Dev Discussion Development Update: Artifact Catalyst Consolidation

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

While I hate putting 'Like' on something I dislike so much, thanks for getting this info out there. I'm going to throw my hat in on this being utter crap. I'm not sure why this would need to happen...or at least why we'll be told it was needed, if we are told anything. This is a huge change and it was omitted from the notes on how cats were changing, which makes me believe they know how well it would be received and yet did it anyway. Another decision made only to force us into buying more stuff from the MP, and to remove a legitimate way to earn in-game cash without opening gamble boxes.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  2. dresserball Dedicated Player

Quoting this again as you keep putting more stipulations on it. If you want the generator up all you need to do is run a vault on each character per day.

If you don't progress in the way that would would like then you need to compromise somewhere. But in the end you can easily keep the generators up.
  3. loupblanc Dedicated Player

Managed to find some info. Are the new costs that I posted correct?

D = Dionesium - 7 Source Marks
    Q = Quantum - 10 Source Marks
    P = Paradox - 15 Source Marks

Rank 20 - 2D = 14 Source Marks
    Rank 40 - 2D, 1Q = 34 Source Marks
    Rank 60 - 3D, 2Q, 1P = 56 Source Marks
    Rank 80 - 4D, 3Q, 2P = 88 Source Marks
    Rank 100 - 5D, 4Q, 3P = 120 Source Marks
    Rank 120 - 6D, 5Q, 4P = 152 Source Marks
    Rank 140 - 7D, 6Q, 5P = 184 Source Marks
    Rank 160 - 8D, 7Q, 6P = 216 Source Marks
    Rank 180 - 9D, 8Q, 7P = 248 Source Marks
    Rank 200 - 10D, 9Q, 8P = 280 Source Marks

Old - 20/30/60/90/120/150/180/210
    New - 14/34/56/88/120/152/184/216/248/280

Overall, not much change.
  4. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Drop Sidekick and Henchmen, the're awful. I just saved you 84 marks a year, no need to thank me just pay it forward.
    • Like x 1
  5. Ice master187 Active Player

Hello, I wanted to ask if its possible to change the pet artifact Grimorion verUm so for electric it would give the electrify P I instead of the Polarized P I the polarized loadouts are just awfull compare to any other powers P I ty
    • Like x 1
  6. AutoBot Rage Active Player

The increases to the artifacts are so minimal do guys really need or want to these up to 200 right away? I'm sure a lot of you here have all artifacts to 160 or close to it and have been doing just fine :) Go at it at your own pace guys no need to get worked up if you have multiple toons.
    • Like x 1
  7. dresserball Dedicated Player

I might be in the wrong, but I feel like this isn't a developer discussion at all. So Mepps or any dev why did these go account bound and could that be changed?
  8. dresserball Dedicated Player

Not even a week old and the discussion is over.
    • Like x 1
  9. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Hey, I'll talk this one to death if it gets an answer, or overturns the whole 'account bound' idea, but until a dev weighs in we'll just be complaining....which we are all very good at....but it normally just gets a thread shut down.

It's just another one of those back handed improvements we get...."Well since you've been asking for things to stack to 99, we are giving it to you...of course in a week we'll introduce 20x the amount of stuff you carry around or bank... You're welcome!"....."Hey, we are simplifying cats since you've all obviously been asking for it...but they will no longer be tradable...So that's great....right?"

What fine print?

Reinheld
  10. Brother Allen Loyal Player

This HAS to be a mistake.

Can any Developer please comment on this and explain if this is a mistake or not.
  11. loupblanc Dedicated Player

This change probably has people just buying up all the available Catalyst Caches on the broker, just in case.
  12. Brother Allen Loyal Player

No doubt. I already have 574 Caches/Catalyst in my inventory at this point. If we get confirmation that this is indeed intended I plan on getting close to 1,000 before the episode hits so I'll have a healthy stash of around 10,000 Source Marks ready to roll once the conversion hits. That way I'll have more than enough Source Marks to buy up Catalyst for my Artifacts along with a surplus. However, I do feel this has to be an error. There is no sense in the Catalyst not being able to be traded among the community. It was a decent secondary in-game market item that gave numerous players ways to make money.
  13. Millefune PSN Well-Known Player

Source Marks are available for Marketplace Cash now. Source Marks will be required to get Artifact Catalysts, since we won't be able to buy them from others with in-game money. Those who don't want to grind out content and bought Catalysts on the Broker will now have to buy Source Marks from the Marketplace (or Catalyst packs if they bring them back), if they don't want to continue to not grind out Source Marks.

If the Account-Bound status on the Test Server isn't intended for the Live version, then fine. But if it is... this is super predatory. We already pay a subscription (the game is technically Free to Play, but with the caps on money and limited access to content, it's more like Subscribe or Suffer) for the game, so they have a regular dependable income without having to push more spending on us.

As I've said before, I'll wait and see how this will affect my ability to progress in the game. I depend on selling the Catalysts I get from playing content and grinding out Source Marks. That money helps me buy things from the broker that I missed out on before I joined the game, or that I wasn't lucky enough to get in the capsules I opened, so I can complete feats. I've been a regular spender on cosmetic items and replay badges. DCUO gets about $50-70 a month from me, but if this is really going to be a thing, that'll drop to $15 a month for the subscription only. Or to $0 a month if it just makes my progression too frustrating, and if the gains for my time/effort are too unrewarding.
    • Like x 2
  14. Melusine Midnight Rainbow Phoenix

I often give leaguemates catalysts. I will miss the ability to do so.
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Very well put. This is an absolutely atrocious attempt at making money if it is intended. If this is in fact intended, the community should seriously band together and speak out against this. While it won't effect me, since I will have an ungodly amount of Source Marks by the time the Episode hits, it still pisses me off to think that Daybreak would go as low as trying to swindle players into buying Source Marks from the Marketplace by removing a feature in the game. They already did this once with Seals of Preservation but I'll give Daybreak the benefit of the doubt on that one because there was a rampant glitch that caused the Seals to be a dime a dozen. Catalyst Caches or Catalyst however have not suffered from such a issue.
    • Like x 1
  16. loupblanc Dedicated Player

The thing is the target audience for this change to account-bound - the end-tier spenders - are no doubt buying up catalyst caches right now, as much as their in-game $ budget allows.

If this goes live, they are prepared. If this goes live, and then gets reversed, they can sell and make back their $ plus get a profit potentially. The 1% top spenders are totally unaffected, but middle-tier spenders will be affected.

Long term, this increases the costs for players to have fully updated gear, artifacts etc.

I see this change going to live first, and only getting reversed if there is a sudden drop in game sales $ for the first two months after the new episode hits.
    • Like x 1
  17. Millefune PSN Well-Known Player

They'll be losing $35-55 a month from me, as I bought replay badges for my alternates, and some catalysts from the marketplace. I bought catalysts from the market place for the artifact leveling, while selling the catalysts I got through Source Marks for in-game money. It was my way of avoiding any temptation of the cash-spammers or risking the account. If catalysts go account bound, I will have to just use the catalysts I get from Source Marks, since I can't sell them, and that means I won't have to buy any from the Marketplace anymore. I'll also have to slow down my playing of alternates, so that means less replay badges purchased to buy over feats I don't want to regrind through. My monthly allotment of Legendary Emporium money and Replay Badges will be enough to support the two or three characters I'll drop down to.

I hope that this drop in income won't only come from me, but I know that Daybreak is a business, and they need to make money. I also know that the best way to communicate my wishes are to speak with both my words and my money. We'll see how it turns out, and how others will take it. Again, hopefully it will result in a drop in income, so they will want to change it back to where catalysts are tradeable again.
  18. dresserball Dedicated Player

I don't get it because they can already be bought on the market place.
  19. Millefune PSN Well-Known Player

"They" as in Catalysts? No, they took them off. Some people didn't want to buy catalysts with real money, so they bought them with in-game money via the broker. Those are the people that would buy from me. Just because you or I would buy from the Marketplace, doesn't mean that everyone has the means to spend real money on them. So they would pay for the convenience of not having to grind them out themselves, and not have to spend real money, by paying whatever they were listed for on the broker.

There used to be three options to handle artifact breakthroughs:

1. Grind out Source Marks and get Catalysts from John Constantine.
    2. Buy Catalysts or Source Marks from the Marketplace with real money.
    3. Buy Catalysts off the broker with in-game money.

With the coming Game Update (According to what ProxyStar posted from the Test Server), they're removing option #3, so now if you don't want to grind out Source Marks, your only option is to spend real money.
    • Like x 1
  20. Ambush New Player

I haven’t seen anyone ask this, but I’m wondering if it is any catalyst that will convert into source marks. For example, the ones that drop in JLD for the OP back. Will those convert to source marks after the update.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.