DLC7 New Gear styles

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Deviant, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

Just because the dlc has a theme doesn't mean they have make gear around. Yea , traditionally mmo's do that but they want to be different. We already have batman and lex armor why do we need more? Aquaman is a founding member of the justice league and its only right he should get first dibs on iconic tier gear. People asked for less bulk they gave it to you, you asked for iconic they gave it to you, are they not allowed to also give ideas of there own?
  2. Breen New Player

Just because the movie is called Dark Knight Rises, doesn't mean Batman has to be the main character, they could go with Aquaman.
    • Like x 1
  3. Palus New Player

Nope, but the movie would have been better if he was in it, now back to a more constructive matter.
    • Like x 1
  4. Volaron New Player

Not a fan. All of them are too big and clunky for me. I really thought the booster gold/manta we're going to look great. Skin tight with the Iconic emblem/glasses for booster, Skin tight robotic with the iconic helmet for Black manta. These just look like Generic Robot costumes.
    • Like x 1
  5. Joykiller Dedicated Player

If you just want skin tight uniforms, there are literally dozens in the game already. I don't know how you make an 'iconic' suit of armor without bulking it up a bit. After all, the gear is 'inspired by', not the 'gear of', whichever villain or hero it represents. If you want skin tight Black Manta, wear the wetsuit and buy the head armor. I'm especially happy that they made gender specific gear too.

As it is, I really dig the new looks - even the Huntress and Aquaman gear, which at first I was not a fan of.
    • Like x 1
  6. Volaron New Player

You mean you want me to work at my styles..Seems complex.
  7. Original Kal Well-Known Player

Hideous.
    • Like x 1
  8. Hallows Eve New Player

They all look rather silly
    • Like x 1
  9. Breen New Player

Okay, lets be constructive. Lets compile a list of 2 heroes, 2 villains, and a character that could be on either side to inspire armor sets that fall in direct relation to the 2 characters fueling the foundation of this games main plot.

Who would Bruce turn to in this timeline with intimate details involving the future in order to prevent the cataclysm?

Who would Lex manipulate into ensuring his survival and victory over Brainiac?

My opinion for Bruce: Nightwing and Terry McGinnis (Or Himself)

My opinion for Lex would be flawed because I don't follow Superman beyond a few comics and the movies from when I was a child. Much like the dcuo intro though, it was wise to manipulate the Justice league.

As for an in between choice: Cyborg, he's just as brilliant and cybered out as both versions of future Lex and Bruce and at that stage in the game could also have harnessed the technology to return.
    In my logic I(perhaps erroneously) attempt to lean a bit toward "Tech" in an effort to follow suit.
  10. RogerBlack Committed Player

I've read every post in this thread, so far.
    And I would say that 85% of all the posts in this thread say the exact same.

For every 1 poster who says..."i love all of them"... there are at least 10 who say..."These all look ugly"

At the end of the day... the Black Manta outfit is the consensus run-away WINNER. Hands down.

However, the majority will probably agree.... the REST of these styles should've just been 'loot drops'.
    Not used for T5 styles. No way.

[SIDENOTE: maybe these DCUO Art Directors need to spend ALOT of time playing other newer DC-based video games that have been released in the last 4-6 months... to get some decent inspiration.]

The Devs can spin it, or justify this one bad decision anyway they want... but even the folks who tend to 'praise' the majority of their work seem very disappointed with these new T5 styles.

I for one feel it is because there is a HUUUGGE discrepancy between the "Meet The Council" outfits... and the T5 styles.

The outfits designed for the 'Meet the Council' styles are solid.
    They go well 'above and beyond' what we have seen in the past. (For ANY DLC.)

But then we see the T5 outfits... and they do not make any sense, artistically. (Not even a little bit)
    None of these T5 styles say to us.... 'this is something we would wear to battle Batman / or Lex across time itself'.

So there is no 'visual continuity' of the entire theme of the DLC. (Which is what people want, imo)

It looks like somebody who loves Aquaman... insisted on throwing an Aqua-style in there... front and center... then surrounded it with a few OTHER random other characters... that nobody else was expecting.

Congrats.

You guys squeezed several unexpected 'square pegs'...... into one large 'round hole' that everyone is waiting for.
    • Like x 6
  11. TheMarvel New Player

Excellent write-up/recap.

And you are correct. They'll spin it nine ways from Tuesday with 'some love it … you can't please everyone … and we care exploring the artistic possibilities ' and other Business 101 platitudes … but the usual bastion of love for them that is Facebook is even mocking these.

It is one thing to stand by your work. It is quite another to insist something that is, by high majority, viewed as bad is, in fact, ZOMG Awesome. It doesn't speak well to accepting a business reality.
    • Like x 1
  12. UltraElite Dedicated Player

everyone has asked for more hero/villain theme iconic gear
    that most didnt want medieval type armor anymore

looks like they listened
  13. Captain Liberty Developer

Perhaps I should have given an example of what I meant by derivative. I'll do so now. In DLC 3 all gear shared a common theme, magic plate armor of the high fantasy variety. All gear shared common design elements and were derived from this theme. Likewise, the Runic gear in DLC 5 had similar qualities. While I'm at it I should clarify one other thing, while we can take inspiration from DC characters for our "inspired-by" gear, we can't just copy iconic character elements. The higher the profile, the more scrutinized the gear will be.
    • Like x 1
  14. Blinx New Player

I really wish you got designers from the Injustice game or at least looked at those styles for inspiration on what could have been great.
    • Like x 2
  15. Delta795 New Player

I hardly ever blast you guys, but CMON really? You can't just copy character elements really?
    Funny thing is I look at DC VS MK and it looks like they copied them just fine...same goes for Injustice. Step up and admit as a whole you wanted a different look. It's no big deal, sure some people will not like them...but to clarify they were derived in separate way is an insult to combined intelligence.
    • Like x 2
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

This was my thought. The more I look at the styles, the more I find certain aspects appealing. I think with the right mixing, matching, and color changes, a lot of people could find these styles to be pretty nice.
  17. Deviant New Player

Are we all really that upset about styles? I know it's been long time coming for some good iconic looks, but like I said before, this DLC promises to boast a lot of brand new content. I'll give them a pass on styles that aren't up to my liking, though I don't completely hate them. Y'all are crying about how ugly they are, just wait till you start crying how hard the new raids are and how you can't even earn the Marks for these fugly peices.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like how my toon looks at the moment and look forward to utilize some pieces from this new gear as the last 2 tier styles did nothing for me and didn't fit my toon's style. And most importantly I can't wait for the huge stat boosts these will give.
    • Like x 1
  18. AIpha New Player

Manta Gear makes me want to go villian. All the other gear looks really bad to be honest. The batman gear looks straight out of Gotham City imposters(the game were people made suits out of trash and garbage yeah that one). The harely one is a joke and I can't say much about the booster gold style except that its fugly.

Edit: Lol that isn't batman inspired(despite looking that way) its huntress inspired so I will now say that is really fugly lol.

Manta Gear- Top Notch A+++
    Aquaman Gear- Bearable C
    Booster Gold Gear- Fugly D
    Harely Gear- Fugly Joke F
    Huntress Gear- Fugliest thing I ever did see F-----
  19. RogerBlack Committed Player

From what you wrote... it's safe to say that you probably would not wear 'the whole outfit'... of ANY of these styles.
    (Just 'bits and pieces' of each.)

I agree.

Sadly, none of these get the vast majority of folks excited enough to WANT to wear it all, at once.
    Then, on top of all that... we have to wait ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR... for a new set of 'tiered' armor to be revealed.

That's a problem, imo.

For example:

The Department of Corrections outfit...
    I could wear it all. No problem. To me, there is a certain 'visual continuity' between the outfit... and all the Strykers Missions. (which makes for an appropriate 'gear reward'... plus satisfies certain RPG aspects of the game itself - i.e. When I wear the whole oufit, i look like a well-armored, law enforcement agent.)

The BioHazard outfit...
    I could wear it all. No problem. To me, there is a certain 'visual continuity' between the outfit... and all the Ace Chemicals Missions. (which makes for an appropriate 'gear reward'... plus satisfies certain RPG aspects of the game itself - i.e. When I wear the whole oufit, i look like a bad-@ss, toxic avenger.)

Personally, I wish that Black Manta style was available for heroes.
    That's the only T5 style that seems like an appropriate 'gear reward' for an EPIC battle across time itself, imo.
    • Like x 1
  20. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Fixed that mess you had up there.;) If you're going to insult someones work expect the same.

*Patiently waiting for my insults* :D