Chest of superman a nice 21st gift for doctor fate?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Tolly, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Tolly Committed Player

As some have already pointed out the Superman referenced torso style doesn't have the most faithful Superman sewing visual, or even pretty, it may have been fine for a visual at the time of the game's release, but now it doesn't look super clean.

So, as now we get the 21ᵉ day gift with doctor fate, couldn't they have the classic superman torso style with the abs visible and well pronounced and the rest with a plain visual with no bad stitching... rather than some pretty ugly stitching lines, it must be said, and all with a suitably imposing size emblem.

Most of the other heroes have the right to a costume that faithfully represents Superman, just missing the torso and the emblem for all of them !

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  2. Trexlight Devoted Player

If WB/DC approves it sure.
    • Like x 3
  3. Eve YouTuber

The problem is the Devs needs permission for any style they put in the game that is inspired by an Iconic DC Character, and there is a lot of issues around Superman's Emblem. So you won't be getting anything what will make you look even remotely like Superman, but maybe a regular T-shirt like the Batman day one if they fancy doing anything for Superman. And there is a few chest-styles that have the Emblem already built in, I don't know if they want to or can do a new one. This seems like a whole mess that they would like to avoid.

Personally, I would love to see this, but realistically It's probably unlikely to happen anytime soon.
    • Like x 1
  4. Tolly Committed Player

Yet, didn't Warner win the rights to Superman not so long ago? If Warner is still in charge or has some sort of seat on DCUO, it should be easier to do things like that on DCUO now, right?

They were able to put Superman in Fortnite which has nothing to do with the DC Universe, so don't make me think it's not possible to make a style more accessible to everyone in DC Universe Online x)
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I do kind of wonder how this would work. We lobby DI or here in the forums. The forum team takes the idea to the higher ups with time and effort that would be required. The execs check and see what other initiatives are coming and maybe tie in with other media like comics or movies and feel it could work in there. The execs prep to go to DC/Warner and ask if they can get approval to add the style to the game. Meetings are scheduled, bagles purchased, mock ups prepped...Ready to go for the big pitch.

DC/Warner says...."we have a game?....hmmm who knew?".
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Superman is part of the IP. DC/WB owns the IP and can decide however they want aspects of the IP to be used. It doesn't have to be consistent across all games or platforms where it's used. It doesn't even have to make sense to us and can be totally arbitrary.

Their toys, their rules.
    • Like x 1
  7. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Also, rights to the character vs rights to the emblem specifically as a stand-alone asset, especially when distributing it to players like this, aren't necessarily the same thing. Plus HOW something is being used can be a factor in how the rights work and apply to that particular situation. I'm not a lawyer, though, so IDK any real specifics and even actual lawyers get wound in a tizzy sometimes trying to keep track of these things. Especially the more parties are involved in something. IIRC the creators' widows or families still have partial rights to certain aspects of the IP. May be mistaken or it could be old info that's no longer the case, though. IDK.
    • Like x 1
  8. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

It was said once that WB is specially protective when it comes to the Superman emblem. For some reason I dont understand, they are more afraid of players using it in a unintended way (like making a adolf inspired character) than they are of some of their other characters
  9. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Maybe because Supes has a very particular kind of symbolism and ties into some very particular sociopolitical stuff that even characters like Batman and Wonder Woman don't, at least not in quite the same way? IDK. These matters can get very very weird. Also wonder why they've never released things like the classic Robin R emblem or even an actual Robin set that's not those weird Raptor sets but we can put Damian's 16-bit reactive animated face on our chests. IP stuff is so weird sometimes.
  10. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

I would buy that for a dollar. ;)
  11. K3str3lDC Dedicated Player

Sir.... buying people is highly illegal :p
  12. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

It feels so protective to see Superman end up in a game like Fortnite lol
    • Like x 1
  13. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

It's funny because we can play with Superman on Legends but they don't allow the symbols to be used, Fortnite has Superman suits, but I don't think they have customization and that's probably why they are allowed (maybe? Or maybe it's because Marvel allowed and they didn't want to fall behind)