Controller - Stat Allocation Question

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by OhSicks, Nov 27, 2017.

1. OhSicks Well-Known Player

I'm starting a new toon and am going to play a Mental Controller.

I am researching the role and see two differing recommendations as far as Dom. One is to split Dom with either Vit or Power when placing stats, the other recommend just bumping Dom to 5 and then don't worry about Dom any longer. Which is the best course? Is higher Dom better for Debuffs, or does it matter?

Also, is Vit worth doing, or should the emphasis be on power? How much does Vit impact power healing? Is it really worthless and the better option being the Might/Power route? Are there two differing opinions here, or is the current overwhelming opinion Power > Vit for Trolls?
  2. krytine Loyal Player

Bit isn't worthless its just by itself not the most effective. Dom will help your shielding and debuffs but it's not my main focus. Primarily i would hit might/power use split mods to raise your vit, power, dom, might or health which ever suits your play style. I have found in support role for me I go with the hybrid build to gain the extra stats and I don't seem to have any issues with power myself but it requires patients to work your weapon into your rotation. Super power seems to be the way most trolls and supports are going now but I am enjoying and using the hybrid build its your call to figure out which you prefer
    • Like x 1
  3. OhSicks Well-Known Player

Thanks, I am learning the troll (this is my first troll.) Right now I run debuffs and spam powers to maintain the group's power levels with PoT. Do you know how long the PoT lasts after a power is used by a Mental Troll? Also, this PoT is for the group, or just the Troll?
  4. krytine Loyal Player

12s
  5. Perdition Committed Player

I specced full might/power in stats (195) then around 111 in vit. also went Hydbrid. I also prefer HB as a weapon for clipping debuffs/powerdump.
    my mods are: Yellow = VIT/Power
    Blue = VIT/Dom
    Red = VIT/Prec
    i did not spec dom because i don't see the point atm sinds they ''revamped'' the troll role. in other words, its just a battery now.

For me a full VIT build did not work sinds i was always out of power. The way i specced now (as put above) everything goes pretty smooth for me and even the group. 95% of the dpses i need to power have no problem power wise. but you always have those other 5% dpses who don't give a flying ''bird'' about the troll and just spam those 300 power moves and thinking they are doing great.
    • Like x 2
  6. Perdition Committed Player

Pot is for everyone, including the troll itself.
    • Like x 1
  7. Isif Committed Player

Yay more people learning to troll. No, I am not being sarcastic. There is a lot of good info above. Suggested Dom will take care of itself as you get better gear. I tend to run 60% of my SPs (once you open the bottom of the SP chart) in Vit and the rest in Power. Everyone will have a personal preference. Really the best bit of advice that I can give is to learn how to prioritize your Power out. Don't let some of these DPSes stress you out. Some folks use as much power as possible as soon as possible. I tend to be the most generous to my fellow support roles.
    • Like x 2
  8. Exostorm Well-Known Player

As just said, there's no need to put any points in Dominance, as your gear will put you over the Dom needed for the content that you're able to run. As far as spec'ing between Vitalization, and Might and Power, I've found some comfort in doing the opposite of most trolls. I put a little over 100 sp into Might and Power, while putting the large majority into Vit. It gives me a respectable PoT without having to excessively spam instant power. That's just me though, you'll figure out what works best for you as you play.
    • Like x 4
  9. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Unfortunately the real main way to be an effective troll is Vit/Pow mods and putting a significant portion of stat points in might/pow.

Power in the base generator mods, vit in the gen mods as well.

But, you dont have to play this way, we're only saying with the current condition of trolling, this is the best way to power your group and not run out of power in 3 seconds.

Dominance is obviously great to spec into by the way, but as i said above we're put in a hard spot. Why spend extra sp on dom when you need it for might or vit?

Using a mix of dom/power or dom/vit would be interesting though
    • Like x 2
  10. Saybro Committed Player

Spec hybrid and use hand blasters as well. As for mods I don't use power in any of them. I keep the traditional vit. I'm too lazy to remod and have thought about the idea of going vit a power. Gen mods are power and when I spec I get the crits, then max out might and power, put 1 point into health and the rest into vit. To me, speccing into dom serves no purpose as your stuns will all be the same as every other trolls which is about 3 secs. Also, you will get plenty from your gear. Just my 2 cents though. Good info in this thread, everyone has their own preference for running. I agree with the above, most can solo troll, but there are a select few (dps, healers, and tanks) who just blow their bar like no other.
  11. OhSicks Well-Known Player

Currently I'm splitting Might/Power and Vit fairly even. I don't have much as far as Generator and Equipment mods on the toon as I don't want to use my Marks of Victory unless I have to.

I have the toon up to 65 and I am feeling alright about the group power, haven't had people hitting too low. I keep PoT going and power myself with my weapon inbetween buff/debuff rotation, throwing an instant power in every now and then.

The problem I just ran into is my CR increase speed. I'm at that point where DCUO gives you everything but your Role gear. I had to switch to DPS gear to keep progressing. This hit my Dom hard. Decided to respec while running to place some points into Dom until I get to the Role drops. Annoying drops. I'm not remembering, do the drops get fixed in Tier 4 or is it later?

Also, keeping my feats rolling, so I'm fine on feats, should be in good shape through max CR. just running feats as I go, averaging enough SP to keep them 20-30 above my CR at the moment.
  12. OhSicks Well-Known Player

Last night I was messing around with my SP. I currently have around 170-175 SP. The difference in stats with straight Troll gear felt minimal when switching my stats around in hybrid. Straight Might/Power set my Vit at ~5700, straight Vit set Vit at ~6600, keeping might and vit fairly equal set my Vit at ~6200. My overall power varied, but the amount of power gained in going straight Might did not seem sufficient to justify doing so.

Question for the data people out there. Is there a significant impact of the Vit stat with 900 points? Does stat allocation really matter outside the specialization and the crits? I did not notice much difference in any way in my trolling after changing stats around and running E3 raids, my struggles with maintaining everyone's power were the same. It seems that Dom or Might would be better choices either to buff dmg or make my debuffs and cc stronger.