DCUO really needs a better reporting system

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DCUO Addict, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCUO Addict Committed Player

For at least the third time this month, a character shouting in the watchtower was blatantly breaking community standards right before the game shutdown. Today, this person started a little too soon, so I and a number of other players were able to report them. (I'm guessing others reported, since the shouts were followed by a string of people saying 'reported' or 'reported and ignored'.)

The reason I haven't been able to report the others is that I didn't have time to screengrab their name before the game shut down, so I couldn't put in a ticket on the website. It's the same reason that people don't report the gold sellers all the time. People don't want to leave the game to go to the website to submit a ticket, especially when the name of the character being reported is a random string of letters and numbers.

I've never moderated a game or forum, so I don't know how difficult it is to implement a good reporting system. Is there a reason that /report isn't sufficient? If there needs to be a second step, can that be implemented as something done in-game (e.g., sending the info in the mail)? If the point of having a convoluted reporting process is to reduce the number of people reporting, is that really the right approach?
    • Like x 4
  2. Malachyte Devoted Player

Is reporting someone really a concern for you when playing a game ?
    • Like x 3
  3. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

We know man, it sucks, but life is about picking and choosing your battles.

By the time you report them, you could've ignored them and Queued another instance
    • Like x 2
  4. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Hey, if that works for you, that's awesome! A toxic community does affect my enjoyment of the game, so I'd like a way a better way to report.
    • Like x 8
  5. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Try the ignore button. It works.
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I agree with you. We also need ingame GMs.
    • Like x 3
  7. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Yep, it does what it's designed to do. The report function doesn't actually report people. If report worked like ignore, that'd be fine with me. Alternatively, if ignore was account-wide, that would also be helpful.
    • Like x 1
  8. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

The only policing I have ever enjoyed in the game is when we had GMs. I was around when they were removed and players were getting banned for almost nothing. A buddy was reported by someone that took offense to being called gay. Just gay, not a bad word, just gay. He was banned for a week for this. Plus, people can doctor pictures, etc.

Your a player. Stop thinking you need to police anything. Mind your own business and play the game. If a chat is bother you. Go to your options and close the chat. If you utilize your ignore and chat options. Only ones you should see, are the ones you want. LFG, or global chat is gonna have clowns. That's just immature people that need attention. Having them banned has no affect on your game play. Your making it your business, so then your able to justify saying it bothers your game play.

Please play the game and stop trying to get people banned and grow up.
    • Like x 4
  9. Malachyte Devoted Player

I just put them on ignore and move on and enjoy doing what I need to do...people like that aren't worth my time or energy...
    • Like x 3
  10. DCUO Addict Committed Player

So it's unreasonable for me to want community standards enforced, but it's reasonable for you to tell others to grow up and act exactly how you want them to? I disagree with that perspective. If someone is shouting racist things, I don't want to play with them. I can ignore them on that one character, but that ignore isn't account-wide. You had a friend that got banned for a week years ago, so no one should be banned ever? How does that make sense?
    • Like x 2
  11. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

No, not at all. It's just not up to you. Your complaints should be towards game break for removing the GMs.

And no, that's not what I said about my buddy being banned if you read, I said it should never be in the players hands to report players. That's what GMs are for.

And yes, it makes total sense to tell someone that hunts people down ingame and posts threads to find out better ways of getting players banned to stop and grow up.

Look at how much time and energy you've put into complaining and trying to get players banned.

Sorry, but IMO, players should not, and really can not police themselves. Your standards and mine or someone else's are all different. While this is a super hero game. It is rated T for Teens. So yes my original statement I will stand by. Grow up.
    • Like x 1
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

it surprises me that in game moderation seems to be more of a luxury than necessity. i've worked in offices and studios where everyone would have to pitch in and take turns handling the front desk while reception gets their lunch break. even the justice league assigns monitor duty...

that said i agree with the whole "ignore and move on" advice being offered up here.

you're not going to be playing with people that spam racist messages in lfg, shout, trade or any other channel in game. they arent here to play the game. theyre here to waste time, yours and mine and theyre only here until whatever kick it is they get out of it wears off. the less attention you give to these people the faster theyll be logging off forever.

personally i don't like it myself but i also live by a "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" credo. ain't none of us innocent.
    • Like x 2
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Lol. First off, the type of messages the OP is talking about go way beyond a T for Teens rating.

Second, players have every right to report offensive speech that breaks the ToS, just the same as they would report people breaking game rules by using a bot, or glitching or speed hacking.

Your post smacks of trying to defend people who are jerks.

Grow up.
    • Like x 2
  14. Shark Dental Devoted Player

The OP isn't asking for the ability to auto-ban people by just typing /report.

He's asking for reasonable things: /report would be enough, with no need to travel to an online page and submit added details. One step, that's it. He wants account-wide ignore, also important.

Some people might think that he's not the one being a little baby, lol.

Having offensive people shouting racial slurs, derogatory sexual harrassment and the like banned does the game a favor for everyone. We're here to play a video game, not suffer bullying and demeaning attacks. Would you be the guy at work telling a woman just to "suck it up" if co-workers patted her on the butt or made offensive remarks?

Wouldn't surprise me, to be honest...
    • Like x 2
  15. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

Almost.....whilst I agree with your sentiment, you are unlikely to illicit a productive discussion when you respond like that.
    • Like x 1
  16. Shark Dental Devoted Player

*elicit

Sometimes it's important to be firm, lol. But thanks for the reminder.
    • Like x 2
  17. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Only reason that the report system isn't easier to function is because the easier it's made, the more reporting over insignificant stuff that would just swamp customer support and waste their time. Players would report others just to get back at them or accuse them of being a hacker cause they got out dpsed or something like that. If there were GMs it wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I imagine daybreak doesn't want to waste and already dwindled customer supports time and money on petty issues.
    • Like x 3
  18. DCUO SmackThem Well-Known Player

It’s great to want the best for the community, but you’re pretty much wasting your own time trying to ban players that violate the community rules. I’m sure at least 75% of DCUO is involved in that mess so are you going to report everybody that curses, spews racism, etc? That’s a **** load of people right there. Did you also know that it takes 2 suspensions before players actually start getting banned? So not only are you wasting your time trying to get toxic players off the game, they still have 2 chances of coming back. Like others have said, the ignore function is there for a reason. Use it. Nobody is saying you’re a snitch, party pooper all that and what not, they’re just saying you’re wasting your own time trying to report these players taking away from your OWN gameplay. That’s nobody’s fault that you’re policing the game.
    • Like x 1
  19. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Oh I understand. You responded to the wrong person I'm not advocating for player GMs. I just want a better reporting system and/or account-wide ignore. I'm not creating any of my own standards. Daybreak has established Community Standards.
  20. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I suppose, it's just cos its Black Prime OG, I think he deserves more credit than you gave him. I don't agree with his stance (on this or many other things) since he is more of a git gud or get over it type of guy anyways. But I wouldn't conflate that with being a full blown jerk.

....also people who point out my mistakes will be shot. You have been warned.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.