Devs honestly what is your vision for pvp?

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Schnoz, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir-Ivy Dedicated Player

Actually, there is a need. Either it recognizes it as the correct millisecond or not. The mechanism is functional or not. Whatever is causing windows to not be even remotely accurate as several people have mentioned means that something somewhere isn't working as intended.

If this were a motor company, it would warrant a recall. These are core combat mechanics that are seemingly not consistent across platforms and servers.
    • Like x 1
  2. Talve Dedicated Player

No, this is an action MMORPG and is marketed as action MMORPG.
    So yes, taking examples from fighting games is legit because its an action MMO.

No, i'm not.
    Window to interrupt BB's was about 1-1,5 seconds longer. If you can't remember that, you obviously have not PvPd much.
    • Like x 4
  3. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Yea, and they should fix them. I'm talking to DevDirt about trying to get something set up to help PS players in working with windows to make them function properly.
    • Like x 2
  4. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Since you are using the motor company analogy. SP is requesting that ALL motors of all types be changed because the own he owns does not work.
    They need to update PS to match .350 ms not reduce every platforms.
    • Like x 3
  5. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

I hate to sound like Clutch when I say this, but do you not know who I am? I've been on more FNLs than he has. I just don't compete in them because I'm co-hosting them and I've scrimmed more 5v5s in the first 3 years of this game than I'm guessing you have in the past 2.

I get there is a bit of PC master race elitism going on here with all of this, but serious facts need to be recognized here. The main reason why there are 3-4 people sitting here taking turns arguing against what I've proposed is because the vast majority of console players have thrown their hands up and stepped away from these forums for precisely what is happening right now. Bigger mouths get heard of those seeking a common ground with common sense behind it. I get that some of you want to make DCUO into fighter game like Injustice, but as stated this is an Action MMO. Not Injustice. If you are looking for that kind of gameplay, you should be focusing on that. The vast majority of the players on this game though are on console and they want the things that I've proposed. There are some PC players that want what I've proposed.

The problem is that they see names like the ones arguing against me come in here and lay out their numbers and graphs and speak on things that some of them didn't even experience and because those names have been listened to in the past or because they have a bunch of wins against people in one tournament series they don't bother trying to argue against them because they know that those names are going to be listened to instead or they'll get shouted down like what is trying to be done to me here.

The irony of all this is that a lot of these console players that don't bother coming to these forums anymore because they don't believe they're being heard are blaming ME for the changes that some of YOU have talked the devs into doing. Over half of the changes that were proposed before Season 3 came out, I was against them entirely. Why? Because I knew the community wouldn't want them. Does that bother any of you at all? That the community doesn't want what came in Season 3 or the things that some of you are proposing for Season 4?

I'm not proposing these things to make things "easier" for all the people you look down on. I'm proposing them because they are what the vast majority of players WANT and they are the things that would open Arenas back up to people who have thrown their hands up and walked away from them as well. I don't do this for me. My life would be easier if I didn't care anymore. For the past few hours today I've been sitting here dealing with this gank coming from four different directions from players that are looked at as the best in the game and I'm slowly starting to see that it's mostly because this game is turning from being an action MMO and turning into another fighting game to suit their desires.

So I'm just going to put this out there for you all. I have done more to promote, support and encourage PvP on this game than any of you put together 5 times over. Before the FNL tour, I put together and successfully completed one of the first and largest competitive PvP tournaments for Arenas AND Legends. I didn't do it for the trophies or the money. I did it because the players wanted it. So instead of focusing on your own desires for what YOU want pvp to be in this game, why don't you take a step back and stop trying to force it down people's throats. Because flat out, the changes that came with Season 3 and the ones that you all would propose are only going to force more players out. If you don't see that, then just take a look at your own FNLs for a minute and wonder why even some of the people that could win those tournies don't bother signing up.

Keep that last paragraph in mind the next time one of you thinks to talk down to me or talk to me like I'm an idiot and don't know or understand the cheese and cheap tactics you exploit to take advantage of some of the mechanics your trying so desperately to keep.
    • Like x 8
  6. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

Explain that. Because your own argument for Blue Immunity staying contradicts WM spam happening.

The argument has been made that WM spam will happen without Blue Immunity.

You yourself have said that WM combos can't be achieved before Blue Immunity wears off.

Without Blue Immunity WM combos are interruptable.

With Blue Immunity, WM combos can't be achieved before it wears off making WM combos interruptable.

So, to recap, what you have said is that WM combos can't be spammed with Blue Immunities in the game even though the immunity wears off before the combo can be achieved. Without Blue Immunities in the game though, WM combos are interruptable the entire time.

So I ask again. How will it become a spam fest if Blue Immunities are removed?
    • Like x 1
  7. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Hosting tournaments is absolutely not a valid way to prove your "knowledge" about a game. The only thing it shows is that you can run a tournament.
    • Like x 11
  8. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

Proves I know enough to know what I'm talking about and know the cheap tricks that cheese that people use to win.
    • Like x 2
  9. ??? Well-Known Player

Is good and cute you are helping the community. Am glad you do it, My sincere respect on that matter.
    On the other hand, been an enthusiast doesn´t qualify anyone as an expert.

Just because someone has thrown a few punches to the bag doesn´t make him a champ in boxing.

So far all your answers are been purely subjective, while THE ENQUIRER (see what i did there ;)) and the guys are providing objective feedback.

The best proof of this is how welcome was the removal of home turf finally from pvp. That was the biggest downfall of pvp.
    • Like x 6
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

No, not at all seeing as how you haven't explained that one in the slightest. Either explain it or drop it. The only possible thing I can think you're referring to is rolling. And the manner it's working in has been confirmed as intended by the devs several times over now.

I've explained this multiple times now as have multiple people. I don't think it can be much clearer and I'm only left to assume you aren't reading the posts written.

Most powers have a power that can break you out of counters. That alone encourages spamming because there would literally be no benefit to countering someone. Just utilize the highest damaging combos you can use. Also DoT's would become massively over powered and in addition to that the game would favor numbers over skill because you won't be able to actually dish out any form of damage while the person is countered due to yourself taking in high damage consistently.

I respect what you do by promoting the game, I really do, however that doesn't suddenly make what you're saying true and really holds no bearing on the conversation.
    • Like x 5
  11. Talve Dedicated Player

I have watched NBA for 14 years. Does it mean i'm a basketball guru now?
    Yes. I know some stuff. But i can ensure you there are lots of plays teams run i'm not noticing.
    Watching something does not in no way equal knowledge nor does it mean you understand whats actually going on.
    • Like x 9
  12. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

No, it really doesn't.

If I open a golf course and run multiple golf tournaments, does that mean I can discuss golfing techniques with Tiger Woods?
    • Like x 8
  13. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Inb4, talking the analogy in the wrong way and the point is completely ignored.

Bottom line, just because you watch or host something does not make you knowledgeable about it.
    • Like x 1
  14. Banished Anaconda Level 30

Without the blue immunity the skill level of pvp would decrease so much...

Why shouldnt i have the chance to survive 2 opponents while im holding the node? ( lets say my partner died )
    Should i get slaughtered because they are two and i am one ,even If they are less skillful than i am? or should i survive because im better at the pvp mechanics than them.
    What is wrong in being rewarded for being better and having more knowledge bout it than others?

I mean how bad is the scenario that you cant be safe to even execute ur punishment on ur opponent, you earned to punish ur opponent safely by countering him so why should u fear to get countered while u try to punish him for his mistake lol(without immunity ingame)
    Easy choice for me atleast...

The same goes for certain arena situations , lets say in a 5v5 your healer died , should your whole team get slaughtered because the respawn of ur healer took to long or should u have a chance by farming immunities off the opponent team to survive till ur healer shows up?

And believe me , its extremly hard farming immunities in a 5v5 scrim of a team that know how to play pvp correctly and it requires so much attention/reflexes to see a gap on the opponent team to get the immunity of ( there are not many people spamming random range attacks where u could get easily immunity)

Not sure if srs or not lol.

So if u know how ur opponent is trying to bait u into blocking by using taps , why do you block?
    Why dont u pressure him urself and make him do what u want?
    Why dont u force him into blocking or make him waste his blockbreak ( if he cant bb on reaction)?
    Roll if u think hes good at blockbreaking so you can bait him.
    Or just do your combo to get his hp lower and FORCE him to block...so many options

Many players forget that pvp is not just bout blockbreaks, holds and blocks,that are just the tools that we have to use , ithere is way more depth to it than it seems at first, its a pure mindgame (yes better reactions help a lot to execute it efficiently ofc)

Let me name a scenario in a 2v2 with clutch as an opponent,

I saw him blocking but i assumed that he would roll to make my blockbreak miss him so-> he can counter me, but thats what i thought bout the situation
    What he did was just holding the block a little bit longer to confuse me and make me either lunge him in an attempt to catch him (before he even rolled) or make me throw a blockbreak because i assumed that he would keep the block longer but he basically timed it all so good that my bb missed and he countered me.
    So he thought ahead of what i would possibly think/do.

The windows are totally fine as they are right now.If you get blockbroken while you are out of the block animation its because you are still in the counter window...and IDK it seems that PS players have latency problems.

I dont understand why there is always this drama about the blocking vulnerability window...i see lunging , blocking and blockbreaking as a part of the combat triangle and all of them should be balanced and shouldnt be superior to the other form.
    Reducing the timer on the vunerability window of blocking would make blocking absurdly op and it would end in turtleing.

And honestly , i dont get blockbroken that often and i block alot too at the right situations.

The real problem is that many people dont know how to block CORRECTLY.

Why do u spamm the block at situations where it shouldnt be used?
    Do you throw your blockbreaks at ur opponent even if hes not blocking ?

You wont die from getting tapped by weapons so why do u pressure urself in blocking it and dont wait for ur opponent to feel safe and pull out a combo that u can block -> bait him.

The majority of the players that are complaining and wanting the "Good old days " of pvp back should really think bout what exactly was better than the one we have now?
    There was not as much skill required as to the system we have right now and i played dcuo for a long time and now both versions.
    I think its mostly just the nostaliga feeling ( i have it too if im honest). Everything was new and exciting , i loved it to duel people even if there was not much counters involved and block was spammed all over the place,being in the pvp phase etc etc all that.
    Or some older players just cant deal with the fact that this game is now more than just spamming ur combo and turtleing and that it requires actual skill now...

Sorry for this long post and for my grammar and stuff , my english is really bad : <
    • Like x 11
  15. Superpatriot Dedicated Player

According to all of you, Bob Costas, Harray Caray, Bryant and Greg Gumbel, Howard Cosell, and countless other well respected, knowledgeable and highly regarded sportscasters like them that have never taken a snap, fielded a fly ball or took a shot from the free throw line for the pros don't know what they're talking about when covering a sports event.

For the record, I have been in the trenches just like you all. A lot longer than most in fact. My taste for it died down a bit the past year or so sure, but it doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about just because I do more hosting than competing these days.
    • Like x 1
  16. Clutchmeister Loyal Player

Spytle and mepps also know enough to shout cast the FNL tournaments, they don't however come onto the forums claiming "I know what I'm talking about cause I shout cast FNLs" when discussing the intricacies of combat mechanics.

Completely erroneous logic.
    • Like x 6
  17. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Those people you listed also know what they're talking about though, which sort of puts you in an awkward position because you keep talking about these secretive exploits that people who consistently play PvP nowadays don't seem to know what you're talking about. At all. Honestly, and I'm not trying to be mean here, it sounds like you're getting outplayed and can't grasp how or why that's happening.

Also trying to use the length you've been here as a reason as per why you're correct really holds no bearing here at all. I've bested players who have played thousands of more hours than I have and people who have played less than I have can and have done the same to me.
    • Like x 3
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Hey... What can I say? It happens, heh. We have to accept that sometimes it's not our day. Continuing to fight insures that it will be, more often than not, but I think you already understand that. Still, a lot changes quickly and not every defeat we suffer is at the hands of some new super-secret hack or heretofore undisclosed game exploit. Sometimes I get my *** beat because I dropped the ball or the other cat really was just a good fighter.

Almost wish I had a Dylan quote handy. It would apply itself beautifully here. I like to think something along the lines of 'Where's the proof?' (not directed at you, the other fellow)

Uhm, after spending the last bit of my morning yesterday explaining what the poster in another thread perceived as a bug as being a simple side-effect of the way fighting works? Sometimes this -

IS the issue. Period. Changes occur and we need to understand them and work within their system in order to understand why it's happening.

Also...

No offense to your body of experience but a *LOT* can happen to a video game in a year. The functional landscape of PVP is a lot different now both because of changes to almost every single Power set as well as large changes to the actual texture of Arena (and even open-world) PVP itself. In such a situation being used to the 'old way' of doing things can actually be a severe detriment, because it doesn't apply itself as readily to what is happening today.

To continue having a consistent observation, you have to continue remaining involved.
    • Like x 4
  19. D0SE New Player

It boils down to this: PC players (seems to be 4 or 5 of them) have the devs ear in regard to pvp. It shouldn't be that way, plain and simple. The majority of this game plays on a different platform that has a VERY different experience than what pc players have. There is a reason a large majority of the competitive PS leagues stopped playing, and why there are less and less teams signing up for FNL tournaments. You pc players feel completely in the right that you're doing the right thing, but the effect has been anything but positive.
    • Like x 6
  20. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

A huge reason that there was a major drop off was because crowd control has been busted for the last 5 game updates, 6 if the one major remaining issue with it isn't fixed in GU46. They launched one of the largest PvP revamps in the game's history with a fundamental mechanic being broken. And regardless of your opinion it doesn't make anything that people defending counter immunity or windows have said any less true. The devs however do have a lot to do regarding latency on the PS system. Anything short of fixing that to solve the issues PS players are experiencing would be a bandaid and not a real fix.

Even with that considered the developers have stated here and at SOE Live the way windows work is fundamental to pretty much every single aspect of the game now, especially due to the 2/3rds second lag there is from one player to another. Even from a development standpoint the current system makes sense to repair as opposed to completely burn.
    • Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.