1
  18. FALLEN-ONE Active Player

Earth and Rage are by far the strongest tanks, period. Earth is cake on solo bosses and a bit trickier on the adds. The key is to not rely on your fortify because you are actually incurring more damage than you are preventing.. Throw it out of your loadout especially if dealing with adds. Many people just heal brick themselves when they’re surrounded by add and don’t juggle the adds, fortify won’t do anything for you there. You have to cc the adds and be able to predict when your brick is about to die and have your jackhammer in your loadout. Just jackhammer with brick out to cc the adds and have chronos for adds, brick rarely dies and if it does your defense from aftershocks will cover your butt for a while especially if you use dash attack and have gemstone shield. If you see your brick at like half health start jackhammering immediately to take pressure off of your brick and in case it dies, you can resummon it again. I run earth fully might based with 440sps and have like 20 or 30 into health and only 130 in DOM and do just fine in elites. I run jackhammer/epi/unstoppable/dash attack/brick and either gemstone shield or soothing sands in 85% of the content and if tanking tera or something I’d use jackhammer/fortify/unstoppable/dash attack/gem/brick. You keep brick alive longer by splitting the damage while aftershocking, extremely important on adds because you can’t heal your brick if it’s tanking for you. Run gemini/scrap/menacles and just keep an eye on brick’s bar and try to jackhammer as much as you can to keep brick alive longer, if you start taking damage while jackhammering the adds and your brick is healthy, stop aftershocking and start transferring damage to brick and that’s when you pop your shield to recover and resummon brick if it’s about to die. Now, the best part, every time you pop your dash attack you heal your brick and take most of the damage brick takes for you which allows him to recover and for you to safely jackhammer and controlling the adds.
    • Like x 2
  19. SalviMex Active Player

This is very interesting
  20. Roocck Committed Player

I have just returned to play DCUO after a long break and wanted to try out Earth once again... I have noticed that the game has actually to my suprise gotten better... Earth tank is a fun class to play and has always been my favorite, Jackhammer tanking is fine but when it comes to Brick tanking and s does need some help... Brick uses a power and raid right runs out completely out of power, when fortify is used to shield your brick it isnt shielded quick enough to take damage without killing him... His power regen is quickly filled but automatically used with a single jackhammer and leaving him without power again... Looks like Earth tank is in a need of some halp and needs to be reviewed by the devs pls...