Development Update: Death of Superman Part I

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NerdOfPrey, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Well the Star Wars prequels started off with a lot to complain about and look how that turned out. Look at what you just typed though: "with the 1st phase being less intriguing". So its already started out rough, missing what a lot of people were really hoping for, and you want to give out because people had complaints?

Its the equivalent of someone getting you a 120 page book for your birthday and saying:
    "Oh btw the first 40 pages are boring as sh## and have no payoff for the specific kinds of books you like to read"
    "Thanks.. for the book... I guess. But it gets better by page 41 right?"
    "No idea, the rest of the pages are completely blank, writers going to release them online in 2 months, enjoy"
    • Like x 3
  2. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Yeah. I mean, Doomed was really just an excuse for Greg Pak (creator of Planet Hulk) to do a Hulk story with Superman. That’s why it’s not classic - it’s derivative. It’s forgettable stuff like most of the New 52. That’s why DC Rebirth happened - New 52 ultimately failed once the “new” wore off.
    • Like x 2
  3. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

So you admit that you don't know what's coming in the next part but are okay with how things are but you're upset with someone who doesn't know what's coming but is upset with what things are... that makes no sense.

You are happy with what you're getting in phase 1, it's a preference no more no less. Person B is not happy with it, again it's a preference but according to you they are ungrateful because what they want could come to pass but what has come to pass is something is not something they consider valuable...... again I just don't get it.

I do understand your point is that were not done with this story line and there are going to be more to it that could cause people's opinions to change about the event as a whole.... that being said it does not mean a person's opinion about not liking things or expressing disappointment is flat out wrong nor is it ungrateful.

If you put things out in parts, you're going to be judged on those parts, rather than the sum of those parts... often ever after all the parts are complete.
    • Like x 5
  4. Superman/5vperman Level 30

Also need to remember that this isn't the first anniversary that's come up during DCUO's time. They completely missed the 75th. And basically said "oops?" and soon after celebrated Batman Day (or maybe Flash? Something like that). It's important to note that we've had two "Batman Days" celebrated in DCUO already - enough for Harley Quinn to take one over to change up a year. And Superman?.....nope. The hero who's the reason the rest of these characters exist doesn't have a celebration day. So this 80 Anniversary event already has heightened expectations attached to it, just because of that.

We've had Superman content and costumes, and some of it VERY good - the Fallen God and Stalwart Defender suits in particular (even if I'm not a New52 fan for the second one). But players have access to a number of other styles that are close to exact to the main version on a number of characters, from Mera and Aquaman to Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. Superman still doesn't have a basic top style that works enough for the classic look. How hard is that? Just a basic top with an open neck, no lines and no emblem, but that allows for a large emblem on it. The closest is Stalwart Defender, but that's the New52 armor. A version of the Noble Warrior top with no lines and allowing an emblem would be perfect.

I was very excited about Krypto, and still love that we have him! That's awesome! And I'm glad to see some Superman content that's set in Metropolis (loved the Kandor and Brainiac missions, but I've wanted some Super-centric Metro fun for awhile now). So I'm loving that. And I do like Lobo - though, I kinda wish he'd had his own content, with the alien bar and some space-style stories. That would have been cool. So that's something of a missed opportunity, but still. And the Daily Planet with no bottle on it is fantastic. Hope we get to go inside, but that might be a bit much to ask.

People have mentioned licensing... Superman can't possibly be more expensive than the "almighty Batman", so unless someone can confirm that he is, that doesn't fly with me (no pun intended) given all the Batman stuff (unless all the money went to that?). I'm sure it's not cheap, certainly. But honestly... if a perfect Superman suit+hair showed up in the Marketplace for $100... it's mine. I'd jump for it in a heartbeat, no question. (By the way, Daybreak, you wanna make me that deal by myself, you have my info, LOL!) Or another thought could be, since there are three parts to this.. do the Lobo costume, but then have one other piece of gear for completing the content.. say, the belt. Then part two would be the top, and three would be the cape (not like House Of El, think more like the Ultra-Kryptonian cape minus the damage, like the in-game Superman's.). And maybe an emblem either for sale or something to cap it off. Almost like those figures where there's a piece of a bigger figure inside, and you need them all to put it together.

Anyway, I'm not as down on the content as some are, but given the size of the anniversary and how Superman's milestones have been missed a bit compared to other characters... I get it. There is this gut feeling that the 80th will pass and leave fans who've been excited for this disappointed (again). Is that a bit premature? Absolutely. But it's also a bit like DC itself when "Rebirth" came about; fans had been burned before and were skeptical. DC Comics proceeded to knock it out of the park and restored a LOT of goodwill that they'd previously squandered. And I do truly hope that's what happens here. We'll see.
    • Like x 3
  5. Red Batern Well-Known Player

This is COMPLETELY incorrect. Someone who has a diagnosed "mental health issue" should SEEK TREATMENT from a professional. The LAST thing they should do is assume they can self-medicate or "self-therapy" their way into remission.

Since you are indirectly admitting you have a mental health issue, I suggest you find a therapist. And ANY psychologist will tell you, that if all you do is post negative comments on social media (which it appears you are doing because you posted in these threads almost immediately and echoed the SAME negativity) then you need to unplug because agitating an underlying condition with a regressive stimuli is NEVER a good idea.

What a line of garbage. Please refrain from giving anyone, anywhere, at anytime ANY advice about psychological.

Thank you in advance.
  6. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Hm, must be from the bygone era of "bottle it up, you'll be fine".
    That or just didnt read the posts properly.
    Either way you should be congratulated, as much as I love chating with complete paradoxes like yourself, you'll be the third recipient of my ignore list invitation in 6yrs. Quite an accomplishment for a first time reply.

If psychology is your field, please quit. I can only imagine how much damage you must have done so far with that kind of "nobody can express themselves while im around" mantra. Plus I dont think someone should trust someone who gives "advice about psychological"

Have a good day :)
    • Like x 1
  7. Red Batern Well-Known Player

K
  8. Charger New Player

O...K? So are we going to address IN STORY that by virtue of Doomsday already existing in DCUO, that Superman would have had to die at least once? As this follows Pre-New 52 continuity up to a certain point, the Death of Superman comic story would have had to already happen? Is there going to be some voiceover or dialogue that reconciles the fact that in order for Doomsday to have existed in previous content, Superman would have already died!?

COMIC BOOK NERDS NEED TO KNOW!
    • Like x 1
  9. Jensu Well-Known Player

will you be releasing the house of EL Superman gear with the event...been wanting that set for my villain for years
  10. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Alright. So its late at night. And the replies I have gotten are not what I would have thought I had gotten. You guys took in too much detail and its out of proportion.

My intent for my whole post was that it is only the first phase of the content, and people were already making assumptions that it was "not good" or "a let down". My post above when I said "less intriguing" , I meant content wise, as in, an open world only. Not that it was bad at the start. I think it looks great. I think people will love the ending to the DoS storyline. If the majority of the population doesnt, then mark my words.

Some people still are unhappy, and havent even given it a chance.

Maybe I could have used different words in my first comment to express a different perspective of how I felt about people judging the content on the first preview. I know everybody has a right to an opinion, and thats ok. Maybe its just my view on things. Maybe my expectations were exceeded, while others werent. Again, thats ok.

Also, i had to re read your first comment on the reply. I am not upset because they didnt know whats coming, I stated my comment because they judged the content and put a negative view on it. Two totally different things. I think you might have confused yourself lol.

And dont think any of my replies to you are me being negative towards you or anyone else. Its hard to understand mental/verbal communication through text. I am just stating my opinion, as are you
  11. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

It's late at night and maybe you don't understand my post... let me say it again.

You are happy with what's coming. The style and the open world area were getting aren't a let down for you. They make you happy or at least intrigued (or as you point out you could just be waiting to try it out before you judge)... there is nothing wrong with that. Let's just call you Person A.

Person B on the other hand is not happy with the Lobo style (which in the case of most people folks are probably going really you're releasing this now during a Superman event) due to the fact that their were lots of other Superman style ideas that folks would have wanted. They also aren't excited with the Open World concept because they were looking forward to something fresh and it's mostly just chasing around bounties. Again opinion based nothing wrong with that.

You called person B ungrateful and told them they have no right to judge until they play the content (again were getting a new style and open world instance, it's not an alert or anything so for the most part I don't see it as a stretch for people to people to not need to play this before deciding if they are going to be happy with this first phase... because it's nothing fresh.... we've been killing bounties for how long now?) and that's kind of where you crossed a line.

Again this is the first part were getting and while one can argue it's too soon to judge the overall event (since we haven't gotten the whole thing yet) you do have this first phase and just like it would be done in movies, food (and any number of things I might add) people are going to judge what's in front of them because at the end of the day that's what they have to play.
    • Like x 2
  12. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

You know, when you put it like that, it really does make sense. I cant really speak for anyone else, just the replies Ive seen are typically ungrateful. I see your point, but at the same time, its still only Phase 1 and we all have no idea how epic this content might get. I just wish people would not criticize it before playing it. Especially when people just base it off of "looks"
  13. |The 3rror Committed Player

tbh we just gonna have to wait until the content release on live better than watching other players make youtube vids on it on top of alot of people been asking for lobo style to be added to the game (doesn’t include hoodie) he a underrated character
  14. Zneeak Devoted Player

A high texture release of that style-set probably wouldn't hurt, like they have done with a couple of other old vendor-sets lately.
    • Like x 2
  15. Gambo323 Level 30

I’m so disappointed in the dev team. You guys really dropped the ball on this one. When it’s batman related you go all out with gear and content and great storylines but when it’s superman it’s crap. No emblem, no gear (related to Superman) and you wanna “re-tell” the story of his death. Boooooooo shame on you daybreak shaaaaaame. I thought we were better than this
    • Like x 2
  16. Maxabel New Player

The Lobo costume is perfect for a first of three part content. He was the guy who showed up in "Hereafter" ( superman 'death') in Justice League the animated series.

In one injustice ending Doomsday wipes out the Earth and ventures into space hoping to find a worthy adversary in Lobo after hearing about him.

And the costume is so metal it fit well with all the amount of violence and destructions of doomtropolis.
  17. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I can understand why replies seem ungrateful (which is a word that gets thrown about too much on here in the past year, at least what I've seen) especially considering that this content didn't get dropped out of thin air, it had to be produced. If anyone wants to take the ungrateful shot (which I still isn't think is warranted) it "should" only be directed at premium members (and again I don't think anyone who dislikes it should be, please let me explain before any flaming) if they are complaining about the content. Reason why is because they have to pay nothing for it, it's free for everyone (you can argue legendaries don't have to pay for it but if they are subbed up while paying for it, well let's just say that they are in fact "paying for it").... and again even that would be a stretch.

Also, and this is the part I still think you don't understand, some people did not like Halls of Power 1 but they may have loved Halls of Power 3... or any combination of that matter, they may say that they like the whole Halls of Power episode as a whole after they've played through it (assuming they even play through all of it) but they may still think parts of it are flat... again they can only play what they have available to them (whether locked out by CR or not being able to play due to no sub or non ownage of content) and can only judge what's in front of them. (and yes it's the third and final time I say this, because while you say you see it, I don't quite think you really understand fully).

I personally don't care for the style (their are numerous other styles I would have liked, superman based no less and I am not even a huge fan of Superman) they've released and I think now we have the opposite problem that we used to (went from having no open worlds to back to back open worlds, but in these ones we mostly do the same thing over and over again) so I would put myself in the firm cap of not caring about what's being initially released and I probably will only touch it on test. I do think that them turning this into something permanent is a rather nice gesture and while it eventually could be "useful" in the long run most of their plans and actions haven't quite been in that vein and I'm not sure right now with population dipping was the right time to allocate resources to a plan like this, I'd love to be proven wrong though.
    • Like x 3
  18. Superman/5vperman Level 30

I got that for my villain via Promethium Lockboxes, but looks like you'll be able to use replays to buy styles that you have on other characters soon. REALLY excited about that, since I have a Cyborg Superman villain that needs the face piece for Henshaw, and I just haven't had a chance to get a group to run that stuff so I can get the briefings.
  19. Jensu Well-Known Player

hmm i can't remember when i had my hero if i unlock that style...guess i have to waot to find out
  20. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

I completely understand where you come from 100%.