DCUO Classic Server

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Arqueiro Robusto, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

Now that the DLC is launched. I would like to start a discussion about a possible DCUO classic server. Many of us would like a classic version of the game without AMs and WM. Is this possible to provide?
    • Like x 1
  2. Trexlight Devoted Player

Nope
    • Like x 1
  3. thirty six Loyal Player

AM is gone, and you can always just NOT spec in to WM.

I know what you're saying, but dude. No way. They would basically have to create a whole different version of the game, probably hire someone just to dig up old code and files. You're talking about a game that has never really thrived and relies only on lifers coughing up most of their paychecks, retirement, social security checks, just to stay afloat. Then, they'd have to hope that a sizeable portion of those people will love the idea, and what? Play both? Not gonna happen. Great dream, though.
  4. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

Point is I would like a revision of the game pre-WM/pre-AM. Classic versions of games have shown to be successful. Lol
  5. thirty six Loyal Player

Again, I get your point. Those were my glory days as well. I'm a clipping, hard light ram whippin son of a biscuit. But, I'm also a realist, and aware of business, and how that works. Reboots have worked for games like Spyro, Crash, FF7... But these are monumental games with tons of money and financial backing. Ask 10 people you come across today if they've heard of dcuo, and let me know how that goes. Again, this game is barely surviving by being highly predatorial? It's not in any state to be spending millions on something that probably won't work.
  6. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

It doesn't cost millions like you think. Digging out source code is simple as checking out the revision before these changes were made. That is IF they are using a proper repository or version control system. Given they are a gaming company, I would say they are.
  7. thirty six Loyal Player

OK, well let's all click our heals together and continue to hope.
  8. myandria Item Storage

Hmm..

I humbly disagree; this game doesn't have the resources, time or enough content at this point in time to have a *classic* version. Not many MMO's have classic versions of their current games. I've highlighted MMO because it truly depends upon the TYPE of games you are talking about that have successful classic versions. If you are talking about console/arcade games, then for the MOST part you are correct. DCUO is mainly a PC MMO with console ports, and PC MMO's have different challenges to deal with when offering classic versions than console/arcade games do.

Classic versions of a game also come with the classic headaches, glitches and hangups, too. For example, when Everquest started offering servers with the classic game on it, the devs had to make sure that the classic version still plays like the updated version; for example, keeping the *master loot* system in place instead of going back to the *ninja kill/steal* classic era that Everquest was known for.

Consider this as well; how would the devs entice players to play the classic version of this game when many players either skip through or avoid the lower level content to get to the end game content? Never mind not having WM/AM; you would not have event versions of any content, no artifacts/augments, the old crafting system would be back in place and you would lose a few power sets as well. I do not think that would attract enough players to consider offering it, even if it were offered on a separate server.
    • Like x 1