Come on, heroes. We've got to help save this city....Marvel's The Defenders Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Jul 21, 2016.

1. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone,
    So some amazing Marvel / Netflix news from Comic Con. Finally, a teaser for the culmination of all the Marvel and Netflix shows.....

[IMG]

bringing all four of the heroes together in one place, THE DEFENDERS.
    • Like x 3
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Only eight episodes (at least so far)

Interestingly enough, only Cage was ever a member (even if reluctantly) of the real Defenders, so this group will be the New New Defenders (Angel, Beast and Iceman formed the core of the New Defenders)
    • Like x 1
  3. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Um... you do know the Defenders will be Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist? All four of them were teased, too.

Anyway, not sure what I think, to be honest. I don't know Luke Cage (this version) other than from his small apperances on Jessica Jones, and he didn't leave much to care about. So he's strong and invulnerable. Big deal. Who isn't? I don't know Iron Fist at all. As for Jessica Jones, I wasn't much of a fan of her series. It was just so... boring. Of all the characters they could have gone with, why her? They already had Hellcat (well, "I'm going to be Hellcat soon"), and a lawyer-series set in Hell's Kitchen in the Marvel-universe without She-Hulk? So much wasted potential. Personally, I'd much rather switch Jessica Jones with She-Hulk or Elektra, and wait until I know Iron Fist more before I decide if I care about him. In fact, while I do love a nice teaser, I'd much rather have an Iron Fist teaser/trailer than the Defenders one. "Who is Danny Rand?" Not a clue, actually. :(
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yes, that's why mentioned the real Defenders (as in, the original: Dr Strange, Hulk, Namor & Silver Surfer) and the New Defenders (Angel, Beast & Ice-Man)

Interesting that you mention Hellcat: she too was a long-term member

Shulkie was firmly based in Los Angeles, and seriously doubt she would re-locate to Hell's Kitchen just to get her own show

Oh, and aurorabenz posted the teaser trailer to Iron Fisted in one of the other threads
  5. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Don't know how much you know about Hellcat, but remember Trish from Jessica Jones? That's Patricia 'Trish' Walker, aka Hellcat. I doubt she'll get her own show any time soon, but I do suspect she'll be turning more and more into Hellcat in Jessica Jones: Season two.

As for where She-Hulk is located in the comics, that's irrelevant. Daredevil is in many ways a show about lawyers, and Punisher was on trial in Daredevil season two. It would be a no-brainer to include She-Hulk as a lawyer there, even as just a cameo. She wouldn't even need to be "She-Hulk", but just a human woman named Jennifer Walters would do for me. I don't even care if she's not green.
  6. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't have Netflix, so haven't seen any of the shows

Wait, you want Shulkie in the show just to have her in there, not even considering how she would end up on the opposite coast? Punisher was in Daredevil because he is also based in New York, so it would make sense to have he end up in the same court as Murdock

Jen may be a lawyer, but she is based on the West Coast, the only reason she would end up in an East Coast court is if she was connected personally and slash or directly to someone in the case, and that sounds extremely unlikely

The reason why the current shows are being made is because they all have well-established connections to each other, and Frank Quitely, believe they have gotten "The Defenders" confused with "Heroes For Hire"
    • Like x 1
  7. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Wow... you haven't seen any of these shows? You might want to do that before discussing them. Spoilers is one thing (sorry, I figured you had seen them), and trying to discuss something you don't have a clue about doesn't usually end well for the one not knowing what he's talking about. ;)

But for now, all I'm going to say is Jen is based in LA in the comics. This is not the comics.
  8. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

If you don't have Netflix, you can always find a pirated copy online (I'm not one to endorse pirated material but as long as I see it why not) ;). Plus I read that Netflix will be releasing their Marvel shows on Blu-ray too.
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

May buy them when they are released on disc (even if it's Blu-ray), don't have anything to play even DVD's on at the moment, but that doesn't stop me from buying movies and stuff to watch later
    Although, probably won't get Jessica Jones as the primary subject matter is something that gets me extremely angry with and refuse to watch something that will not entertain me (there have been episodes of shows that have not watched after reading the synopsis prior to the episode airing, even if it's a series normally watch)
  10. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Well you don't want to cast a cameo with an unknown actress if they could potentially use her down the road. We have to remember that Universal still has the Hulk movie rights his appearance in the MCU are part of deal they've worked out.
  11. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Don't you watch Game of Thrones? You should definitely not watch Outlander... The shows intro makes it seem like it's a romantic trip to the beautiful highlands of Scotland. It's not. While there's romance, the show at times is quite brutal & harsh. I'm only kidding about not watching it, it's actually a good show if you like time travel, history and "off the rails" crazy writing.
  12. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

Just curious - what about the primary subject matter of Jessica Jones would make you extremely angry? I thought it was one of the best series that I watched last year.
    • Like x 1
  13. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Well, first of all, the actors for the other characters aren't exactly A-list either. They could easily find someone to play She-Hulk if they wanted to. Besides, they have already had other cameos, like Hellcat.

If I were to take a guess, I'd say the sexual assault thing. Not to happy about that myself, either. But that doesn't mean I don't watch series and movies that focuses on that. It's just a tv-series or a movie. No big deal.

Though speaking of Jessica Jones, what's her part in Defenders, anyway? Daredevil had a ton of action and awesome fighting. The Luke Cage teaser showed him as a total badass warrior thingy, and Iron Fist is "the living weapon". And Jessica Jones... didn't really do anything. At all. She was just... sitting there. So why is she in Defenders? I know she has powers, but will she start to use them in her own series too?
  14. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

She can jump really high. Maybe Trish will train her to fight. But primarily I think she's there for sass and one-liners.
  15. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

Daredevil, you take them! Luke, fight those! Iron Fist, take the big guy over here! I'll sit here and comment on everything and throw insulting one-liners! :p
  16. Superskull85 Devoted Player

I haven't watched these simply because I don't typically like how close Marvel is to "real world" people and society (I could get into that but I'd rather not). I like superhero shows for, well, acting like superheroes which is why I like every DC Comics live action release and most of their animations.

Would I get that same feel from these four and then the Defenders? If it's a "I'm a superheo but I work in the bounds of society" or "I'm a superhero. I could show you that or I could show you my 'normal' life and tribulations instead" things I wouldn't touch it with a stick.

No story please but just curious.
  17. DarkLadyAthena Dedicated Player

There isn't much action in Jessica Jones, but there is a lot in Daredevil. Just be warned it's rather graphic at times. Not "tons of gore" graphic, but it feels much more realistic than what's normal in superhero-shows, and some scenes are a bit painful to watch. In a good way. :) Though there are two things I don't like about Daredevil. The first season takes a while before getting started, but the second half is awesome. The second season kicks things off right from the start, but (micro-spoiler) it comes to an "end" after the fourth episode. Meaning episode 5 keeps the story arc going, but it also starts a new one. That said, episode 4 of season 2 is spectacular. It's worth watching the rest for that episode alone. :D
  18. HideTheBodies Loyal Player

So far, both Netflix/Marvel series have been pretty slow. If you're a fan of slow-burn TV then I recommend it.

Daredevil is a crime drama. Cops, gangsters, vigilantes. Jessica Jones is more of a character study and is mainly about trauma and recovery. So far, most superpowers in both shows have been shown in a more realistic way.

No one has a "normal" life, but both shows focus a lot on their personal lives.
    • Like x 1
  19. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Yea but you wouldn't want to cast the cameo if there's an actual chance of that show happening, basically they'd have to sign whomever does the cameo for a potential show as well. Hellcat isn't really a cameo, she's a supporting cast character. And there's still that Universal owning the rights to the Hulk franchise which probably includes She-Hulk.

Yea I agree, I'd have a problem with that content if it was only done for "shock value" but that's not the case here as it's very much a part of her story and how she deals with it.

But do you like CW's Arrow? DareDevil Season 1 at 13 episodes per season is basically a more mature and concise version of that show. I just think 23 episodes per season is just too long, too many episodes of catching the "Insert Villain of the Week" and story arcs that have to meander about or "run in place" for weeks at a time.
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Basically, what you said, after reading "The Number of the Beast", have not been able to view something as just a book or a movie or a TV-series or what-have-you, but a glimpse into another world, a world where those things are real: the actor playing the role of someone who got brutally ripped apart and eaten get's to get up at the end of the scene and go home, but not the character

Think of it this way: wold you enjoy the show as much if you knew that it was based on a real experience? Or realised you were watching a live-stream of a snuff-movie? It's a personal problem for me and, while won't stop others from watching (or reading), will refrain if know before watching (or reading) that that is going to happen in that episode

Watched maybe part of the last episode of one of the seasons of GoT (the one where the zombies were marching through the snow and that girl locked her sister and cheating husband into an empty vault {or something like that}), can only watch "Outlander" if subscribe to a special pay-per-view service (same with "Vikings"), but a different service than Netflix