Current State of DC Universe

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by TankIsLoveTankisLife, May 12, 2018.

1. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I'm not saying it's my mentality.

I'm telling you how corporations usually work. They are slaves to their shareholders and the fiscal quarters, meaning long term investments aren't all that common in their decisions. In other words, spending 1,000,000 to make 2,000,000 short term and 5,000,000 long term usually doesn't go over as well as something that makes 3,000,000 up front.

I want DCUO to make sound decisions that retain players just as much as you do, but two things usually get in the way, people not agreeing on what they actually want, and people failing to consider the company's profit margins.

Players always say, "if they did this, this and this, the game would be perfect." Then, when they actually do them, the response is often negative or less than enthusiastic. Same thing with the revamp. A good thing? Yes. Worth over a year of man hours? Harder to say. I wish it would've been better balanced, but I also don't want to wait 2 years for it to come out, lol.

Giving ideas is a good thing, however. I'm not trying to shoot them down. Just saying that it's important to be realistic.
    • Like x 1
  2. Comixfan Committed Player

One thing I never understood was weapon mastery.

If I create a character and decide I want them to be a staff wielder, and then get them to staff master level, I don't want them to suddenly pull a rifle out of their butt for a combo. They're a staff master, not a rifle master.

I don't even bother with the weapon masteries because they're nonsensical.

If devs really want characters to be proficient with more than one weapon, add a Weapon Mastery power set where each power utilises a different weapon.
    • Like x 3
  3. Comixfan Committed Player

Funnily enough, my aforementioned friend and I are back into playing ESO as well!

Granted it's not super-heroes, but I still have a Storm character who's a lightning sorcerer AND a vampire! ;)
    • Like x 1
  4. Proxystar #Perception

I log in each day to pass go and collect $200.
    • Like x 1
  5. SuperHarley Active Player

They waste too many resources with elite and survivor modes, you said there were few elite leagues in the game, so why do content for them? The game will be just fine if they quit, because the devs will be able to focus on content for all, cool styles and quick missions.
    • Like x 1
  6. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Not everyone is a fan of "quick burn right through" missions. That's why a lot of good friends of mine quit over the years. Content became too dumbed down.
    • Like x 4
  7. Zneeak Devoted Player

What a contradictory statement lol. What you're saying directly stops them from making content for all in favor of making content for only the casual crowd. Maybe you've missed just how low of a population we have left, I wouldn't want to see the population numbers further plummet because of crazy suggestions like this one.
    • Like x 1
  8. Hydraze Active Player

Super accurate and super respectful at the same time. I still love playing the game but I don't have the excitement anymore and everything I do feels like a chore. It's so sad whenever I get on and see the Watchtower virtually empty, and if anyone is talking it's because they're mad they lost in a duel. Things like new weapons, movements, and hair styles haven't been added in years. We haven't even gotten Grodd yet!

I think the game needs to focus on a more immersive play and retain a balance between paid content and free to play content.
    • Like x 3
  9. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Weapon Mastery set such a bad precedent for the game. It started the ball rolling to where we are now. I think the whole concept of weapon mastery as it currently exists needs to be taken out of the game. The wsy I see weaponry working is each weapon should also have a couple of powers and abilities connected to them or our powers (much in the same way movement mode has its own special attacks and abilities).

i hate that you have to spend a skill point into a weapon slot to be able to select it from a weapon box. granted you can put/waste a few spare skill points into any weapon tree you might be interested in using so you can select it as a drop but you'll still need to go back and fully respec into that weapon if you want to see if you can get it to work for you. The old weapon trees were better. You ended up with more options if you wanted to experiment around.

A years worth of work and testing with the intent of "balancing" the game kicked off with ridiculously op nature and electricity, the gorilla ball glitch and tanks as indestructible dps.

Job well done?
    • Like x 2
  10. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

The testers warned about the gorilla ball glitch (crappy did the moment he found it) and he did so privately to try to avoid the situation we got, it made it to live anyways.

As for nature and electric being op when released it was mostly an add thing versus single target and again it's because they didn't listen to all the suggestions that were given.

As far as the other powers being lack luster after revamp, their were fights in several of the power threads on how the power should be and if a group didn't have a direction the devs just went their own way (which kind of happened even when the folks had a direction).

I also never said it was a job well done, I do feel that the testing community however is not to blame for the revamp.
    • Like x 2
  11. Shapeshifter New Player

Most people today don't know how this game used to be like in 2011. It was such a beautiful game, this what is given to you today doesn't even reach halfway of what was given to us before. DCUO was worth to pay for, i don't regret not even a dollar that i've spent between years 2011 - 2014. The game felt like it had 100% potential, it was very original outside and inside and this has been ruined through all these changes that have turned up this game upside down into this what you're playing today. I come back few days ago just to see stats revamp, i could handle playing only by 1 week.The game look now like it had 0% potential. it feels like a cheap fake which looks just nice from outside because of all these cosmetics which are trying to hide the real issue and that inside this game is completely broken.

Even now if the game was taken by other company nothing would change. Damage like this caused by all these years can't be fixed with just few updates. Fixing all this stuff would require the same or even more time and money. It's just simply too late to safe DCUO before it will be closing its doors.
    • Like x 5
  12. Ringz Dedicated Player

Yall better listen to this gem ^
  13. TankIsLoveTankisLife Level 30

Yes! I keep thinking back on the years when i first starting playing and had so much dam fun and like you said i didn't even care about the money i spent, i WANTED to spend the money on it and support the game. I remember feeling so excited to play and there was so much to do in this big open world we like to explore in dc universe, it was also filled with players, all the time, even late at night. Ah the memories.
    • Like x 1
  14. TestReporter Loyal Player

The classic "All, except everything and everyone i don't like" :rolleyes:
  15. calvin_0 Dedicated Player

they should sell DCUO to Digital Extreme.. those guy at DE seems to do a pretty good job in balancing between money making and keeping the player base happy..
    • Like x 1
  16. SuperHarley Active Player

If they make content for the casuals the elite will play it too, when they make content for the elite the casuals can't play it, so they are wasting resources that should be for everyone, not for a minority of players that think they are too good.
    • Like x 1
  17. Zneeak Devoted Player

That "if" has already happened and the result have been a decline in population partly because of it. You don't make sense, how exactly are they wasting resources? You don't seem to realize how many players they would lose if they outright stopped making Elite-content. There needs to be content for everyone to keep everyone interested enough to stick around. It's pretty simple.

If you don't want to play elite-content personally, you don't have to. You already have 90% of the content catered to casuals anyway, worrying about that other 10% just screams of selfishness to my ears.
    • Like x 2
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

If they stopped making elite content I know a lot of heavy spenders that would stop playing.

Please stop advocating for the game to be further easy-mode.
    • Like x 1
  19. Kuno Loyal Player

I do agree we need something out of the box. The formula for weekly bounties, and kill 300 of this been going for so many episodes now.
    I'm sure the devs can come up with fresher ideas for daylies on open world content.
    • Like x 2
  20. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

FYI a good portion of this games whales actually belong to most of those "few elite leagues" (or at the very least leagues that consider themselves elite and do that content).

Given the fact that they let people come back after banning them on the xbox server, well let's just say I doubt your comment would ever happen because than the whales money would leave too.

Games like money.