DEV Suggestion: Support Role Training Dummies

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SixSigma, Jun 5, 2016.

1. SixSigma Well-Known Player

So the idea would be add Training Dummies that are role specific. For example, I'm learning how to troll and want to work on a loadout. Yes I could just watch videos all day about what works for other people but it isn't the same as learning how to use the powers yourself.

Currently the only way a person can practice their support roles is to do actual content. This isn't always the best method if a players only option is PUG or LFG. Not all players are receptive to someone learning a support role.

What would be helpful is to have the option to set a training dummy to: attack or jump away; use random amounts of power; or to lose random amounts of health/health bar always low. Then allow us to have a parser equivalent to the Damage one but displays Healing Out or Power Out or Damage In.

The game has progressed to a point where trial by fire isn't always the best option. Some people do learn well that way but some want to hone their skills the way DPSs can via the training dummies. Just an idea I hope the Devs can support someday. Thanks.
    • Like x 9
  2. Controller Devoted Player

Good idea.

Even if players still choose to dps as they start to level up, at least this will make them more aware of their "other" role.

Something like this would've helped me as I was leveling up. I did not use my Controller role until I was CR 66 or so and in an Outer T2 raid in Summer of 2013. Even then I had to learn on the fly because I had no idea what I was doing.
  3. Derio 15000 Post Club

Not saying its not possible, but at the same time it would require alot of work. I would much rather them use an old instance and use that as a training instance for all roles. Have it stat clamp you to the instance and your teammates be NPCs acting as other players in the group.

Have 1 as a raid and the other one as an alert.

However the problem with creating these types of things is people actually using them is little to none. Kind of like how many people hate the opening tutorial.
  4. iClip Committed Player

I just want them to make a training room for all support roles. So for tanks, you have a NPC that you have to keep aggro off of...healers and trolls would work that way in there perspective roles. But heres the developers logic...."Its been 5 years since this game has launched, and its already launched on 3 platforms, why make a tutorial just now?"
    • Like x 2
  5. SixSigma Well-Known Player

The original concept I had was more like a "Danger Room" like instance that would be qued from the "On Duty" menu as a Solo Instance.

Actually DEVS... you guys already have a training room set up for learning how to use legends characters. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to incorporate bot NPC partners (even Legends Characters) to provide support too as we go through an mission.

THIS SHOULD BE A THING ALREADY GUYS!!!
    • Like x 1
  6. Harlequin Devoted Player

They added healer and tank sparring targets to WoW when Warlords dropped. There's nothing quite as funny as accidentally smacking the tanking dummy as a dps and getting one-shot. They really are not that useful.

However, the idea of a training instance is a great one. Please check out the WoW Proving Grounds vids on You-Tube. If something like those could be brought here, I believe they could do a lot of good.
    • Like x 1
  7. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

+1 we need this.
    • Like x 1
  8. Mightyhon Well-Known Player

I would also like to have a level editor to make my own little maps
  9. Lara Kelly Well-Known Player

When I used to play this game I actually used the Themyscira Command Post [Villain side]
    as my healer training dummies....

as you notice there are 2 nps that keep sparring with each other and damaging each other, I can actually heal them....so I test some healing with them... I believe even nature's Harvest works here - the healing effects...I don't quite remeber......But I know can't do heals that need to be within a group, like nature's swarm shield or regeneration but otherwise quite cool "healing dummies" since they keep damage each other and thus need heals constantly. so good for some healing test just not all.

I guess if you add a way to group with them then they would make an easy healing test dummy. Just remake them with capability to group with?

Another place I used to do is Gotham Under Siege where I let amazon there damage me [my cr was high enough that they won't completely kill me] and I try to self heal myself, not really dummies but also quite a good place to test healing. and of course heals that need a group works with myself. so that solved that group heal problem. and has enemies etc so more can be tested.

Yeah I like Amazon's lol :)
    • Like x 2
  10. Control Creed Well-Known Player

11. iClip Committed Player

But again its been 5 years since the game launched, why would the devs waste time developing something that only 10-15% of the existing population would use?
    I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that it should be here, I think its a great idea for having a tutorial system for roles in the game. I'm just presenting the same type argument that the devs would give you if they responded to this thread.
  12. SixSigma Well-Known Player

Totally understand and constructive criticism is needed.

The idea is to continue to build the game for new players and veterans alike. Currently there are players who are willing to trial by fire themselves into support roles but a majority get turned off to it since there's no way to know if you're doing it well until other players say something about it (and usually it's not constructive comments).

Players need a "safe place" outside of league/friend runs to learn/improve playing a support role. Also, it shouldn't be thought of as a "tutorial system". That implies there will be pop-ups of some sort guiding you through your support role, I think it should be more a "training system" where each player could go in and practice once they've dipped their toes into it.

It could even be something like Oan Science Cell where you can either form up a group or choose Legends Characters to provide support to, choose the training program based on your role and que it up.

What would make it more desired would be to add a feat points to it. Healing goals, Power Out goals, Damage In before being knocked out goals, etc...
  13. SixSigma Well-Known Player

It won't let me edit my above post.. but in addition a parsing log based on your role would also be displayed at the end of the instance. I still think a training dummy would be better for looking at a parsing log since I believe most players would really use it after they've already learned how to use their power, much like DPSing.
  14. iClip Committed Player

Your making sense and thinking logically, you can't be doing that in this game or on the forums. :D
    I agree, please don't misunderstand me, I think a system like this should be in place and it should have been done years ago but being the realist in all of this, it won't happen because of the age of the game, the guides section on the forums and a few other things.
  15. SixSigma Well-Known Player

Oh I totally get you, I just have hope that it "could" happen is all.
  16. tukuan Devoted Player

Not a bad idea as I'm all for any tools to help players become better at their role. That said I think that the hands down first step needs to be a more comprehensive guide ideally in-game but if not then on the site.

Beyond the user guides, which while appreciated, often reflect the writing style and personal preferences of the author. Instead a common look and feel approach to describing a power, it's AM and how they apply both for dps and well as the support role.
  17. iClip Committed Player

Being brutally honest here:
    Hope in one hand, spit in the other and see which one fills up first.;)
  18. Black Dawn Steadfast Player

I will support this idea every time it comes up.
  19. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I like the idea. Gives the Troll a better idea of just how effective their Power push, POT and anything else that enhances the power level of a team their join will be. Love to see it also give a good idea of how effective the buffs and debuffs they have available are

With a healer same thing.. How well are those HOT and insta heals working and with BOTH Trolls and healers just how much damage is that SHIELD stopping damage.

Not sure how it could be adapted to help a tank test agro????

What we have now, BIG SURPRISE, only benefits the DPS giving them some idea of what the can expect out of a power attack. The support roles are just supposed to Guess??????