DCUO's New Logo

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by BuzzWerd, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karmapolice Well-Known Player

I like it. It's simple but in a good way.
    I'm really glad it doesn't use the peeled sticker logo. I've never liked that. And then someone told me that it looks like a toilet seat, and now that's all I see when I look at it. :eek:
  2. Valsmurf Loyal Player

gotta agree with you Mouse. It's nice to have gotten an early look at the logo, but even if we don't like it's not gonna change.. is it?

I think it's an ok logo, but it certainly does not make me feel very superheroic or even related to DC. Feels very generic and it makes me sad to see yet another example of DC/WB limiting this game's potential.

As you well note, Marvel Heroes not only has the Marvel logo all over the place, the devs at Gazillion have totall access to any character and any story in Marvel history, which is alot. DC also has a lot of stuff, great stuff, but sony has what feels like an extremely limited access to all that.

For the new Thor movie coming out in a few days, the marvel game is bringing out a new Asgard playable area and a Beta Ray bill costume, that's cross-promotion.

When the superman movie came out in May, someone asked jens if that would mean more visibiity for the game and he said " No, that battle is not ours. it will likely mean a Superman blackout for us" (give or take a word that as his tweet) That's not DC/WB showing support for the game, no way you can spin it and say that it was beneficial to the game to have 0 ties to the current movies, comics or animated series in any way ever.

As great and creative as Jens is, he has only his imagination to work off of, when the amount of potential sources for stories is staggering. I'm sure there is a large number of players and potential players who would love to relive, even if only once in a while, an iconic DC event instead of makeshift/piecemeal sotries like Hand of Fate ( i liked the HoF stories, not knocking them but honestly, they don't compare to Flashpoint paradox, Infinite Crisis, the Killing Joke, the Death of Superman or even events from the JLU animated series that had awesome stories as well).

I loved the smallville instance, but wouldn't reliving or participating in the Death of Superman would have been a better use of Doomsday?

Since our opinion was asked, mine is that it's fine considering the limited support from DC, but it feels way less iconic/epic/superheroic than it could.
  3. Mini Lini Loyal Player

Eh... It doesn't look much like a logo. More like a banner on a website..Not even a very good banner.....Looks like something I would do, which isn't that great if it looks generic like something any person with no knowledge on graphical design could make. Not that it's that important, it's just got that "amateur" look to it.
    • Like x 1
  4. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Every time I watched that, my mind would tick over with ideas for raids in game. So much potential in both Justice League cartoons for DLC storylines and content.
  5. Magician Dedicated Player

Here's a little logo I developed tonight for DCUO

[IMG]
  6. BumblingB I got better.

No offense, but the DC part looks like the clothing brand logo. :X
  7. Magician Dedicated Player

B, no one said it was "perfect" however I do appreciate your feedback. As far as a clothing line look <shrug> it's a concept design. Hopefully to steer the art team into a more "creative" direction.
  8. Nightcrawler Legionnaire

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I like the new look just wondered why the new DC logo wasn't a part of it. Is DC DC Comics redundant or what? Especially when you realize that DC stands for Detective Comics.

(And thanks for excusing my quick paste up job, guys. :))
  9. The Sullster New Player

kinda reminds me of the font for the sonic the hedgehog games...
  10. SuperiorMouse New Player

I read this and died a little inside. This is basically a worst case scenario of branding -- it's almost unheard of that a style guide doesn't give some text free variant of their logo for partners and licensees to use. Is the current logo set in stone then? Or are you hoping for some inspiration from forum members?
    • Like x 1
  11. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

Personally did not like. I found it very simple. The former had a much more attractive. This simplicity that this one discourages.:(
  12. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Side-by-side view (bright and modern to dark and boring):

[IMG] [IMG]
  13. Ilunis Dedicated Player

Care to provide an example of what you would present? I am genuinely interested and actually not trolling you. You have piqued my curiosity.
  14. Superskull85 Devoted Player

If I had better skills as a graphic artist I could. :p While I can't make the art well myself I know what can attract an consumers eye and what can't. Regular text usually doesn't attack much attention on its own. I have described what I would like to see in my previous posts though.
  15. Blight KOBRA Commander

Honestly it's not very impressive.
  16. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

oh well, the minimalist logo thing is almost everywhere nowadays.
  17. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

Well, I've been designing logos and banding companies for 25 years. I think the update is spot on. It's in keeping with the new DC Comics look. It manages to take the weak typography (DC Comics) available and turn it into a more powerful presence. They feel like the same family of products, which is critical. However, DC Universe logo now stands out visually on its own merits, despite the weak typography change the designer was forced incorporate. Like any change it will take some getting use to, but I think as with the previous DC Comics/ DC Universe Logo combination they work well together. It's fresh, shiny and a big change from the the old.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  18. ItsRem Well-Known Player

Since there's a few trying to mess around with the idea, me too!

[IMG]
    But back to the topic, there's nothing wrong with a simplistic look... Do I think it'll stick out as a sole reason for a player to try the game? Not entirely. But at the same point, some people could look at it and question what the game is about, thus bringing in new players, which is their intent in the first place.
    • Like x 1
  19. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

No. You've bastardized the DC Comics logo. In addition, the logo/mark portion is too weak to visually carry the readability of DC. That's why the typography includes the full text of the brand underneath... DC Comics.
  20. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

No. this looks amateurish and is not in keeping with the DC Comics brand. Leave it to the professionals.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.