Daybreak Winter Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mepps, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EconoKnight XIII Legion

It’s pretty smart marketing, really. They kept the time pressure element but are now scooping up everybody who got Christmas money or gets their paycheck tomorrow (end of month pay checks usually hitting last Friday of the month).

I give them credit. Their marketing sense has gotten a lot better.
    • Like x 4
  2. Brother Allen Loyal Player

I feel it is them being dishonest actually. It seems wrong to me to tell people something is limited in order to get them to spend money because the offer is going away and then go, "Nah screw it...just sell as many as we want.". I mean it is the same thing as them deciding tomorrow to go, "Remember how we told you OG Batman Legend and the original Booster Bundles were limited time items/offers? We've decided to do away with that and are gonna put them on the Marketplace again at an increased price."

It screams, "Please I love DCUO so give us your money. We are desperate.", along with Daybreak being shown in the gaming world that when it comes to "limited" items their word holds no merit.
    • Like x 2
  3. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

I feel like they were counting on ppl being suspicious after that lay off to be their shift in demand, rather than limiting the supply to 4000. Maybe they thought it wasn't selling as fast as they'd expect the first time around, so they can maximize the profits in the long run with this new strategy anyway?
  4. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Well, the offer is still going away.

And the people who wanted to purchase it, did. There were apparently a number of additional people requesting the ability to purchase it (haven't seen that here on DCUO, but perhaps in the other games there were a large amount of players requesting this), so this gives them the opportunity to do so.

I don't see the problem with that.

Things would be very different if they extended the offer for months on end, of course. But making it last throughout the entire sale just because the supply ran out doesn't seem dishonest. Many department stores do the same if they get a rush order in in time.

P.S. - I personally think lifetime is a terrible deal for a 7-8 year old game. Hope everyone gets their 12 years+ of DCUO.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Why are you complaining? o_O
    • Like x 4
  6. spack2k Steadfast Player

Well u seem to have yours on too for every other new MMO out there for derailing a lifetime subscription thread for dcuo, the bias is clear as well here so maybe slow down ur horses?!

Nice holidays :D
  7. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Already answered that one Dark.
    I agree Shark. The people who bought Lifetime deals might get 3 more years out of DCUO but it is doubtful in my eyes. The game is showing it's age with each and every passing year and Daybreak is clearly struggling to make ends meet to the point where they can't focus attention to any part of game play that does not bring revenue in. I have no doubt I'll be here until the end but with the decline the game has taken over the last few years I will be very surprised and impressed if "the end" is past 3 years from now.
    • Like x 1
  8. iNeoN Active Player

PM sent. Thanks for looking out for those affected.
  9. Kuno Loyal Player

I'm surprised they havent shared future plans for 2019 (yet) considering the lifetime offer. I'm not paying years worth of membership for a 8 years old game when we know nada about new stuff coming.
    • Like x 3
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Well we know there's at least 1 new episode coming. We'll probably get a letter from the game director after the holidays.
    • Like x 2
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is true.

But, how many MMOs last beyond 10 years? (Honest question. Are there a lot?)

People may not realize that they have to play for 30 months, from January 2019 to June 2021, JUST TO BREAK EVEN. This ignores the flexibility to stop subbing and start again, other promotional membership offers that may appear, etc.

However, it seems that this option has been popular, so even though I don't personally think it's worth it, I don't have a problem with Daybreak offering it. Players that purchased it may have:

1. Been looking for a way to support the game they love. Perhaps some believe that this is a way to keep the game from shutting down (ignoring how commerce and shareholders actually work in real life).

2. Recently joined the game and feel that they don't mind shelling out $300 for a one-time purchase.

3. Thought that they could care less about saving money and just want an easy way to the enjoy the game (think all-inclusive resort).

Edit: When asking my question about MMOs that last beyond 10 years, I'm referring to ones that continue to produce a steady stream of content, not ones in maintenance mode or barely alive.
  12. Drezzer New Player

This is a scam I bought the ps4 winter 12 month + bonus and didn't receive any of the bonuses and i have sent 2 support tickets in and I'm not getting any answers.
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Let me put this in an expanded format: Why are you complaining if it doesn't affect you? o_O
  14. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Send a PM to Mepps.
  15. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Because it is a public forum for DCUO and I am simply expressing my opinion on the matter.
    • Like x 3
  16. Hawk Active Player

Think positive, hopefully the cash injection means DCUO gets a longer lease on life. TBH I was quite skeptical going lifetime as well. And some friends I'm surprised didn't pick it up. But hopefully this injection encourages further development. The only other thing I would want to see is a breakdown of where the lifetime subs came from. It'd give a better indicator of where they're going to focus their efforts.
    • Like x 1
  17. Noble One Committed Player

micro-transactions...

this would only hurt them if they didnt have those things but they do and they make waaaaay more money off that then they do subs. i could say im blowing smoke but every time a new TC comes out, the money rolls in for them. every time a base comes out, BOOM money. anything that goes into the marketplace (as rare as it may be), again money. so in selling 4000 lifetime subs NOW theyve made $1,200,000 more or less.... and now theyve reopened that door until dec 31.

the money they make NOW will help them for the long run. lifetime subs only give them DLC which would be new areas, powers, weapons, etc. it doesnt give them the other special bling and thats what will help them. besides the fact that i would wager to put money on it that those 4000 new lifetime sub ON TOP OF older lifetime subs are even close to 20% of the whole player base. remember the 4k lifetime subs was a mix of ALL platforms.

now as long as daybreak doesnt screw themselves up i could see them lasting 3 years easily. for christ sake if champions online could limp along for almost a decade, then i think DCUO could do the same.
  18. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Offering the lifetime memberships will only help daybreak in the long run. What offering a lifetime membership does is get players to spend more money for the better deal whether they are really going to use it or not. This gets players that buy memberships a few months at a time and then quit to buy the lifetime because it is a better deal. On top of that. The money that these players would be spending on DCUO's monthly membership will more than likely be spent on DCUO via micro transactions. I would drop a dollar down that they (DCUO) start getting more micro transaction sales from the lifetime membership players. Also, If the players quit after a year or so DCUO wins there too because they bought the better deal and decided not to use it. ie........ they are getting people to spend two or three times as much as they would normally because there is more bang for their buck. The guy that quits after a year spent $300.00 instead of $120.00. :) Everybody wins. The players got better deals and DCUO made more money.
  19. Jack T. Chance Devoted Player

Awesome. Wish they would have added in the Bonus Items for maybe $50 more. That's going to keep me from going for the Lifetime, because I can afford $200 for the year + Bonuses, OR $300 for Lifetime, not both. :(
  20. Knarlydude Loyal Player

It is not a terrible deal at all.

If players buy month to month like I do & then adding up the expenses that I might accrue using my CC's & Visa cash card with every monthly transaction. I will start saving money on Lifetime membership at the 19 month mark. Now I can take my allotted DCUO game cash and spend it on other things within DCUO. :D win win

Besides, it's about dang time that DCUO started trying to bring in the largest player base in all of gaming.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.