Do People Usually Think Dueling Requires Skill?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Filthyprankeddd, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Filthyprankeddd New Player

So I end up playing Arenas and I'm an Atomic tank (cause I've been Atomic since it came out and I don't want to fork over money to change also Atomic DPS is subpar in PVP and can't keep up with say Rage, Mental, Gadgets who spam powers I.e. Taser Pull Spam). Well when playing, I get a lot of people that get mad that I'm a Tank and usually they're always an broken power themselves, in healer or tank role as well, or is a troll aka basically any support role. When they get mad, thy always demand to challenge in the Watch tower via dueling.

I legit had someone say that Arenas was broken and Dueling was not. I asked him to give reasons why Arenas was more broken than Dueling but he refused to answer. Dueling issues include PVE items and armor in general (I.e. People using some pve equipment for the Home Turf mods), the fact that PVP gear does not have any dominance so tank role is useless and only viable in Arenas where they increase your dominance that would be in PVP gear if it was implemented (this means healers, trolls, and dpses all have a leg up in duels, you have people using items such as items such as dampening fields, you got gadgets and mentals using the hand equipment mod to be invincible in stealth to be able to do major damage and basically almost one shot you right when the match starts, you got the differences with Metagenes and Artifacts (i.e. If someone goes up against someone with 140-160 artifacts and you have 70-90, there is no way you're winning/ I literally lost to someone in 96 PVE gear when he was Mental, he did the strategy above with stealth and his artifacts were higher than mine), you got people trying to use their pve trinkets but try to make it less known, and finally, Skill point differences play a huge part. Unlike Arenas where stats are clamped so both players are more equal, Dueling doesn't have those limitations so no matter how good you are, you will always lose. Again, I'm not saying Arenas is broken but it's in a hell of a lot better shape than Dueling. I've had 96 PVP characters beat 101 geared characters when I outplayed them hard. Yeah they have an advantage, but at least it's still doable which isn't the case in Dueling.

If you know any other reasons why Dueling is annoying, let me know! I'm not saying for people not to duel, I don't care either way, but to constantly say that Dueling is more skillful than Arenas is absurd. You got people just begging to duel when they lose in Arenas and when you decline, they usually call you scared and a wuss.

The thing is, legends is in even better shape with some hiccups here and there. Even so, both groups have the opportunity to pick any character at any time, stats are even more balanced since there's no gear, and power spamming won't get you anywhere. I enjoy legends but I myself, don't get anyone to match with as quickly as Arenas unfortunately. It's a shame because legends is fun because the counter mechanic is actually used lol. I try to challenge anyone that is butt hurt into a legends match but they ALWAYS decline and insist Dueling is more skill based. I don't know, maybe if someone can prove that Dueling requires more skill than legends or Arenas then I'll definitely change my mind.
    • Like x 2
  2. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

Most of the peeps that I know, all agree that PVP in general is no longer a contest of skill. It has become a spam fest, or a cheese fest... and not everyone likes spam and cheese.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a solution to the problem that doesn't involve major overhauls to the PVP system.
    • Like x 2
  3. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Don't worry about skill. Just have fun with people who are fun. If you love arenas play arenas and get familiar with people who you see alot and socialize with them.

This is an MMO. You're never going to have balance or parity. For instance you said you're a tank and you were against a mental power. That was never going to be fair for the mental player, arena or not. The system is designed the way it is so just accept it is going to be broken and make the best of it you can.

This game is almost a decade old. Theres been tons of "balance" updates and the only real consequence of pursuing it is unrealized expectations, destroyed powers and an ever growing list of demands. Just chill out and have fun for once in your life and hopefully it'll grow on you.

This isn't directed solely to you but the community that just shouts nerf, broken, unfair.
    • Like x 2
  4. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

+1
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Dueling is dumb. I see tanks and healers in the watchtower, on the PvE side, dueling in pve gear and dropping everything on their utility belt. There is a reason they removed all that from pvp. I just put people on ignore. Other night a guy kept going on and on that if I 1v1 him, there is no way he would lose, cause he was getting owned in arenas.

Years ago, I enjoyed dueling very much. Now, its trash and I feel for everyone that has to grind those feats.
    • Like x 2
  6. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Pvp can be fun, but you have to learn how it works now. Get a weapon that cant be blocked and bring a 100 power that can be spammed, and dont forget the shields. We have been running 4s this last week and having FUN. Nothing serious, just fun.
    • Like x 1
  7. Filthyprankeddd New Player

@HalfofTynon Pretty much. I honestly don't think they're going to touch PVP at all. Thing is, back when Atomic started to be OP I thought to myself, oh it's gonna be merged but oh well. I come back after nearly two and a half years, still OP along with even more broken spammable powers.

@Terri Ashra I agree with everything but the tank advantage in duels. Because of the lack of dominance in PVP gear AND the increasing damage that DPS roles have DUE to SP, Gear, etc, tanks can't keep up with the damage. Even healers have restoration in their PVP gear and their survivability. I believe trolls are broken in duels and second best in Arenas (possibly first if applying constant debuffs). Mental and especially gadgets deal heavy damage in duels and can literally one shot someone in stealth before the fight even begins. So let's say an atomic tank loses half of his health right off the bat. Once the troll hits you with a debuff, you're healing is going to be diminishing when it's already bad (since like I said no dominance, ya know, the main stat for tanks lol). Even in Arenas when they do give you a set standard Dominance, healing can be incredibly slow when facing trolls. I still believe tanks are dominant usually in Arenas but in duels, tanks are bottom tier for sure. Honestly, I've never seen an atomic tank win a duel except when it comes to other factors such as your SP/artifacts/ or metagenes being higher. Even then, I've seen 101 geared Atomic tanks lose to a 96 geared mental that barely had good artifacts. The Kenya simply used the hands mod to use the stealth damage at any time since it gives you invincibility for a short while. Not to mention Atomic is a sub par DPS in both PVP and pve so as a tank, it's going to be even rougher to try and put in damage (with the exception of probably Rage since it has a spammable moves that do a good amount of damage). I'm not really shouting. For things to get nerfed since I don't really care. It's the Individuals that cry in Arenas and try to duel you when Dueling is even more broken than Arenas and when you challenge them to legends, they wuss out and insist on Dueling. I do want some minor fixes done such as bringing some amount of Dominance back into the PVP Gear. Some said that there were issues with CC and shields but as for CC I'm sure they can try and fix it to where it's not a problem or only give enough Dominance to where it's even or on par to restoration and vit for the other two support roles. As for the shields issue, I find this to be absurd since restoration helps with shields yet, restoration is still within the PVP gear. I also know they will not do this, but in an ideal word, it'd be cool to have duels only accept any PVP gear that you have on you and not PVE but I highly doubt that's the case but it's just a scenario lol.

@Black Prime OG Thing is, even if healers wore PVE gear against a PVP troll or DPS, your health would get demolished. Also I've been seeing a lot more trolls and healers than anything tbh. Honestly I really believe that trolls are way more broken than tanks are in Arenas. Arenas you can overcome with hard work and demolishing a tanks power. ( not saying it's fair but it's possible). But in duels, mental and gadget stealth can tak eyour health way too quickly and then you add on debuffs along with Mental's three shields that it has. I don't really care if it's fixed since it's broken beyond repair, but it's just annoying when people start calling you scared when you refuse to duel because if Arenas is broken, Dueling is a mirrorsmashed to pieces and then bombed with a grenade. I also agree that back then,Dueling was actually fun to do. Unfortunately, that time for me was before the stat revamp, when there was PVP specific gear, no artifacts, and no metagenes (this is just my opinion when Dueling wast fun). I used to LOVE Dueling and I wouldn't care about who has what power. Now, I refuse to duel at all and this is especially true if it's Mental or Gadgets. Either way, if people want to just duel with these broken powers then that's fine. But like I said, it's annoying when these people use it as a substitute when losing in Arenas so they can have an advantage, all the while saying they're better than you even though Dueling is broken beyond repair at this point.

Honestly, it might be fun for you, but I find no enjoyment in just spamming your power without even using your weapon. It's not a "who's the better player" it's now turned into a "who has the better power, artifacts, SP, etc". I saw a guy with a 420 SP and he was menta and was literally unstoppable in duels. The moment I paired up with him in Arenas, he lost against me as an Atomic Tank. He complained about me tanking and said for me to go DPS (even though he was a troll) and even though I refused to, he wanted to bring his ego up a notch saying he beat me with a power that straight up demolishes okay DPSes such as Atomic . Oh and you also got people using Dog/Gorilla form and gloating that they don't lose. Thing is, you don't gotta start drama with other people. Just play or lose in Arenas/Duels and move on. I I don't need people complaining about my power when their power is just as broken in certain situations. To show how ridiculous it can get, I went up against another Atomic Tank and he was way more SP than me. When I won, he complained and said I had a trash YouTube loadout and complained about me using the rifle. (Next time I faced him, he was using a rifle lmao). Doesn't even matter if the person you're facing is literally an OP power like yourself, they will always talk down to you sadly.
    • Like x 2
  8. recoil2 Dedicated Player

dueling is annoying in the sense that some people just don't understand that not everyone does it. on the longer days i get about 1 pvp duel invite a day. which is why i have such invitations on ignore.
  9. HalfromTynon Well-Known Player

And that ^ is why so many peeps no longer want to do PVP in game (in my opinion)

Things are 'broken' with powers and weapons... the PVP peeps 'trash talk'. Why subject yourself to such nonsense? It isn't nearly as much 'fun' as it could be.

It's all about a mindset. Peeps that run PVE usually have a group/team mindset. Something along the lines of "let's teamup together, and beat the poo out of the game" Peeps that run PVP usually have an individual/team mindset. Similar to "i'm going to kick the poo out of whatever peep(s) is on the other side of this screen either by myself, or with my team." When things go bad... either in PVE or PVP... the few peeps that are bad apples have a tendency to complain, or trash talk the others. With as much things that are 'broken' with PVP right now, it's easy for the trash talking to start.

Are there ways to fix it? Yes. Most of the ways require a major overhaul to the PVP system.
    The other way is to 'fix' the players mindsets, and I don't see that ever happening.
  10. Terri Ashra Committed Player

Yeah you can get burst down when the fuel starts. So what? You're going on as if it's a big deal. You must not know about the history of exploits or cheats that have been in the game where you could do absolutely nothing about. The stealth mod takes place of the regenerative shielding mod and both gadgets and mental have no healing so pop a shield right before the fight begins and go from there.

This isn't an ideal world man. It's just a video game. From its launch in 2011 it has been unbalanced. It used to be unbalanced by the roles rps system, then weapons and powers, then tactical mods, the trinket spam, then weapon mastery, then action mechanics and now its artifacts. The pvp system is never going to be balanced, it never was and after the tens of thousands of hours of them doing everything they could do to bring it to an acceptable level they should just accept that and move on.

Don't duel people unless you want to or need the feats. Don't do arenas unless you want to or need the feats. Don't chase the scoreboard unless you want too. If you dont want to duel gadgets or mental players do a quick inspection and you dont have to. The ignore function is great for getting rid of people you dont want to hear and the add freind function is a great way to play with people you like.

You have more control of your play experience than anyone else, including the de developers. Use the tools they give you and stop stressing out over fairness and balance and try to have fun.

Also, just want you to know that control powers only have healing through the regenerative shield hand mod which means the stealth can be entirely negated by a single dot ability, or they have to use a 50% supercharge or pheromone bloom.
  11. Filthyprankeddd New Player

@Terri Ashra I'm not complaining that some powers need to be fixed or are more OP. You're missing the entire point of my post. The point of the post was to show how abused it is that people think Dueling is more skillful than legends or arenas. They'll go out of their way and insist that Dueling isn't broken when there's so many points that are. Of course the game is broken, there's not really anything we can do about it, but when you have people complaining every match, it gets tiring. You ask about the damage when the duel starts. Let's say you don't have a shield, well half of your health gone right away. If you do have a shield, then that's one less shield for you while a Mental can have up to three shields and continually take huge chunks of heath with the stealth attack. Hell, I'm an atomic tank and it's impossible to heal back the damage right after you have no more shields and they end up stealth hitting you. The cooldown isn't that long at all and if I'm having trouble with this as an atomic tank, think about other powers. Not only can they do that, but they can debuff you AND do just as much damage as in DPS role. There's no healing, but me and my league mates know that Mental is a Tank/Troll/ AND DPS rolled into one. You got the shields, the debuffs, the huge chunks of damage and honestly, there are way more mental now than I've ever seen in PVP. Of course the game has never been balanced but it wasn't absolute broken beyond repair. There were always ways to get out of a predicament with most powers, but now, only the FOTM powers are able to actually win in PVP. Like I said, I don't want to duel at all, and not just because of the trolls,but because of the PVE items that people carry around as well unfair SP advantages (it's a lot less noticeable in arenas btw).

Regardless, I'm not shouting nerfs but these issues are actual problems. Atomic tank is the second (tied with Gadgets) best power in PVP and tbh any healing done in PVP is seen as broken. (Oh but trolls can debuff so I guess it's not a problem for them). I could care less if I lose or win, but I'm tired of getting messages every Arenas Match telling me to meet them in the watch tower and if I ignore them, hey usually hop on a different character just to annoyingly send me tells. Also stealthcant be negated when a shield is over them which they ALWAYS do. Is always pop a shield first and then use stealth. Dot won't do anything when HL shield is able to take a good bit of damage, but Mental is probably the only power that can one shot a HL shield and two shot a player. I don't really care if they fix it or not since people will end up crying about PvE so it's probably not a fixable problem. I just want to state that Dueling is incredibly dumb to try and force a win after you lose in Arenas. When I do duel,I don't cry that I want to face them in Arenas which would be helpful to me, but yet, I'm getting constant messages about butt hurt people in the game. I've already accepted it's broken, but that doesn't mean I can't just tell you the obvious exploits in each power. Like I said, not shouting nerfs or anything, just stating how these tactics can be advantageous in eapecially duels or in general.

Oh also here's some proof of how good Mental is.

Keep in mind this guy is in 96 gear and he's still giving a tough time to tanks and others. A rage tank in the video, literally said it felt like he was fighting a tank as well.
  12. appocolyps Committed Player

100% this few weeks ago before I quit, I was ice, in tank stance, with 4 shields, prec buff and dash attack sc Gemini and soul cloak 160, venom wrist 160, rifle 5 tap, unkillable, it was my ultra cheese build, proper stinky!!
    • Like x 1
  13. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

1. To anyone who thinks PVP nowadays takes skill is an absolute idiot. (Sorry to burst the bubble)

PVP again takes zero skill. I would put this in NBA 2k terms but I won’t because not everybody on DCUO plays 2k as much as I do :) anyways to sum up that 2k point. Every build/power is overpowered in their own way.

Atomic: You just spam 2 powers in tank mode and you’re literally unkillable to 90% of the game. Due to the fact those powers can do damage and do massive healing at the same time. Double that with the Dom given to a tank in arenas and bam. Can be considered the most OP power in the game in terms of PVP.

Mental: Good ole Mental, the power that switched the thinkings of opposition about me. I went from Having tells sent to me saying “GG You’re pretty good” to having tells sent to me saying “You suck” “You’re a power hopper” and have been sent tells saying I was blocked for being Mental. Yeah I’m sure if you’re reading this you know exactly the issues are regarding Mental. I don’t need to explain. Cough cough (Shields and invisibility spam)

Rage: OP as hell in terms of damage.

Gadgets: Also overpowered

Just about every power is overpowered in their very own way unless you’re nature because they got hit with a heavy nerf a while back.

Anyways it all depends on how the power is being used. PVP is trash anyways. Power spam, no weapons use, shields dragged out fights and so on. All takes no skill. As for Duels? Also takes no skill no need to explsin here, but I do need an explanation on how you lost to somebody with PVE gear on. That’s pretty absurd.
  14. Brit Loyal Player

Dueling has zero rewards, so it really is nothing more than a waste of time.

If I want to test myself against another player one v one, I queue up for 1v1s.
  15. Drathmor Unwavering Player

people will say anything to defend their egos. dueling I would say is more broken because people can use trinkets and things that aren't allowed in PVP but things aren't currently balanced to make any of it a fair test of skills unless everyone could agree to just weapon it out or other such rules
  16. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

I rescind my last point.
  17. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Dueling has the same reward as arenas. Feats. If people care about feats, they kind of have to do them.

Like my previous post on this thread, I am so dang happy I finished those years ago.
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I'm responding to the section you mention me. I'm not really sure what your talking about. None of my response supported dueling. Dueling has been joke fkr awhile.

As for my comment about PvP still being fun. It is what you make of it. Running 1v1 or dueling is horrible, pretty sure we can all agree.

What I don't agree with are some of the issues most of the posters have brought up.

Skill - Sure PvP is a spam feast now, but if you out someone that knows how to PvP vs someone who does not, whos gonna win?

Shields - I'm not sure if no one was around back in the day when we had the RPS system. Shields were very much apart of PvP. Mental in particular was always been beastly because of shields. They only thing we are missing to counter this is roles being able to debuff. This would solve the shield issue.

Weapons - not sure if most haven't been in a PvP arena match since revamp. Power is an issue, always. Your not power spamming all the time. If you don't know how to use your weapon, your gonna lose. And yes, just like on the PvE side, there are weapons that are better because of how they work. Rifle or shield is the go to choice for most.

If your solo queuing into 4s or 5s, your gonna get what you get. It has always been this way.

I also understand and agree with the majority, we do not like the current PvP. I believe the devs do understand. It's no secret, and been talked about for years. They have commented and told us it will ot change. What we have is it.

So, if you don't like the current system, don't play. You don't like how dueling is not fair with roles, this also isn't a new thing, do play. Ask anyone when dueling came out how much they enjoyed Sorc healers dogging people or mental players doing what was called ghost in a shell. They could ghost someone AND put them in a thought bubble.
  19. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I'm responding to the section you mention me. I'm not really sure what your talking about. None of my response supported dueling. Dueling has been joke fkr awhile.

As for my comment about PvP still being fun. It is what you make of it. Running 1v1 or dueling is horrible, pretty sure we can all agree.

What I don't agree with are some of the issues most of the posters have brought up.

Skill - Sure PvP is a spam feast now, but if you out someone that knows how to PvP vs someone who does not, whos gonna win?

Shields - I'm not sure if no one was around back in the day when we had the RPS system. Shields were very much apart of PvP. Mental in particular was always been beastly because of shields. They only thing we are missing to counter this is roles being able to debuff. This would solve the shield issue.

Weapons - not sure if most haven't been in a PvP arena match since revamp. Power is an issue, always. Your not power spamming all the time. If you don't know how to use your weapon, your gonna lose. And yes, just like on the PvE side, there are weapons that are better because of how they work. Rifle or shield is the go to choice for most.

If your solo queuing into 4s or 5s, your gonna get what you get. It has always been this way.

I also understand and agree with the majority, we do not like the current PvP. I believe the devs do understand. It's no secret, and been talked about for years. They have commented and told us it will ot change. What we have is it.

So, if you don't like the current system, don't play. You don't like how dueling is not fair with roles, this also isn't a new thing, do play. Ask anyone when dueling came out how much they enjoyed Sorc healers dogging people or mental players doing what was called ghost in a shell. They could ghost someone AND put them in a thought bubble.