Doctor Strange Trailer

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Korlick, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Korlick Loyal Player

• Like x 6
  2. bindi Well-Known Player

looks fantastic!
    • Like x 2
  3. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Looks as good as I envisioned it.

Hopefully it will be good enough to get all the doomsayers off of the movie (there are folks already saying this is going to be the movie to ruin the franchise)
    • Like x 2
  4. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

I hope knocking the astral projection out of someone becomes a thing.
  5. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Personally find the only problem with it, is the (mis)casting choice
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you DelBoy, will gladly watch that later when have the time to enjoy it
  8. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

You thought they mis casted Dr. Strange, now that's unusual most folks think he'll do the part well.
  9. Bhanqwa Well-Known Player

I didn't like him as sherlock at all.
    Maybe it was the script, but I never felt his character had any likeable character traits. He was just cold and bland most of the time.
    Him as Doctor Strange does appeal to me though.
  10. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

Despite the obvious visual similarities to the Nolan movies with a little bit of Matrix throw in the mix, i´m curious to see this movie. After all, i liked Batman Begins, Inception and Matrix, so this popurri may be cool experience after all.
  11. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Movie looks very trippy and mind-bendy. As a Dr. Strange movie should.
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

I think that's mostly from folks who don't know much about Dr. Strange. I'd actually say the opposite. I think this will kick the franchise into overdrive.
  13. Remander Steadfast Player

Interesting. When they announced the movie the first actor that came to my mind was Cumberbatch.
    • Like x 1
  14. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Has Marvel miscast any main character yet? Give it a chance.
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Casting Cumabunch as Strange is as bad (if not worse) as turning Holmes into a 20th century New Yorker
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If they're talking about ruining the entire Marvel cinematic universe franchise, that's a little tough to envision.

For one thing, Marvel has built up a LOT of goodwill with Marvel/comic fans through their films, and that's going to give them a pretty big buffer of sorts when it comes to their films. A film would have to faceplant and faceplant HARD to ruin the entire cinematic universe franchise, and from the looks of things they're already off to a really good start with Doctor Strange.

Also, by all rights Marvel should have slipped and showed "weakness" (for lack of a better term) with Guardians of the Galaxy. A glance at the cast of characters should have meant Marvel's first struggle at the box office, but they absolutely knocked it out of the park with that film. Their consistent performance with the films, even with ones that on paper shouldn't have worked as well as they did, makes it challenging to envision Doctor Strange not working well, much less having that film be the one that ruins the cinematic franchise completely.
    • Like x 3
  17. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

I'm more excited for Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel than I was for Iron Man, Thor and Captain America. Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel have a chance to introduce a lot of cosmic weirdness. And Black Panther is just awesome.
  18. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Most of the main reason why folks feel it's going to "ruin" things is because this is the first time magic really gets thrown into the universe.

They fixed their first whole problem with Thor not truly being a god and really just a different race (wheras in the comics they are a race, a race of gods both minor and major) in the universe. Therefore all his magic was just technology. Everything up to now has been a combination of fighting either folks who got super powers or alien races. Further enforcing that all magic is really myth and technology was always the reason behind things that seemed mystical.

Dr. Strange obviously will change that (unless somehow they completely rewrite him.. which doesn't honor the character at all, and serves no purpose... and I really don't them doing it because as a whole they have been thoughtful with how they've approached their comic adaptions. The only major ding I'd give them is the upcoming Civil War film, but I refuse to fully judge that before I see it). I mean so far everything can kind of considered family friendly and I just hope that Marvel introducing magic doesn't garner the people who started trying to throw stones and boycott the first Harry Potter movie (can't keep everyone happy I know but I would like the family to be judged on its own merits).

I also think it's only going to take one "bad" movie to throw a wrench in their momentum and I want some of the movies that I haven't seen yet (Captain Marvel and Inhumans).
  19. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I'm not excited for Black Panther, he has always been of my "I'm okay" with Marvel characters. I am intrigued that Strange gets his own movie and am thrilled that Captain Marvel gets hers (especially because it's been confirmed that it's going to be Carol Danvers from the get go, if it was her predecessor I'd be less than intrigued. Granted I figure he's going to be in it, which would only make sense, but at the end of the day she's the hero with the name Captain Marvel).
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can understand the potential concern and/or misgivings concerning the introduction of magic into the universe, but honestly I think some folks might be blowing that out of proportion. Marvel's done a good job incorporating elements of the comics into the films and doing them justice, so however they handle it I think things will be fine.

As for one "bad" movie comment, I'm guessing that you used quotation marks to mean bad as in "not quite measuring up to other efforts" as opposed to a complete stinker (if I'm wrong feel free to correct me). But I look at it like this: as of right now Marvel has gone eleven films into their cinematic universe with number 12 about to come out (and sounding strong from early screenings) PLUS they've got at least one TV show that ties into that cinematic universe that's in season three (might be able to count the two seasons of Agent Carter as well). It goes even further if some of the Netflix series are also counted as part of the cinematic universe (never been 100% sure about that).

It's not as if Marvel is in the same "just starting to build their movie universe" place that DC is in right now, where stumbles are far more harmful. Marvel's got a LOT of momentum and goodwill built up. One "bad" movie (as in not quite measuring up to others) isn't going to be enough to disrupt that momentum or cause the cancellation of some of their future productions. If that were the case the weaker Iron Man films or perhaps Thor The Dark World (good films but not quite as strong as others in the Marvel movies) would have already done that.

The only way I can see them changing course THAT drastically is if a film is a complete and utter failure on ALL levels (critically, financially, fanbase reaction, etc.).