Competetive raiding

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Baelor, Mar 16, 2023.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I didn't say it couldn't be competitive, I said it's inherently cooperative. PvE can be made competitive, but it takes an active decision or choice on the part of the players or the dev team of the game to make it so. With PvP, it's you against another player. A competition to see who wins. PvE? There's nobody to compete with. It's the main reason why I feel being competitive in PvE is silly. It's you versus the environment, and in a group setting trying to make it competitive can result in a mission failure, especially if someone gets tunnel vision about something like the scoreboard.

With PvP, if you don't compete you fail. With PvE, if you don't cooperate you're more likely to fail.

Just for the record and as a side note, I'm very much a casual compared to most. My loadouts and choices in things like Artifacts, Allies and gear mods would most likely make most players cringe, never mind my SP totals and how I may be spending them. :D

But I've seen what being competitive can do, both in myself and in observing players in the game, and it can VERY easily bring out the worst in some players. Whether it's people throwing tantrums about duels (regardless of whether or not items used are allowed by the devs) or players being sore winners in PvP or someone not coming in first on a scoreboard, being competitive can make even the most level-headed and genial player a complete and total jerk, even if they don't think it will happen.
    • Like x 1
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

But it isn't inherent in the content. Players may make it competitive, but that's their own choice.
    • Like x 1
  3. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

Oh, I agree. I don't understand it, but I've seen it enough to know it's real. But yes, it's driven by the players that do it, not by the content. And encouraged, whether inadvertently or deliberately, by the Scorecard.
    • Like x 1
  4. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

It's just guys wanting to show off to each other lol
    • Like x 1
  5. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

If you already know that you are going to beat the raid because you've done it dozens of times with the same people... competition is what keeps it fun. It doesn't need to be a toxic **** measuring contest. Whales just make it that way.
    • Like x 1
  6. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Would you miss the Scoreboard if it were to go away?
  7. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

Probably.
  8. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I don't think it will ever go away. It's a good tool when used properly. :)
    • Like x 1
  9. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

If it went away, there'd be a lot of screaming around here. :p
    • Like x 2
  10. Dene Devoted Player

Hence my reply above LOL
    • Like x 1
  11. Baelor New Player

What I gathered from this thread is that the competitive raiding scene doesn't really exist due to a combination of:
    • Cheaters.
    • Relatively easy content where a coordinated group doesn't have much trouble completing new content in almost first try.
    • Various oversights by the devs which nullifies many of the challenges that they put in place.
    I hope the devs will spend some time in the future to make the hardest content truly hard to appeal more to the hardcore players. To me personally, watching World Firsts is always an exciting moment when new content is released for a game I love. I also believe it's good marketing which brings a lot of attention to game. Cheers.
    • Like x 1
  12. Dene Devoted Player

Years ago, there used to be looonngg threads with ppl going back and forth about the scoreboard

I think at one point Spytle even said he wished they didnt have it etc

EDIT: found 1 example - I was known as Silver Pride on the forums back then.. looks like Low Flying and I even had words - nothing bad but LOL

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...t-the-scoreboard-has-to-go-now.206583/page-13
    • Like x 3
  13. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

lol... Good times.

Anyway - Spytle is gone and the scorecard is still in the game, so... I won. :D
    • Like x 2
  14. zNot Loyal Player

Agreed there is a lack of difficulty especially for support rolls and mechanic wise also said content is way too much based on using 5 DPS and generally dps stacking to skip difficulty.

The coordinated groups you mentioned up to this point also use every broken thing which the content isnt designed to handle like eog stacking and art swap (to name the biggest problems) etc

Players who want true difficulty need to also ask for balance the devs cant and shouldnt design content around the most broken things this game has to offer.
    • Like x 1
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I don't know if the premise is correct that EoG or other items are broken. Maybe they are functioning the way they were intended to function and this is all by design.

If players are going to all the effort of making coordinated groups with these items to beat difficult content (I assume we are talking about Elite), then it seems they getting their enjoyment. It doesn't affect me in anyway if they are minding their own business playing with the tools DCUO has given them and they are in their own little groups.

Players want to be strong. Players want to get stronger and out level the content. Players like to have a sense of accomplishment, of reaching a goal of being able to not only beat the content but to crush it handily. I know I enjoyed getting stronger, out leveling, and crushing the content.

If players are using what is given to them by DCUO and are not cheating I don't envy them for finding a way to be stronger and get that sense of strength. I use to have that sense of strength and I truly miss it.
    • Like x 1
  16. Dene Devoted Player

hehehehe - I liked the changes they did way back when, so all good
    • Like x 2
  17. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

It does affect you, even if you don't know it. If part of the player-base is overpowered, it becomes increasingly difficult to balance the content. The new raids have to be made more difficult, so that people using OP mechanics and tactics still have a challenge, meaning people not using those are bound to struggle. That's why we now have Elite Plus content, that devs have to spend time working on instead of making more content for the average player. At some point most people learn about those cheesy methods and almost everyone ends up using them, so all the content becomes more trivial, most players use the same builds, people get bored and leave.

What do you think will happen when every group has a bunch of EoGs, power creep gets out of hand, and regular content becomes too easy? Do you want the stat clamp to be made more severe?

Illusion of strength is not the same as sense of strength. You can still be immensely powerful - even with clamped stats and without OP arts. You just have to put in some work to get there.
    • Like x 2
  18. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

I would rather not re-open that stinky can of worms agains. I personally no longer have a sense of strength nor will I ever again feel immensely powerful, that has all been stripped from me. I have elite/mixed gold level gear, all 3 arts at 200 all augments maxed but i have no sense of strength. We still wiped 3 times against the Vampire Lord in Darkness Rising. There should never have been the possibility of 1 wipe in my opinion. Just my opinion.
  19. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Gear alone is not supposed to make you invincible. I have rank 200,180,160 artifacts, CR196 and I can solo most bounties as DPS. And I have beaten Vampire Lord in PUGs with no healer, or tank and other players at CR below 300. Sure we wiped a few times, but the difference between a game and a walking simulator is that in a game there is a realistic possibility of failure.

Endgame content is not clamped, so if you don't feel strong there - I don't know what to tell you.

And - as I said - maybe some of those mechanics in alerts and raids wouldn't have to be made so challenging for the average player, if a minority of players weren't overpowered.
  20. jpharrah1010 Steadfast Player

What’s funny is when they try to cheat this content in a blind queue. People who don’t know each other at all.

I stepped in to do an elite alert in soba…. And we get to the end everything was pretty smooth til the end. Then the tank is trying to glitch the last boss, I won’t go into the details but I’m sure everyone knows about it by now.

This was news to me up to this point.

We all kept dying as he’s trying to do these glitches, we kept asking why he was doing it and he said,”it makes the last boss faster”

We had been on the last boss for about 10 mins til I decided I’m done with this, I only stayed cause I didn’t wanna go through the entire alert again now only needing last boss, but it was clear I woulda been done faster if I just went in to another instance and started over.

Sadly the next instance i went into it was more of the same. So I won’t be bothering with the elite alert at this point since it seems no one wants to run it with out glitching it