Work In Progress Development Update: Episode 27 Gear and Progression

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Development Update: Episode 27 Gear and Progression

Episode 27 will bring significant changes to DCUO's core loot progression and to how players acquire gear. With these changes, we want to make the entire loot and gear system deeper and more rewarding. We want to extend the progression path for enthusiasts, encourage everyone to play more, reward players more frequently, and limit the frustrations of randomness. To keep it as short and simple as possible:
    • The best gear in the episode will be unlocked with currency at a vendor. #BestGearOnVendor
    • Dropped gear will provide continual upgrades while players work towards vendor gear.
    • PLUS, we'll utilize the renown system for elite gear and make omnipotence items obtainable through special collections.
    Keep reading for the juicy details!

Dropped Gear: Uncommon, Rare, Epic
    • Completing content will continue to reward players individually with gear in the loot picker.
    • This dropped gear will make up the least powerful gear sets in the episode, in the rarities you are used to: uncommon (green), rare (blue), and epic (purple).
    • All of the content will drop all of these rarities of gear.
    • Each drop will attune to your specific role and average item level, so that it will (usually) be an improvement for you personally, until you have obtained the best dropped gear available.
      • This is very much like how gear from time capsules works.
    • Better quality (epic vs. rare vs. uncommon) items provide larger increases from your current average item level.
    • Epic dropped gear will have a new style, inspired by the mythological gorgons.
    Bottom line: This change to dropped gear focuses what randomness there is in the overall progression system to the least powerful gear sets and, because the gear levels to you, means an upgrade most of the time.

Best Gear On Vendor: Legendary
    • Completing content will now also reward Ancient Coins, a new episode-specific currency.
    • Ancient Coins will be spent at a vendor to purchase the strongest gear set in the episode.
    • Note: Content will continue to reward Marks of Victory and everything else you are used to, and Marks will continue to be used for what they are now in prior content and for other non-gear related purposes.
    • Legendary Vendor gear will have a new style, inspired by Superman: Godfall.
    Bottom line: Best gear on a vendor (with Ancient Coins) requires players to participate in the new content to acquire the new content's rewards, prevents later or earlier releases from impacting the time-to-complete, and also removes randomness entirely from this core gear progression.

Best Gear On Vendor: Legendary-Elite
    • Completing elite versions of content will reward Ancient Coins AND renown with factions specific to Episode 27.
    • The Elite vendor will not offer gear to players until they have acquired enough renown; once they have, the gear will be available for Ancient Coins.
    • Legendary-Elite vendor gear will have a enhanced version of the regular vendor gear's style plus set bonuses, just like elite gear does now.
    Bottom line: This model for elite gear ensures players complete the episode's elite content to acquire elite rewards and removes randomness from this extended gear progression aimed at DCUO's enthusiasts.

Omnipotence Gear In Collections
    • Once a player has obtained (and is wearing) a full set of either vendor gear sets (regular or elite), a new special set bonus is applied.
    • When this set bonus is active, players have a chance to get new mystical (and tradeable) item drops from Episode 27 bosses.
    • These mystical items are for several new collections, and two of these new collections will reward omnipotence gear when complete.
    Bottom line: This change provides a direct and in-depth path to OP gear, in that players must complete the episode's gear set and then play *more* of the episode. It also further strengthens the player economy, since these special collections are tradeable. There is still randomness in finding the collection items, and we believe this is appropriate for this extended progression aimed at DCUO's most dedicated enthusiasts.

Gear Recap

In order from weakest to strongest:
    • Uncommon/green (dropped) gear is the weakest set in the episode (smallest increase per piece).
    • Rare/blue (dropped) gear is the weakest set in the episode (moderate increase per piece).
    • Epic/purple (dropped) gear is the weakest set in the episode (largest increase per piece).
    • Legendary/orange (vendor) gear is the second strongest set in the episode.
    • Legendary-Elite/orange (vendor) gear is the strongest set in the episode (because of set bonuses).
    • Omnipotence/gold (collections-plus) gear is even stronger (two items).
    We know that's a lot to take in, so we are here to answer any questions and consider your feedback.

We also highly recommend you read about the rest of Episode 27 in this letter from DCUO's Creative Director SJ "NerdOfPrey" Mueller.
    • Like x 25
  2. ChillCat Loyal Player

SUPER GREAT!!!!
    • Like x 2
  3. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Best Gear in Vendor! YES!
    • Like x 4
  4. light FX Steadfast Player

Very skeptical about the way this gear works. Not a fan at all of OP gear being tied to collections. Imo that is not a good idea. Best gear on vendor isnt bad. I like that. But OP gear for collections is not good. It means people will always need on those collections. Even if they already have it because they could pass it to an alt or sell it.

I cant judge it until i play it. But i wonder why we need another huge change to the loot system. Changing this every year is not something i am a fan of. We need 1 direction to be picked and stuck to. Not constant change. Hope this is the direction that stays for a long time now.

Btw superman godfall gear is amazing. Love the look. I can finally pull off a nu52 superboy look :D
    • Like x 2
  5. Absolix Loyal Player

#BestGearOnVendor, YEEEEEEEEESSS!!!!!

Love the changes to drops to make it more consistently an improvement.

Renown sounds interesting, but will have to wait to see how it works.

The changes to the omnipotence items hopefully makes getting them as a drop less frustrating. Will hope it works well.
    • Like x 1
  6. HymnOfMercy Dedicated Player

7. Green Lantern Fadi Loyal Player

FINALLLYYY HOLY JUMPING HERRA!
    • Like x 1
  8. Captain JackDaniels Well-Known Player

9. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Just seems a lot like Symbols all over again. ;)
    • Like x 2
  10. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Is Vendor Gear also craft-able?
  11. Little MD Well-Known Player

Anddd there goes all my replay badges. well done :)
  12. sepiaskidmark Committed Player

Are the collection pieces available in all content or just raids? If it is available in all content, do certain pieces only drop in the raids or can you get them anywhere?
  13. YinChakra Dedicated Player

Not going to lie, I was planning on quiting DC, with DS3 DLC coming out later this month and got a new job, but after seeing the livestream. DC4LYFE!

Guess i'll just have to make time.
    • Like x 1
  14. Derio 15000 Post Club

I am actually speechless right now.

I had a set of low expectations and a set of high expectations and the devs exceeded both of them.

All I can say is well done, and now its time to go tell my friends.
    • Like x 4
  15. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

So is the whole crafting stuff done ? And what's the prices of the gear going to be ?
  16. motionsick Well-Known Player

Is the ill-fated scraps/R&D thing being dumped for this DLC?
    • Like x 1
  17. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

Derio is back omg :D
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Interesting.

I am curious as to what the Ancient Coin payouts will be. Will they match existing Mark payouts in content (1 for solo, 2 for duo, etc.)? Didn't see anything in the livestream or the post about that.
  19. TuniKs Level 30

What exactly are we getting from the elite raids now ?
  20. Pingvinozavr Dedicated Player

Devs could easily fix that by locking "need" button for everyone that already got that collection.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.