DC Didn't Kill The Game

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by UnleashedBrevard, Mar 7, 2018.

1. UnleashedBrevard Committed Player

While everyone think DC killed the game , well I am here to tell you that you are 100% wrong.

Dc has been out since 2011 it's a MMO it's idea is intended to keep you playing and addicted to it either by giving you the tools to have a kick az character to a sweet base to an amazing league or bomb content which all exist.

You ask day in day out give us more content give us more skill points change this change that and what happens oh they do it and have done it.

It's now 2018 30 DLC or Episodes later an average of 4.2 a year hmm that's actually more than players are getting and have got from WOW since it launched in 2004 who has only 5 released DLC's in 14 years.

What has caused the game itself to lose population has nothing to what Daybreak has done or not done it's the simple fact it cost $14.99 a month to play ( not required but playstation + cost $9.99 or $59.99 a year )
    and many of us been playing since 2011.

We have just moved on to a new games over the years I've wasted
    an easy $300 on playstation plus and many other titles many of us never got to play them or put that dent in them that yield satisfaction of the cost invested into buying them.

I myself own ever single copy of COD put on the playstation 4 and barely have 40hrs total within all games.

We won't even talk about the actual DC hours only mepps can actually provide that true number but it's somewhere in around 40 thousand hours.

Hmm dc is dying but I've put about 2,000 hours on ARK Survival , Around 500 hours on Zero Dawn Horizon
    finishing the game on to the DLC packs. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 completed. Fortnite still grinding on it pvp to pve
    while it's a 50/50 love hate majority of us are just taking a massive break DC is repetitive you run the content you collect all the gear and bam new dlc time to start over never leaving time to enjoy the gear earned left to start over grinding again while other games just don't feel that way.

So again if you think the game is dying take look at that friends list on PSN bet 50% are playing Fortnite and the other 45% are playing Monster Hunter and the rest are playing GTA or some other title
    • Like x 3
  2. Dene Devoted Player

I agree 100%

The game is about 8 years old now & to be honest, I have never really seen it as being glorified like other MMOs have - even in the early days.

But the forums will not believe you.. they will give you "reasons" . The thing is if the "reasons" they give you were fixed.. they would just go to another group of "reasons" - some (not all - i know) people who complain about the game are just due for a break from it but instead they blame the game and throw toxic words everywhere

TCs are a great example of this.. if TCs were gone soon, the population & game would not suddenly swell in population or suddenly be inundated with new players . The content wouldn't suddenly be more appealing to those that are bored with the game etc etc, but the way some talk, it is the sole reason the game is a mess

Some will point to PVP. PVP being fixed will not suddenly make PVEers happier in the game now or solve other unhappinesses people have

Every game has issues, including this one, I just do not think the issues are the reason for people not playing anymore, or at least not as much as people want to think
    • Like x 4
  3. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Wow...did I say wow?

I meat to say wow.

Reminds me of Blazing Saddles.

"Howard Johnson is right...not only was this fine gibberish...", "What have we come to".

To be fair, your last sentence is correct though.

You left off Neverwinter from the list and failed to mention that the half used to be daily players on DC.

They now invest their money elsewhere like a ton on Neverwinter or season passes on the other games mentioned that have them.

The game took a turn to them and they no longer find DC attractive.

Where you find the $14.99 to be unattractive others see that as a sweet deal, they just find the content lacking.

That would be Daybreak problem, there really is a disagreement on that point because all the content is basically the same as the last with re-hash of the same objective tank and spank, with re-used maps with the same basic layouts. I add to those friends.

I also agree that DC is not necessarily dying, I do see that it has declined a lot though and will be a good game again,...just not right now.

While so many still enjoy the game, most are alts if you let some tell it, I happen to believe that many just haven't had the same experience as those who have begun to advance their characters.

The game is different for beginners and the antisocial than those who are outspoken and not shy. (antisocial implying they do not know how to use the chat channel or are afraid to be mocked for using LFG or they are shy).
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I'll agree with the tank-and-spank... when the content is nothing but that over and over again it does get boring. What makes it challenging is the addition of mechanics, survival tricks, and stuff like that. Present a challenge on completing the missions... and apply some of those challenges to the regular versions as well as the elite ones, though obviously to a lesser degree. What might be a one-shot to anyone in the elite version should not one-shot a tank at or near full health... but should make anyone else think twice about moving in too closely or at least take a few seconds' break from DPSing ("block on skull").

As to reused maps, it's not really all that different if you follow multiple comic books... or TV shows... "maps" get reused all the time. When you have things take place in Smallville, KS, for example, there are only so many places you can go. Same thing with Gotham City... or Metropolis... though I can say I'm hoping there is a big expansion of Central City coming soon. It would also be nice to add another major city after they get a chance to expand CC.

That falls partly on the end-game level players. LFG is full of people looking for Panopticon, Escape, Gotham City Zoo... and Ultimate Soldier and Justice for All to a lesser degree (mostly for elite feats, though also for regular runs). How many people are looking for older content in there? Not many... only those who want to do catalyst runs. Most people at lower levels just queue up randomly because LFG is either intimidating or it's something they just don't know about.
  5. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

Food for thought:

A broken watch is right at least twice a day.

Thanks
    • Like x 1
  6. nawanda Loyal Player

I don't care what justification for them people come up with, Time Capsules might have made more money but they have cost this game an awful lot of long term players. The money from stabilizers might even exceed the money lost from subs, for all I know, but that makes the game less attractive to play for those of us who are left.

There is not a single player who asked for feats in Time Capsules to be a thing. Not one. Ever.
    • Like x 1
  7. AllanPage Committed Player

I would say it is a combination of both. The age of the game and all the mistakes done by the game. I have no doubt in my mind that dcuo would have more subscriptions if things were done right, but for whatever reasons they were not done right despite the community not wanting them. This made lot of players quit the game.

Let me list out a few reasons because of which I have seen players leave, since 2011 I started playing. Some of them could have easily been avoided. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

There was a big PSN hack before the f2p launch and merge , but I won't consider that because when I started playing in 2011 there were still tons of players all around, just on the PC, imagine the population on Playstation.

1. Checkmate gear in 2012 + pvp replays = lot of the f2p crowd from 2011 crowd dropped.
    2. I think the golden age of PvP was 2012 - 2013. Players were pvping like no tomorrow, everyone was queuing arenas, pvp leagues were popping left and right. Tier 4 was introduced to us with raids like Gates and PB. Replays caused lot of players to quit because they got bored, but this was their own fault.
    3. Open world was "lit" at all times. But this did not last very long, They introduced Home Turf. Which made players use trinkets and supply drops in arenas and open world. Few people liked this, most of the community did not.
    4. 2013 / 2014 GU36 was introduced, weapon mastery made bad players hit ridiculously hard. The line that separated skill in PVP was now thin and so all the good PvP'ers left. 5v5s became more and more deserted. Hardlight was nerfed to the ground in the same update, I remember being pissed off because my main power Hardlight could not do combos smoothly as before, meanwhile getting destroyed in arenas by bad players using weapon mastery. This is the most I have seen players leave because no one I knew wanted this update to happen, most of the community was against weapon mastery and yet they still went ahead with the idea because some of the Senior devs (that I won't name) thought it was cool. Most of my pc friends and league mates quit during this time.
    5. AM was also introduced for some reason, again no one wanted it except scrubs and devs. This is where the good PvE people started leaving because they did not get to test their loadouts and have variety. Everyone was rolling with the same loadouts.
    6. 2015 / 2016 I can't remember which year but GU47 hit around this time, marks of triumph were gone, cr relevancy became a thing and time capsules started popping up. This was the last straw for me and I just quit for 3 years until I read about stats revamp and the removal of AM and WM.
    Aside from these issues, I also never see DCUO being mentioned on any gaming blog or mmo top ten lists. A lot of people don't even know this game exists!

To say DCUO team has not made any mistakes is a huge understatement imho, but they have also done good things and recently if you ignore the time capsules, I feel closer to the old dcuo I always loved atleast in PvE, PvP is dead. Its too late, people have already left and we are in need of more population and new players.
    • Like x 2
  8. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

This just isn't accurate in my opinion.

AM was developed after weapon mastery forced players to use weapon attack combos.

Many players complained, because they felt like this was supposed to be a game based on super powers, not weapons.

In response, the DEVs created AM, where players could use a powers only load out, and sustain damage equal to, if not above, weapon combos.

Now you can debate how poorly they developed AM, but your reasons for them doing so, are just not reflective of what the player base wanted, the ability to use a powers only based load out, and still be effective. It wasn't SCRUB players unable to play, it was competent players who wanted to reflect the spirit of their toon.

For example, there are many heroes who flat out refuse to use weapons, specifically in mind, batman and guns. Yet we were forced to use weapons and weapon mastery?

The option was developed, good or bad, and it soon replaced what was a dominate era of weapon based damage, in weapon mastery.
    • Like x 1
  9. Twilight-Man Well-Known Player

Yesterday I thought 'I feel like getting back into Final Fantasy 14'
    I checked the minimum subscription amount and saw it was $14.99, cool.

I also suddenly remembered I just spent $20.00 on a basic material pack of 3 to wear in-game for DCUO.

*sigh*
  10. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Actually AM was so that non combo powers could put out awesome damage like HL could at the time.

The argument at the time was that no other powers could do equal or above the damage that the combo powers could because of the mechanics of the combo powers. Spytle, mepps, and the dev's team all would say the combo powers both had an Awesome Mechanic and they would not buff the others because they lacked Awesome Mechanics.

Which meant that only 2 powers at the time could put out awesome damage the rest would never do awesome but they would do OK damage.
  11. StillDeathern Dedicated Player

regardless it wasnt because players sucked.
    • Like x 1
  12. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

That is true.
  13. mexmex Dedicated Player

There have been lots of bad calls from the devs. and it is difficult to single point one as the factor why people have left.

But from my point of view, the day they were more focus on bringing everyone to end content, so they can start replaying and stuff, everything went down the hill. with each new episodes the game felt less and less engaging, to accommodate all players skills. then the purpose of gearing and getting SP meant each time less and less.

The integrity of the game went kaput, died, and with it the interest of a lot more players. You can't make great games, without great players, and this game community has always been so demanding in the "i want it now, or I quit" and these mentality has hurt the game a lot since the devs realized that this folks were willing to buy their way to the top instead of playing a good game.

Honestly even the leveling missions at the beginning of the game in the open world are far more engaging than the new open world daily missions, or at least it feels exactly the same thing, and that shouldn't be the case.

Now they have open a part of the last episodes, so that could compelled more people to sub, and is fine, but believe me if what they show is not interesting at all, who will want to sub anyway. Doing a raid as the event is total boredom, that will thick off lots of new potential subs. Not sure if it worth devs resources in doing these options. Instead of creating single raids but with awesome mechanics in it. with more fun and larger than what they have developed in the last years.
    • Like x 2
  14. Dene Devoted Player

This part stood out to me... People wanted so much and they tried to please as many as possible.. those that had this attitude left anyway, even when DCUO gave them exactly what they wanted
    • Like x 3
  15. Knarlydude Loyal Player

It's hard to argue against what DCUO did with GU 47. Marks Relevancy and taking away thousands of marks from players killed the PC server.

Lets not forget that letting the inmates run the asylum in game does not bode well for most people. Just think how the ingame population might be if ingame was moderated like the forums are.

Would we have all the gold bots and public chats filled with vulgar racists comments like we do now?
  16. C3alix Committed Player

I'd say most of the stuff the devs have brought into this game is a reflection of what the community wanted.

Complained about the game not being hard enough? Here's Origin Crisis! *players complain and leave game*

Tired of raids only needing one tank? Here's Throne of the Dead! *players complain devs are "forcing" them to use their 2nd role*

Don't wanna wait an entire week to replay a raid? Here's replays! *this has ALWAYS been optional*

Want better use of your weapons? Here's weapon mastery! *players mad because they have to use their weapon more often, AFTER complaining about not using their weapon as much*

Game still not difficult enough for the serious players? Here is Survival Mode and Elite versions! *community divides itself into casuals and elites*
  17. Knarlydude Loyal Player

18. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

For the record, unless you have multiple characters, the minimum one can get away for playing FFXIV is 11.99 per month (one character per world deal) and that's offered on a consistent basis (both deals of course have "cheaper" versions if you sub up for multiple months at a higher initial cost similar to DCUO's deals... than again most games do that).

To stay on topic:

Any time anyone has said this game is dying it has been inaccurate. However, their is a difference between steep decline in population levels and having a healthy game (which leads most people to argue the game is dying).
  19. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Gabby Johnson spoke the authentic frontier gibberish, not Howard Johnson.
  20. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

In the very least (I know they won’t since it can’t be monetized) they could add one pvp tier set per dlc to keep the people who liked pvp playing the game.