Development Update: Atlantis!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

[IMG]

Hey everyone! It’s SJ “NerdOfPrey” Mueller, Creative Director of DCUO, and I’m excited to invite you to join me in Atlantis, our next episode, launching November 8, 2018!

A WHALE OF TALE

As you recall from Deluge, Corum Rath is an Atlantean usurper and has set his sights on King Arthur’s throne. He believes that Arthur, or as surface-dwellers call him, “the Aquaman,” spends too much time gallivanting around the surface world with the Justice League and not enough time serving the people of Atlantis. Rath doesn’t seem to understand nor care that when Aquaman protects the world, that includes their home too.

However, despite his claims to love Atlantis, Corum Rath is by no means a servant to all Atlanteans. He does not believe all are created equal, and has plans to divide and conquer the people and their city.

THE MAD KING

In his efforts to become the most powerful ruler Atlantis has ever seen, Corum Rath has turned to magic...dark magic. The Silent School sorcerers are ransacking noble houses, museums, and armories looking for magical relics to feed their power-hungry master. Many say that Rath has gone too far and dug too deep, breaching the abyssal dark and bringing forth an abomination, a beast that could be Atlantis’ ruin.

DREAMS OF THE SEA

It has been one of our biggest dreams as developers to be able to bring Atlantis to DCUO, in a way worthy of this great city. We wanted to bring you an experience like you’ve never seen before. We wanted you to swim.

The streets are yours to wander, the halls of the palace, yours to explore. Arthur, Mera, and Ocean Master are all by your side, grateful for your partnership during the crisis at Spindrift. But above all, you must defend this beautiful realm, including the jellyfish, whales and other creatures that call it home.

And it’s not just whales and fish you’ll meet here – the people of Atlantis fill the streets and halls, looking better than ever. You’ll even find bustling activity in the deepest trenches. And we’re joined by several brand new iconic characters including Aqualad, King Shark, and the Captain of the King’s Guard himself, Murk! He’s one tough oyster, and boy does he mean business. But he’s not the biggest threat you’ll meet… there are dangers in the deep.

REWARDS

And wait til you set your eyes on the new styles. An entire gear suit inspired by the Mad King himself, an amazing tactical suit inspired by Aqualad, and many more styles, feats, base items, and artifacts await.

[IMG]

So join us tomorrow (October 25), when Atlantis will launch on our Test Server, and join us on all servers and platforms for Atlantis' launch, on November 8!

If you missed the livestream preview, watch the replay now:

• Like x 12
  2. Eve YouTuber

I was so impressed!!!! Great job team. Can't wait for the episode, in time for my Bday :D
    Feels like a Birthday gift...
    • Like x 5
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I missed the livestream :(
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wait, if Ocean Master is now an ally, does that mean a brand new Summer Event next year? o_O
  5. MrMigraine Devoted Player

It's obvious that the devs put a whole lot of extra effort into this Episode. Everything looks beautiful, swimming is actually an intrinsic part of the gameplay and it sounds like the contents' mechanics will be both fun and challenging. Looking forward to the Artifact reveals next week!

All in all, I'm very excited!
    • Like x 2
  6. Zneeak Devoted Player

Everything you showed us so far about Atlantis was just amazing, I'm really impressed in the work presented so far in terms of the big Open world-areas and what not.

The styles so far look stunning, especially the Corum Rath-set with that Helmet and Shoulderpads! The Aqualad-style was a real pleasant surprise aswell. Here's hoping that aside from those style sets, there will also be some Sea creature-inspired styles either within the Briefings, Collections & Investigations or possibly added later to the Gear vendor. Murk's shoulderpad and Hand-style comes to mind. I would kill for a Shark Fin-backpiece and possibly even a King Shark-inspired head-style lol.

I'm really excited to dive into this when it goes live and I really like that we seem to be getting some more puzzles and engaging mechanics aswell as finally getting an epic, giant boss! Please stand your ground on that, Devs. Do not let the usual suspects dumb down what could have the potential to be one of the better episodes up to date.

Overall, I just want to thank you for finally bringing us to the beautiful Atlantis!
    • Like x 4
  7. Mermaid Dedicated Player

copy n' pasting my response from the other thread

Breathtaking world! So rich, intricate, and vibrant. Sea-riously already the best environment even though they have been doing mermazing environments in the past already but this world easily tops them all!! The swimming aspect which I'm not shore why some people doubted was pearlfectly executed and I kinda figured they'd be able to deliver because swimming is an essential part of Atlantis.

Love all the details from the swimming marine life to the aquatic faunas, the ancient statues and architecture, it all so nice to soak in and sea! I've been yearning for this content for soo long and every episodes suggestions thread that would pop in and out, I'm there with my Atlantis DLC wishlist! The styles were also appropriate and very fabulous as usual!

Thank you devs for all your hard-work in making this episode stunning! I'm actually glad and I understand why you didn't do Atlantis back in the day, I don't think at the time you would have able to do it justice but now I can't wait to swim around all day!! I shell be taking bottomless shellfies...

I would also love if we could place our bases here, as many people in the stream pointed out. This world is really on another level (sea-level that is). This would be a wonderful opportunaty to incorporate new themes with the undersea swimming aspect and increase longevity of the world. I would probably never leave!
    • Like x 3
  8. recoil2 Dedicated Player

i just have a few unexpected things to dote on about this upcoming episode after watching the replay video on youtube. the first and worst thing i thought they might ruin was swimming, however the posturing, pacing mid combat, and mobility is just as good as some of the top games i've seen do swimming if not a cut above some of them. the second thing i have to applaud the developers and storyboard writers on is actually fleshing out the "fight for the throne" plot and really giving it that deeper context especially one which matches the original comic book material well. adding the magic school in was a stroke of brilliance and i'm really hoping we can take the silent school book shelves and library stuff back with us as base items.
    • Like x 1
  9. EconoKnight XIII Legion

If we can revisit Central City a dozen times over, I’m sure we’ll see Atlantis again too. ;)
  10. Hurly-Burly Active Player

I think someone called a swimming movement mode a few days ago. That was a bit of a surprise. Not into the styles, but the movement and overall design of the episode are solid.
    • Like x 1
  11. Isif Committed Player

I think they've been hinting at the swim mode for awhile. The early announcements of Atlantis prompted people to start talking about newer movement modes. It seems like swimming is only indigenous to this map, but I congratulate the Dev team for tackling this concept successfully. I do suspect that DCUO will become CCUO though. Cobraaah Commander Universe Online.

"I was once a man..." :D
  12. Atzec-Rasta Level 30

Happy Birthday Enjoy in a big way!
  13. powerwoman274 Well-Known Player

I'm so excited can't wait to see it on the test server when its up!! ;)
  14. Eve YouTuber

Still 7 days to go ;) But yeah it feels like It's a birthday gift since It's 3 days after... Thanks! :D
  15. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

OK! OK! So I got my tab to start posting on this extravagant and rich highly visually intense and exiting new Atlantis DLC! LOL Cut! It's on..,

New stretch goal! Future Metropolis LSH! Krypton/Kryptonopolis-Superboy travels back in time (comics). Wow grats and thanks team!⚡

Woot! There it is..,

Also, and after reading everyone's comments, exactly what they said..,I'm still Superboy..,

LOL

And, I don't always game but when I do, it's DC Universe Online. Stay true to the game my friend.

Edit, cut! And that's it's back on...

@imcrowley you certainly are lol

And a most very happy birthday, to all, and to all a very happy Atlantis ;)
  16. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Looks Great
  17. Doc.Doom15 Committed Player

@KidSuperBoy:

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  18. ImCrowley Developer

Glad we could bring you a great birthday gift! You are definitely going to love the new episode.
    • Like x 2
  19. Karmicbacklash New Player

Great job on Atlantis episode it looks to be a great DLC. I do have one request though. Could you please remove the cap on prestige? It kind of handicaps new leagues who are made of active players, there is no need for it as for once everything is acquired there is no advantage against other leagues. Our league has a little over 100 members and cap out fairly quickly with no flow over! I do not think removing or raising the cap would hurt anything.
  20. SuperBell Loyal Player

Cool. What day is that?
    • Like x 1