Choosing Your Weapon Mastery weapons

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Highplains Sailor, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

From what I can see, if you choose to do Weapon Mastery the weapon pairs are set; you cannot pick which two weapons you want. For example, if you pick Dual Wield, your WM choice is either Brawling or Bow. If you'd like to use a Staff and a Bow as you WM combo, you can't.

Is there a reason the specific pairs were selected? Would certain WM combos be more powerful than others, so the devs didn't pair them up?

Or is it possible to get the combos you want by getting WM mastery in various weapons? For example, Staff and One-Handed, which pairs with Dual Wield, which pairs with a Bow?

Here is a link to the WM Combo chart I've looked at on Fandom:
    https://dcuniverseonline.fandom.com/wiki/Weapon_Mastery

Thank you
  2. Walvine Well-Known Player

Technically for a full combo set for any weapon requires 3 masterys allot players choose not to bother with mastery combos instead to pile those skill points into stats for % bonuses instead .
    The 4 Mastery combos are the strongest attacks in each set.
    Example Blasthand has strongest knock down brawler and bow attacks , they do not require extra weapon in inventory as primary weapon dps is used .
    Aesthetic extra weapon mastery combo attributes appear in styles menu as you unlock them .
    In combat you can still switch weapon from inventory or armoury loadout to change tactic or role type.
  3. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

So if I am using Dual Wield and Bow, and I have the Dual Wield weapon equipped I do not need to have a bow in my inventory to do the two Bow Weapon Mastery attacks, correct? But I assume I need to have a bow in the bank? I would assume most people would keep both weapons in inventory so they can switch if desired. For example, someone may decide they like the various bow attacks more than the Dual Wield attacks, and be satisfied with using the two strongest Dual Wield attacks for their WM combos.

I am just curious as to why they didn't set Weapon Mastery up so you can pick the two weapons you wish to use.

Thanks for the info!
  4. Berza Committed Player

For doing WM combos you don't need to own a piece of the secondary weapon. So if you want to use DW and perform the Bow cross-combos, you need to have a DW equipped, but you don't need to have a bow at all. What you need is to have unlocked all necessary combos. This includes all combos and the WM point for the Bow, and all combos plus the WM point, plus the 2 cross-combos for Dual Wield.
    And the reason for having only 2 combinations for each weapon is probably to limit the amount of cross-combos, as having two for each combination will end with 20 cross-combos on each weapon tree.
  5. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Part of it was asthetics. I don't find it so odd that a staff turns into a rifle and I do like the Staff>mortar combo. The Brawling>MA combos are pretty nifty too. How a shield turns into pistols doesn't make sense though. But part of it was constructed so that when you are doing range combos, your cross mastery doesn't end in a melee move.

But when it was conceived, there was a bonus element as well for clipping the combo with a power. It reduced the cost of the power. So there was a lot to code with the idea. There are 40 weapon cross combos in the game and many would get bugged. 1H>Solar Flame was a broken combo for a while. So it would have been an even larger maintenance issue if you had 2 cross combos for every weapon (that would be 180 combos total). They have since removed the power reduction cost from successfully executing a combo with the last combat revamp.
  6. Walvine Well-Known Player

Before revamp all the passive / inate stats used to only be bonuses with each weapon abilitie ,For unknown reason the devs decided to separate stats from weapons , I think the mastery combos used to be customizable options in weapon menu once upon a time too.

Duel wield full mastery set only requires skill points in mastery of brawler and bow to use.
    Bow combo for duel wield is flurry shot and explosive shot.
    Brawler combo for duel wield is ground pound and uppercut.
    Correct only weapon you need is your duel wield weapon equipped and style options for those combos attacks can be set in styles tab.
  7. Highplains Sailor Well-Known Player

Thank you all for the great information. I really appreciate it.