Crazy idea time, reworking how content is monitized

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Minnion, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Minnion Devoted Player

So crazy idea time once again, and woo boy do I have one that will probably get the torches and pitchforks out on me today...

The idea? Make content releases "Free" (By free I mean if you don't choose to pay for it you don't get early access to it like the paying customers.)

So to elaborate:
    • FTP players don't have to pay a cent to eventually run all content.(The idea here is to increase player retention and shorten queue times... As far as I'm concerned all those FTP players that will never pay a cent offer absolutely no benefit to us end game players, but that's not their fault. They're simply not allowed to shorten our queue times by playing with the rest of us at end game, because the devs decided that the game should become "Pay to play" after a certain point.(Thus anyone that isn't paying gets shut out of the end game queues, thus queues that are slower than they could be.)
    • Anyways I'm rambling... Time to get to my second point; and this is where I anger the subscribers... Let premiums buy a wall poster lair item that gives them the same early access that comes with Legendary. It might not seem like a big deal at the moment, but this will hopefully make sense when I'm done... The early access poster that comes with this premium purchase can only be redeemed once.(If you want more than one you have to buy more of them one at a time as separate purchases... After the early access time is lapsed it's just a poster featuring artwork related to the episode.)
    • Now this is where Legendary comes in... To make up for the fact that Early access can now be purchased by premiums? You get a Legendary version of the poster included with the premiums early access purchase. How does the Legendary version of the poster differ from the premium version? The legendary poster is infinitely redeemable(But only given to players who are subscribed during the month that early access for the related piece of content is granted.)
    • In a vein similar to the above, I also propose that Legendary players get infinitely redeemable versions of all new lair items released while they are subscribed...
  2. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

crazy as advertised... :D
    • Like x 3
  3. VictoryMC98 Dedicated Player

What No free Candy?
  4. Minnion Devoted Player

Crazy enough that it just might work?
  5. Minnion Devoted Player

That's done in the Valentines and Halloween Seasonal...
    • Like x 1
  6. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Why grab a torch and a pitchfork, I'd more than likely need to use a tank to make sure you and this horrible idea get buried forever :D.

Joking aside (I would never really use a tank on you) this idea is beyond horrible and has no merit... if anything this makes it so people wouldn't need to spend money on the game at all and thus ensure this game dies (and it would be a quick one at that).
    • Like x 2
  7. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

But
    They would have to but all the previous dlcs first

Early access to teir 8 content is worthless to someone who is capped at t4
  8. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

If I understand what the OP was intending, is all the content would be free... for everybody. The only thing that would be "purchaseable" is the ability to get the "early access".
    • Like x 1
  9. Dynagirl Committed Player

Yeah this idea is pretty bad. You have to remember people are like electricity, they seek the path of least resistance. No sensible player would pay for early access if you are going to eventually get the content for free anyways. What I suspect the results of your system would be similar to how people reacted to old dlc system. They will just vanish from the game till they can play again. That would be bad for both a business and player stand point as it affects both revenue and population.
    • Like x 3
  10. Minnion Devoted Player

People don't need to spend money on the game at all, it's a game... The trick is getting people to WANT to spend money on this game... This is where I think cosmetic, convenience and vanity items come in...
  11. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Actually in FTP games you're required to pay in order to play past a certain point.
    • Like x 1
  12. Neidler123 Dedicated Player

That's not a very good idea for alot of reasons
    • Like x 1
  13. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

I agree with you 100%, that's why I mentioned using a tank on the idea in my opening post ^_^
    • Like x 1
  14. Backseid Devoted Player

Not enough. The vast majority will just wait a week. Not enough care about a poster or a weeks early access.

Early access does nothing for you anyway.
    • Like x 1
  15. Backseid Devoted Player

Want pitchforks?

ONLY SUBSCRIBERS CAN RUN RAIDS

*runs as fast as he can*
  16. lukelucky Devoted Player

MINUS free content its really not a bad idea. I mean u sell early access. Whatever gets premium paying closer to $10 per month is a win. So the free part I get but feel its the part thats kinda crazy.

A month of unlimited escrow for a few dollars, early access and or any option to get more premiums pay more then $4 is a ok.
    • Like x 1
  17. Backseid Devoted Player

I agree on the early access part. A few more bucks for that would do. $4 for the content is a steal anyway.
  18. seek76 Committed Player

$4 for content is a steal okkkkk. $4 for an episode seems about a good price for two pieces of content. $15 a month sub for two pieces of content seems to be a rip off. Why would a premium buy content if only subscribers were able to run raids. Some ideas should probably stay just to yourself. You don't have to share everything.
  19. Backseid Devoted Player

Awww... you thought I was serious about the Raid thing?

Lol ;)
    • Like x 2
  20. Wiccan026 Loyal Player

Sooo not pitchfork worthy.

More like a twin desert eagles and a couple napalm grenades...

Points for trying though ;)
    • Like x 1