Development Update: Death of Superman Part I

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by NerdOfPrey, Apr 20, 2018.

1. NerdOfPrey Creative Director

Hey everyone – it’s SJ (NerdofPrey) and we’re ready to celebrate Action Comics #1000 and the 80th birthday of the world’s first Superhero, SUPERMAN!!!

We love the big blue boy scout so much, that we decided to create an entire new storyline for the game that will play out over several content updates between larger episodes. First we started with the Daily Planet Newspaper dispenser, to make sure you got Metropolis News, Now! So be sure to place the item in your base and use it to get any fresh news stories on the Superman spectacular.

SPOILER ALERT! In May, DOOMSDAY ATTACKS METROPOLIS! Despite the rebuilding efforts of LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises, this updated Metropolis map has already been scarred by a crater the size of a city block – the impact of Doomsday making his touchdown. Somehow, he’s back from his imprisonment in the Phantom Zone and he is ready to seek revenge. Superman is on the scene, but it’s up to you to slow him down before he trashes the entire city.

The story will continue in June with two more pieces of content. For a look at part one and some of the rewards, make sure to watch the livestream preview, too.

SJ "Nerd of Prey" Mueller
    Creative Director
    DC Universe Online

• Like x 13
  2. Sleepy Healer Steadfast Player

3. Belthazur Dedicated Player

SUPER GREAT!!!!!
  4. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Lobo is life, Lobo is love....
    • Like x 1
  5. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

It's a big letdown that we don't get a Superman style that should of been in the first part at the very least.
    • Like x 4
  6. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

For the love of Rao, you's say "some" of the rewards, if its somehow possible that you's missed everyone asking for this thousands of times over 7yrs in hundreds of threads, please see it now:

Lobo wasn't even affiliated enough with Superman to make it into any of the Action Comics 1000 stories. I like that people who wanted his style got it, the content looks great tbh and exactly what it should be, but theres 1 very very important thing missing: A SUPERMAN STYLE

I'll be crossing my fingers AND toes that its being saved for Part 2 or 3, and I dont mean to diminish the content because it genuinely looks good, but this was a Major letdown over something I highly doubt DC wouldve blocked.
    • Like x 3
  7. TestReporter Loyal Player

I really like that you guys are trying new things between the episodes, but was this event really worth the resources spent? I know there is more to come and i don't know the other players opnions, but this isn't something that will make me want to play more daily (maybe in the first 2-3 days, but after that...).

It's basically a major event, but without any progression or anything to make the farmed gear worth it. The concept isn't terrible, but i don't feel like the motivation to spend time in this event is there.
    • Like x 1
  8. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

As much as I like lobo this event should have given a doomsday style or superman style rather than lobo. He isn't going to be in the storyline to tie into it. A bit of a dissapointment
    • Like x 5
  9. EconoKnight XIII Legion

Well, I know it’s trying to be spun as Death of Superman, but this is just an adaptation of the New 52 story “Doomed”:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Doomed

So you can look at that to see where things are going. We’ll likely get in June a fight with Doomsday and a fight with transformed Superman (“SuperDoom”). And that’s it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

Awesomeness, More posters... has anyone seen ambush bug.. yeah hes a little green guy holding my posters...
  11. Ala Rebeldex Loyal Player

I liked what i saw. Looking forward to it.
  12. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I think this sneak peek is impressive. The LOBO styles are awesome. The posters look cool too.

Doomsday running around in metro is

[IMG]

Thank you guys for your hard work. This content is going to be sweet. :)
    • Like x 2
  13. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Not to mention that we'll actually be able to sit on the Daily Planet, instead of just on a bottle...
    • Like x 1
  14. Jewlz2814 New Player

Smh lobo really lobo wow ya lets get players interested in a superman dlc with lobo style as a reward i knew you would let us down dc and frankly im expecting to not recieve any superman emblems from this entire 3 part saga of bs thanks for nothing
    • Like x 1
  15. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

Some of yall are so ungrateful. And you dont even have the patience or audacity to wait until what comes next. You still have part 2 AND part 3, which you have no idea what comes next. For all you know, we could be getting the best Superman style in the game.
    • Like x 2
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Looking forward to this
  17. Telos Usr Dedicated Player

Sorry to burst your bubble but theres absolutely nothing wrong with expressing disappointment. In this day and age of mental health awareness its the healthiest thing a person can do, especially if its valid.

This is Supermans 80th and Action Comics 1000th issue celebration. I stated in my own post that the content looks great, it looks spot-on for what I was hoping for, but whats one of the biggest complaints going at the moment in multiple threads? Too much focus on Batman and Flash. Who's team is Lobo currently on? Batmans. What gear did we get to start off Supermans celebration? Lobo....

Lets run through the very very few alternatives that would have made more sense for a Death Of storyline content:
    Steel
    Superboy
    Eradicator
    Hank Henshaw
    Guy Gardner
    Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Fire
    Bloodwynd
    Maxima
    Mongul
    Doomsday
    or SUPERMAN

If you dont want to see people disappointed with this then leave the thread, its that simple. The Assassin TC makes sense, the Style Unlock update is great, the DoS p1 content looks good, but people have the right to be disappointed considering one of the most sought after Styles wasnt the first one, one they could wear on their "inspired by" toons or mix and match with their current styles and enjoy while they played through Part 2 and 3.

And to answer your terrible last statement, you know nothing either. For all you know we wont be getting it.
    • Like x 8
  18. spack2k Steadfast Player

for so many years ppl asked for Lobo style aswell, u can not satisfy all at the same time, there are 2 more parts to come and i bet a superman outfit will be there just probably not the one he is using to fly around, it will be more the one he gets buried in :p for the superman fanboys HAHAHAHA

i like what i saw ,doomsday runing and demolishing everything around hell yeah just idk if it will keep ppl for playing it for to long but yeah first few days it will be exciting, i guess it should just keep us excited until part2 arrives , bring it on !
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

That's kind of disappointing to be honest, though maybe people who are more into the New 52 storyline than the classic story with the 4 pretenders, etc. will be happy I guess.
    • Like x 3
  20. Balistical Ice Loyal Player

To continue my last statement.

1. This is the first piece of content, of 3.
    2. I never said I knew what was in part 2 or part 3. (But more than likely, there WILL be a Superman related style)
    3. You never know what could be in Part 2 and 3. Hell, Part 3 might have all characters you mentioned in your above statment.

So yeah, I didnt necessarily quote you, but from the responses I read in other threads, including this one, they didnt have not one good thing to say. So I still stand by my statement and say that some players will never be happy/grateful.

And btw, my whole point was that we had 2 more phases from the Superman 80th, with the 1st phase being the less intriguing (besides Doomsday lol.) And people were already complaining because they didnt like the style they got or the content wasnt exceeding their expectations.
    • Like x 1