DCUO and pets.....

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Mista E, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 478874 Dedicated Player

On top of that, it's been proven by the constant tweaking of the pets that DCUO simply does not have the depth of pet systems in the game to make them worthwhile in PvP. As a result, finding balance with pets has been extremely difficult since launch.

And as for the comment about facing pets wielding classes in MMOs, been doing since Tamers and Bards could command end-game dragons in Ultima Online. I am more than accustom to dealing with these sort of classes and the same can be said for this game. That doesn't mean the pets aren't wack and shouldn't be part of PvP as a whole.
  2. Drathmor Unwavering Player

if by never see them you mean 3 battles in a row. then yea i hardly ever see them. *sarcasim laid on thick* I was hit with 7 healer 1v1s in a row yester day and every single one started very similar. call in watcher/swarm (depending on sorc or nature) call in jack of some sort. then 3 hench men then super charge ( Grand summoning or Gorrilla) and then they start attacking. in one of them I was killed 3 times before the guys gorrila even wore off due to all the pets on me. I'll admit its a new toon so not the best gear but all 7 of them were in full checkmate so i could barly hurt them before there pets ate me.. only time i beat one was i switched to troll during cut sceen beat him one round barly and he left match. figures
  3. Mista E New Player

And when people pointed out the differences in coh and dcuo you decided to not talk about it,

Pets in dcuo are unbalanced and take skill away from gameplay.

Pets in coh were balanced, took skill to even use, and required strategy.

Big difference
  4. 478874 Dedicated Player

Exactly, the best thing going for this game is the combat system, which could be harnessed by the skill of the player. Now, with all these trinkets pets from the various avenues of the game, that combat system has been entirely marginalized. If I wanted to command a monstrosity, stay back and use load outs, I'd just roll Warlock in WoW.
    • Like x 1
  5. Faust74 Loyal Player

I wouldn't doubt you'll see them more in 1v1. But, you'll hardly see that in Arena group battle, because a Sorcery Healer is going to use theIr Super Charge for something that's more beneficial to the Team.

But, I'll still argue that the Watch and Grand Summoning isn't hard to stand against. But, then again I guess it just depends what roll you are in. On my Controller, I'll take down those Healers not matter what tricks the pull. Sorcery Healers are more difficulty and the key is to out last them and keep them debuffed.

So all the small pets are just a distraction to me, they definitely ain't no killers. My Flying Jester is with me all the time, because I think he looks cool. I don't even have a problem with Sidekickes/Accomplices, I can deal with them easily also. It's the Henchmen/Back-Ups I have problem with. It causes too much clutter in Arenas and with DCUO's poor targeting system makes it even more of pain to lock on any Player opponent.
  6. JMBOO New Player

Pets in PvP are here to stay and only going to get worse.

I remember reading the quote from Mepps about playing Legends if you want skill based PvP. Did not agree with that sentiment at all. If this is the company line, then they need to add Marks of Strategy to Legends unless they make some"Hardcore" or "Barebones" Arenas.

@ Mister E- If you want to take away the watcher from Sorcery, what would you replace it with that is both comperable and functional?

And does anyone else remember the producer letter from before The Last Laugh that said PvP was going to be based around skill?

Still waiting for that part of the update.
  7. Web Well-Known Player

Are you that eager to read a totally off topic post on why i think masterminds were good for pvp in CoH?
    I agree with you that pets shouldn't be allowed in arenas for every reason presented in this thread, isn't that your overall point?
  8. YodaDog New Player

Ideally, Id like to see all the PvE trinkets and nonsense excluded from Arenas..
    But, perhaps more realistically, if they'd just take out the belts.. that would clean up alot of this non-sense... There would still be lots of pets and PvE garbage flying around... But it wouldnt be nearly as annoying and prevalent, IMO..

Easy fix, make it happen devs. How long can they ignore this problem??!
    • Like x 3
  9. 478874 Dedicated Player

Not to digress for a moment, but let me tell you how wack legends are and what it's become. The legends characters, more or less, all have multiple, spammable AoE loadouts. Additionally, the legends toughness/health has become increasingly lower. As a result, legends are all strong and vulnerable, making it seemed somewhat balance but these changes have basically stripped all skill from the legends game.

I conducted some tests over the weekend with several leaguemates of mine in legends. We fought multiple matches where the opposing teams landed less than 3 successful combos the whole match and were almost entirely held without immunites. Still they managed to register kills because of the spammable, hard hitting AoE attacks. In other words, players don't even need to have some proficiency with the combat system to be more than half ways effective in Legends arenas. It's a joke and an insult to players who have taken the time to learn the game, the way the game to presents itself starting from the very first encounter on the brianiac ship.
    • Like x 2
  10. Mista E New Player

I would give sorc a single target bust heal, just like bio electric surge, or a hot like metabolism
    • Like x 1
  11. Woodler New Player

One of the biggest issues with pets is simply lag, this week the devs talked about cutting back on fire and ice animations in order to cut back on latency issues.

Pets are a big big culprit of lag, even in legends (its just that in legends they die much faster)
    • Like x 1
  12. Kaleb57 Well-Known Player

I liek petz in PVP, Tankz tank moar pleez
  13. ZeroFive New Player

Gotta chime in here. Not much for complaining on the forums. Played DCUO both PC and PS3, starting in Jan 2011. This shift towards screen clutter and Pokeman like pet spam is by far the worst change I can remember. The PVP repercussions alone are worth a second look.

Just lengthening cool down timer's isn't going to cut it either.
  14. Chungweishan New Player

Honestly, I just can't figure out if Devs know that systems would lag with too many things onscreen at once or super-graphic effects, they go about and add more pets and distracting graphics. Why?!

Personally, I hate all pets in this game. They always mess with the targeting, they always add too much clutter so I have to reposition the camera to make sure I'm not getting countered. They act as a crutch to players whereas other games some pets are the source of your attacks/defense.

Pets are making more players soloists. Which I would hope SOE/Devs wanted the opposite, more players relying on each other. Therefore inviting more friends to play the game. The only good thing is more people are playing Healers so they can lay waste in lairs, which hopefully I'll team up with them in PvE Raids.

I do use Eerie Jack, or at least have it in my loadout. I could care less if Eerie Jack showed up, I just want the Precision bonus.
  15. Faust74 Loyal Player

I LIKE this idea. I would assume it wouldn't be that difficult of a technical feat either.

It sounds like a very good compromise. Those that like pets can still have them, just not as many of them at one time. Those that hate pets will mostly likely see a lot less of them. You have to admit, the Pet Trinkets population exploded when the utility belts came out.
  16. Yallander Loyal Player

Sad thing is during the testing players like myself brought up many of these concerns and they were met with "we don't agree and think if you try them you'll find it fun." Fun for who? The T4 PVPer who has nothing left to do but grief gearing players with a full team of adds? When I queue for PVP I expect to fight other players, not NPCs. If I wanted to fight more NPC UI then I'd run an alert...speaking of which I need to pay rent on my utility belt--anyone want to run FOS? :p
    • Like x 1
  17. Echephyle New Player

The pet i hate the most is backup and henchmen. Totally clutters the screen and i can no longer target the player as the henchmen are in the way. It's just cheap imo
    • Like x 1
  18. MetaMax75 Devoted Player

I just wish they had given me an Ice Bear. Snow Devil is meh. I ride and die with my stommies. I will say I was down on pets before I got henchmen. This was largely due to how lame snow devil was (it actual did nothing but act as a target before the update). But now that I have my stommies (from the Greek meaning stone hommies) I don't like to leave my lair w/o them.
  19. PlatypusMessiah New Player

I definitely am on the side of limiting pets in PvP. I don't see thm going away any time soon. So if they are here to stay, I wouldn't mind the following changes to all trinket related pets

1. They need less health in PvP. I don't mind chopping down a watcher, but sidekicks and goons just are way too long to ack through.
    2. Reduce their control resistance significantly. Maybe we can even have Dom be a useful PvP stat. I'd love to see tanks pull them and take their agro and trollers stun them until the end of time. The healers can keep healing them as their interaction with the pets.
  20. Evie Syrena New Player

(Or maybe limit pets to just the pets from powers? Like, the watcher, turrets, Brick, etc.)
    • Like x 2