Core Strength vs. Penetrating Strikes (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by shiny mackerel, Oct 27, 2013.

1. jamesbopp43 Committed Player

How do you come to that ratio?

I'll be honest, I'm not too familiar with how time bomb works, so if you could break that down for me, it'd help.
  2. Absolix Loyal Player

Time Bomb is calculated using the damage any Time tree powers inflicted multiplied by a number decided by the amount of powers used and which powers used, but the former makes such a small difference that it is almost nonexistent.

Because the damage of the Time powers can have their damage affected by damage modifiers the damage modifiers indirectly affect Time Bomb's damage that way. The damage modifiers also directly affect Time Bomb's damage a second time.

The way I got the number is 1/1.7. 1 represents 100%, the damage without a modifier, divided by 1.7, 170%, the amount it would have with a Max Damage and Core Strength damage modifier. So the damage without a modifier is about 58.8% the damage with a modifier.
  3. jamesbopp43 Committed Player

That makes since, 1/1.7

Could I trouble you for one more thing? Can you give me an example equation as to how a time bomb damage would output given a rotation of previous time tree atacks? It will help me visualize the effects of the damage modifiers. Or is it as simple as:

Time bomb = DmgMod x ( (Atk1 + Atk2 + Atk3) x DmgMod x Multiplier )

Or are there other factors I'm missing?
  4. Absolix Loyal Player

Time Bomb's Damage equals = (Atk1 + Atk2 + Atk3) x Multiplier

When finding the multipliers it is just dividing Time Bomb's damage by the damage of the Time powers used during it. This includes the damage modifier as a part of the multiplier. It is easier to find it that way as when you divide by the damage modifier to try to separate the multiplier and the damage modifier you introduce more potential for rounding errors.

Time Bomb's damage never directly crits. If the damage pops up in as a critical hit it is purely cosmetic. It would do the same damage if it doesn't crit. If a Time power crits, then that damage will be used to calculate Time Bomb's damage, so Time Bomb can in a way indirectly crit.
    • Like x 1
  5. DarkNovaBlaze Dedicated Player

Is Core Strength still the better option for non-Quantum powers?
  6. jamesbopp43 Committed Player

Yes, it should. The math hasn't changed. 6.25% improvement for core strength, 5.88% improvement for penetrating strikes...Assuming you're dps with max damage hands
    • Like x 1
  7. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I wonder if PS would be benefical to a 113 DPS in Corrupted Zam until the CR hits 124+? I ask as I say damage as a 113 around 500 as a Rage player. Now I'm hitting much higher, but I wonder if PS would be helpful when fast leveling a toon through instances until that toon is properly geared?
    • Like x 1
  8. Absolix Loyal Player

No, CR doesn't change how they work.

PS ignores some defense, but the damage is still forced to be affected by CR scaling just as much as with CS, co the only benefit to PS is when an enemy has higher defense which is rare and usually only for 1 enemy in an instance.
  9. jamesbopp43 Committed Player

I'd have to look up what exactly the cr differential does. If it boosts the defense of an enemy when you are lower level, then your idea is plausible.

However, as Absolix mentioned, I think the cr differential is a separate scalar applied to the end product. So for instance, if you are lower level, you might do only 90% of your true damage; but this is not the same as defense mitigation by your enemy. So you wouldn't get any benefit from PS.

That's just how I think it works. If you have a lower level toon, see how it works with the CR 126 dummy, and let me know what you find out.
  10. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

I wish I had 57 MoV on my Fire toon and if she was level 30 to go ahead and test that out. Maybe once I get to end game I can test. For now, I'm just having fun playing with my other toons.
  11. jamesbopp43 Committed Player

I have a lvl 59 character who might be able to afford it. Tonight I'll test and let you know for sure by tomorrow
  12. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

Thanks. I was just curious as I tend to fast level toons and if PS does something for those that do that, I may just go that route for my Fire toon when she gets to end game. I'm mean level 30. LOL.
  13. Snix Dedicated Player

Is the info on this topic up-to-date? PS over CS for DPS? CS over PS for Support Roles?
  14. Absolix Loyal Player

If you look at the top of the first post you will see a link to this post regarding the changes in GU47.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...ikes-with-pictures.176413/page-8#post-3261184

Long story short, CS is better for everything except enemies that have higher than the normal 15% mitigation Defense, but since these enemies are so rare and usually only one to an instance it is better to just keep CS.
    • Like x 1
  15. Snix Dedicated Player

Thanks for the reply. So not much has changed in 4 months I see.
  16. DCUO ENTHUSIAST Dedicated Player

I use penetrating strikes and I out DPS everyone