Crystal Dynamics will sunset the Marvel Avengers game this year.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by myandria, Jan 28, 2023.

1. myandria Item Storage

Ok, it's time to talk about it.

Crystal Dynamics will no longer support (sunset) Marvel Avengers Sept 30th, 2023. Basically, no new content and no tech/account support. It will leave the major marketplaces and digital stores at that time as well. However, the game will still operate online and offline; any purchases of the game made after Sept. 30 will allow the customer to install and play the game.

Before then, however, the in game Marketplace will be shut down on March 31st, 2023; all of the cosmetics will be FREE after that date. There is a big issue with this, however, as an 80 dollar cosmetic bundle was offered a short while before news of the game sunsetting was released and many players purchased it.

Here are a couple of links to look at:
    https://gamerant.com/marvels-avengers-post-launch-support-ending-crystal-dynamics/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...lowing-shutdown-announcement/ar-AA16CvF4?rc=1

So, once again, Marvel dips another toe into the ongoing/live MMO game industry and loses that one, too. In my opinion, Marvel should stay away from the live MMO's and stick with it's franchise fighting games series.

What do you think?

If a game becomes sunset, would you still play it?
  2. Eve YouTuber

I'm not big on Marvel so never played this, but I would imagine the disappointment a lot of people who played this feel. I feel like Marvel hasn't had the best of luck with MMO's, or the interest to supprot one.

I don't believe it will happen tomorrow, obviously, but even if they Devs announce DCUO sunset this year, I will still play. Maybe spend less, or not at all, but this game is a big part of my life so I'm not going anywhere until the very last day, which I personally feel is far, far, farrrr away as long as the game still has players + steady income. (And as long as they keep produce content, I have no reason to worry.)
    • Like x 1
  3. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I see them tweaking stuff, so I'm not that worried about the game shuttering anytime soon. It will happen eventually, it always does. If the game were about to shut down, they wouldn't be putting a feats list in the mission menu. They wouldn't be tweaking the stacking limits of loot boxes.

Could they be doing more?, of course they could. But they are working on stuff, so I'm not fretting.
    • Like x 1
  4. Eve YouTuber

Yeah exactly what I'm thinking. I'm not worried
  5. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Every single trailer for the game before its release basically predicted this happening. The game was doomed from the beginning and I just feel sorry for anyone who paid for it and for any ingame stuff.

Thank christ for FFVII Remake releasing when it did, the Marvel Avengers game almost bankrupt Square Enix with its monumental failure and FFVII Remake saved them.
  6. myandria Item Storage

Yes, for now Crystal Dynamics is keeping up with the game features. But, after Sept 30th they wont be doing anything with the game. It makes me wonder if Marvel will find another studio to continue the content or not. I don't expect Square Enix to do it, as that company has already moved on with their own ventures. The game will not be making much money after March 31st, since they are shutting down the marketplace at that time; perhaps Marvel thinks it will make money from the sale of the base game since everything else will be free.

It will be interesting to see how long Marvel will want to keep those servers in maintenance mode.
  7. xXlNesTlXx Well-Known Player

Combat mechanics are nice and fun to play.....during 10 hours...after that, the game is a stinky trash can, boring as hell, without any objetive, and repetitive....is like some kind of LPVE mode of DCUO but with The Avengers...