Clipping...not the interrupting animation kind

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sghoul, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Not sure if this has ever come up (I am sure it has in 10 years). What is the consensus on turning off clipping, at least for some people or NPCs? What I mean is the ability to move through people/things. Especially Pets/Henchmen/etc.

I can see the point of it between enemies and players. And a stack of pets keeping a boss at bay can be nice when it happens, but getting stuck on your hovering immovable pet, or surrounded by people's henchmen with no recourse can really stink. In an ideal world I would have things be able to be pushed out of the way based on something like might. But that seems like a lot of work for the devs, whereas making pets able to phase through PC's seems easier...but maybe not depending on how the game was programmed.

Just curious, as I get reminded of it regularly in game.
  2. Leonite Well-Known Player

It's not called clipping but collision. And, yes, it's been discussed already. It's part of the game that tanks usually have to learn to get around to. I usually just jump over them. I don't mind it, I chose to tank as a challenge, LOL
    • Like x 1
  3. Leonite Well-Known Player

Oh, but if you're talking outside of combat, like for example, you go to a broker and when you close the window, can't move because other players have gathered around you and their pets are blocking your way out - can't jump through this either. This has happened to me a few times so this I get.
  4. Ryazan Dedicated Player

It's actually called clipping. lol

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clipping

DCUO's community is just weird using the term to refer to cancels instead. This has always been a small pet peeve of mine.

Edit:

To be more on topic. Speaking as a tank, keep the collisions as it is.
  5. Sghoul Well-Known Player

Thank you, clipping is what I was thinking of. And yes, mostly I mean things getting in the way for general movement. It doesn't seem like it serves much of a purpose besides blocking each other.
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

The pointing out that it's called "collision" around these parts was, I'm sure, a help for searching the forums for, say, a recent thread about the topic where a dev weighed in. Words have different meanings in different contexts.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dc...o-so-can-you-remove-collision-already.324483/
    • Like x 3
  7. BumblingB I got better.

It's both.

Clipping is the flag that enables collision between objects in a virtual world. Which is exactly what the definition said that you provided.

On topic, Hreasvelg said what I was going to say. It basically has to do with how this game was built. Which was not very modular. All the devs refer to the older code as "legacy code". Which just means that it's a spider web mess of code that often times when they adjust one thing, it breaks 2-3 things as well. They've been doing a great job making things work within what they had and eventually I think we will see better options, but for now, it's probably lower priority for them. Especially now that they have to retrain a lot of new staff due to the mass leaving of devs.
    • Like x 2
  8. Raven Nocturnal Loyal Player

Bring up console commands (~ key), type "noclip" and hit Enter ;D

...But yes, +1 to better clipping