Class Tips: Controlling

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by drzdonn, Feb 21, 2013.

1. General Zod 10000 Post Club

This video would disagree with you.
  2. drzdonn Well-Known Player

FOS3 is an excellent example of an instance where trollers are expected to do something more then simply give out power. Personally I love to use TK to lift the white fists in the air to keep the party safe and disabling that dangerous ad.

But as far as the people who switched over from being trollers to DPS because they were getting hounded at for giving power. You want to blame the people who asked for power but if those trollers were doing things like CC and debuffs when the group was running low on power then the group should yell at the troller. We are the only class with the ability to instantly supply the group with power outside of SCs. Colas, Weapon Combos and SCs are not the main way of other roles replenishing their power, the troll class is.

The main way that trolls replenish their power is through PoT and weapon combos, but everyone else is forced to rely on the troller for power, therefore trollers should be super efficient at giving power. Using your power dump for more then just emergencies is a basic way to keep power up, not to mention that there are zero draw backs for using your power dump frequently. The main way I have seen groups complain about power is not by the group telling the troller to do nothing but power dump, but by the group telling the troller to power dump more frequently, some people just can not take criticism and instead of simply using their power dump more often, they take it as if the group wants the troll to do nothing but power dump.

Saying to spam the power dump is a very blunt, extreme way of advicing trolls to use it more frequently, but no where in the guide does it say that if the trollers are doing a good job at keeping up power that they can not go into CC, Stuns, or Debuffs. It does however mention that if the troller's party is running low on power, the main concern of the troller is to replenish that power, anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring the basic duty of their role.
  3. risen New Player

Aside from all the nit picking and fighting I just wanted to chime in and say cc will Save a teammate my troll sits at 900 Dom and I can easily smash a group of ads swarming my teammates to the ground. This allows a dps to burn them down or save a healer in turn saving you. This guide didn't recieve much love from the gamefaqs forum nor here. That should in its self be a red flag that you need to revise and take a big look at what you're preaching. Instead of arguing with experienced controllers take it with a humble attitude and swallow you're pride. I've trolled fos2 khan and gate by myself with only 980 vit at its base. And alot of my time is spent cc between boss and ads. This is why PoT is there to keep the balance between the times you're cc and doing battery. Try making a "All Around" guide and you'll see the responses are not going to be attacking you as you seem to only be putting up defense to any reply that doesn't agree with you
  4. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Wow, you just completely misunderstand the definition of soloing an instance. To solo an instance means to go into an area, without a team, and clear each boss by yourself.

Everybody and their mother has done gates without a full group.

This is a video of Gates being four maned, a feat that is far from impressive at this stage of the game.
  5. risen New Player

Lol nobody in their right mind would try to solo a raid with 1 man. Solo heal solo troll means one to a GROUP I've never had anybody conceive the notion that they would attempt this alone. Now you're just trying to make a stupid point
  6. drzdonn Well-Known Player

The reason I put a defense to comments that disagree is because what is in the comments make it obvious that the guide was not read, you can tell which people read the guide because they did not automatically scream "battery guide!!!!! its crap".

The guide said from the beginning that it is covering the basic aspect of trolling. The most basic role of a troll is keeping power up, every troll should at the very least know the basic way of giving power to the group. Mastering the basics is essential if you want to be good at other things like debuffs, CC, and stuns.

Seriously people read the "reason for the post"..
  7. drzdonn Well-Known Player

The reason I make that point is because people make it seem as if doing a CC is better then making sure the healer has power to heal, or tank power to pull, or dps power to burn, our powers and abilities are no substitute for another role.

I never said a troll should not do CCs or Debuffs or Stuns and wweapon combos, but that they should only do those things if and when the party is not in dire need of power.
  8. risen New Player

I understand that but it's misleading that's all I'm saying it will give people who already don't know how to play the role the notion that this is all they need to do. If I came into an alert or raid where a troll was doing nothing but what you're saying I would punch myself in the face. Honestly, cc also builds power back up on the hit counter so that you can give out more power. That's why I said revise and make an all around guide
  9. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Going into how CCs, Weapon combos, and other ways to build your own power has already been beautifully done in other guides. This guide, as it says, is to cover the basics of trolling. The one basic thing a troller should do is give out power. If the guide is read, the reader will go away with the notion that mastering to give power is something that they need to do, but also that there are other aspects of the role that they need to be good at and go to other guides to learn of.

The basic job of a troller is to give power. That is the minimum requirement for troller and that is what the guide makes painfully clear, I am guessing that instead of actually reading, most people get to the point where it says trolls should focus on giving power and then make up their own idea of what the rest of the guide says, which is a foolish thing to do when reading any article.
  10. risen New Player

It's like talking to a brick wall and a broken record. Again giving power is not the main job. There is no main job you have multiple jobs with equal importance. It's painfully obvious if somebody doesn't agree with you you're going to keep repeating your self hoping for different reactions. Good luck
  11. drzdonn Well-Known Player

I urge people to, instead of coming to the last page of comments, to actually go and look at the guide. I will re-post the brief about me and reason behind the post again because it is very clear that few people read it.

Once again, the following was posted along with the guide, if you did not read this and therefore misunderstood the purpose of the guide then that is your fault, not mine.

Brief About Me: I am a long time, loyal player of DCUO, I played the game during BETA, and it is still one of the main, or the main game I turn on my PS3 to play. I have had many toons in DCUO, I'v played each power at least once through to level 30. That being said I have just one character that I play with. (Putting myself out there a little) My main and for all intensive purposes only toon is a hero called MassRelay. His power is mental and movement is speedster, 121(as of 2-24-13) skill points and 89cr.
    Reason for this post: I always thought that if people were serious about playing this game that they would do some research and find out a couple of details about their powers/roles in the game to make sure that they are playing as best they can. But apparently even though they say they know what they are doing I find myself having to "coach" other controllers on the basics of what they should be doing. My hopes is that some people will read this and learn then spread the knowledge and then I will end up having to "coach" a lot less. This does not mean I am the only experienced troller on DCUO, there are many players who can play the role just as well if not better then myself, unfortunately there are a lot more people who control poorly. Hopefully this will make good controllers more common. I will focus on PVE raid controllers. I will assume that if you are reading this you already have some basic knowledge of the game and roles.
  12. drzdonn Well-Known Player

Fine, then. Go into an instance and worry about CCs, Stuns, and Debuffs more then making sure the group does not run dry on power. Let everyone's power fall dead and let them watch you as you use a full bar on nothing but CCs and Stuns..see how far you get before getting kicked.
  13. Sylar-Man New Player

The more you reply the more I see that you aren't trying to say that controllers can't do other aspects but with the way the guide comes off it definetly makes the other parts of the controller role seem less like they are a responsibility and more of a burden. I understand that this is a basic guide on how to give power but I think it could be tailored different than to just becoming a battery.

Right now as a new player if I read your guide and tried to play like that it would lead me to continue to play like that and not even try to understand how I can debuff more and crowd control when necessary. I just think your original post down played those functions too much instead of letting it be known that those are functions that are important but take time to fully understand.
  14. drzdonn Well-Known Player

The guide never said that giving power is the only purpose for trollers. It is however the main reason why we are in a raid. There is no substitute for power. If the situation calls for it, a troller should not hesitate to drop their entire power bar into the group.

This is the basic requirement for a troll, you say that giving power is no more important then then doing CCs/Debuffs/Stuns. It is more important. Lets look at the two extremes:

if you have a troll who does nothing but give power, as opposed to a troll who does nothing but CC./Debuffs/Stuns, which group do you think will succeed?

I can confidently say that the group who has the troll that is doing nothing but give power will be far more successful then the group with the troll who is doing everything but give power.

Agreed, trolls should do both at all time, but the main function of the role is to replenish power.
  15. risen New Player

My team never runs dry. You're a horrible troll obviously. I can easily put out over half a mil in power and 150 damage out. I'm spec'd to be a monster and in solid at my role obviously far better and more well rounded than you. You're like a child with a chip on his shoulder adolescent attitude. I'm now convinced you're no good.
  16. drzdonn Well-Known Player

I have been revising the guide, and taking the advice of everybody that has posted.

A few of the changes are that I tell the reader to go to other guides for a more detail look into some of the finer things of trolling (like power regen through weapon combos), and I am less harsh on the other aspects of trolling.

The only reason why I felt the the need to downplay the other aspects of trolling was because ( not the majority) a lot of trolls, especially when you pug, would use so much power on CCs, Debuffs, and Stuns that the other players did not have enough power to play their roles properly. This guide emphasizes the ability of a troll to be a battery because that is the basic aspect of the role that can not be forgotten or downplayed.

It is ok if a debuff or cc is not constantly up as long as eventually the debuff or cc is used, but it is not ok if the group's power is constantly low. Constantly low power is a greater sin then not debuffing or CCing every once in a while.
  17. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

The original wording in your guide has changed - you initially said "A controller is a player who's toon focuses on replenishing the group's power. There is no other role for a controller." (emphasis is mine, actual quote in post #22 of this topic).

And this is why I stopped reading - you essentially prefaced your guide by saying a controller is a battery.

Anyway, you seem to have made changes to your guide - unfortunately it's tainted as far as I'm concerned, and I can't bring myself to revisit it. That's all good, it may or may not be my loss.
    • Like x 1
  18. drzdonn Well-Known Player

You want to run numbers? Turn this into a measuring contest, listen that was never my intentions, read the guide before judging friend but fine lets compare.

Over half a mil in power out? I am constantly doing at least a mil in power out with runs that are smooth, quick and wipe-less, in fact, few people even get KOd.

Your team never runs dry? People actually tell me how amazed they are at how much power they have when I troll, pug or league runs.

I can go into any group not just with "my team", and guarantee that their power will be good, even if they suck at being efficient with power, while keeping the proper debuffs up, CCing and keeping my weapon combo where I want it to be.

You either did not read the guide or just jumped on a band wagon and reached the conclusion that this guide is saying "do nothing but power dump" and it is not.

The guide stated from the get go,"BASIC", if you are a troll, your most primal, basic instinct should be to give power, not CC, debuff and stun.
  19. drzdonn Well-Known Player

The reason why I had to do that was because there are too many people who down play the fact that trollers need to give power. Trolls who neglect the fact that they need to give power are the reason why a lot of players are always complaining about power.

Most people are not horribly inefficient at using power, so if trollers learn to put aside the CCs, Debuffs, and Stuns even just a little in favor of using their power dump, that will shut the mouths of basically every player who complains about low power.
  20. risen New Player

I read this on gamefaqs already where you received no love there either. Broken record. And I said easily out up half a mill showing you push out that much power only prove you're not doing your role correctly.