Crash To Desktop Outrageous

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Elijah Seed, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

Since the C++ update attached to the game last month my DCUO has crashed to desktop with increased frequency and is now to a point that I question if I'm going to renew my membership and continue playing.

Immediately after the C++ update in May my DCUO started crashing at least once a day and quickly escalated to twice. Then three times a day, four times...you get the picture. It is now to a point where it is multiple times an hour EVERY hour. I can see no rhyme or reason for this. It crashes to desktop at the most inopportune times - in the middle of combat during alerts and raids, open world content - I sometimes get the game back up just to find my character knocked out even though the fight I was in was beyond easy.

Mind you, DCUO the game does not crash - it remains running - it's that the window the game is in collapses to my desktop taskbar in an instant - and then it takes several seconds for it to load back into that window when I re-maximize it. If this was a once a day or less frequent issue, I'd just live with it. But now I've decided I want a divorce.

This crash to desktop issue needs to go.
    • Like x 1
  2. Badname392023 Well-Known Player

i been crashing and delayed a whole bunch ever since SM launched
    • Like x 1
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Which WIndows do you run on and did you try reinstalling the C++ Runtime libraries?
  4. Elijah Seed Well-Known Player

10 and I keep it updated. Two updates just in the past week. I imagine C++ is part of the auto update process as I never see it as a separate stand-alone update. I was surprised last month when I installed the latest DCUO game update that I immediately got a C++ update that HAD to be installed, too, in order for DCUO to launch. That's when I first noticed this issue. Would love to be rid of it whether it's C++ or something else.
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

C++ is part of many prograams that run on Windows, but not of Windows itself. You can uninstall, reinstall and repair these Runtime libraries just like every other software.

DCUO also use NET Framework.

Maybe it is worth a try to reinstall.
  6. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

I've seen so many people commenting on how their game / window is crashing all the time, yet I think I've seen DCUO crash maybe twice in the last six months. If some people crash all the time and others do not, that would indicate to me there is an issue on the individual PC. If it was the game itself I think everyone would experience the constant crashes. So what LadyLightning suggests sounds like a good place to start. If you re-install the Runtime libraries and the NET Framework and it solves the problem, let us know. Good luck!
    • Like x 1
  7. Vantabat New Player

Making things odder, I run it under Wine on two different Linux distributions. Installed the newer runtime as well and do not have crashing problems.
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

That's actually clever. Windows is a popular target of malware and these love to target dll files, which is what these runtimes mostly are made of...