Charon\Mepps what will happen to episodes second currency?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Eve, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Eve YouTuber

Usually Episodes have their currency available to convert to Source Marks at some point.
    But we have two episodes - Wonderverse and Legion that has secondary currency. Since You guys are working on the next episode - that means Wonderverse currency should change to Source Marks. What will happen to the second currency? (Empyrean Aether) Can you guys comment on it yet?

Please also take into consideration that older content becomes inactive as new Episodes are being released.
    • Like x 5
  2. Eve YouTuber

3. TheLQ-DCUO Loyal Player

This is a good point. Patchwork Themyscira will soon become a ghost town, unless people go there to use consumables.

I say have the bounties drop source marks. That way you could farm source marks for old episode bonus vendor rewards, or catalysts for your artifacts. And no loot locks. That would give some players incentive to do those bounties.
    • Like x 2
  4. Darth Piper Loyal Player

I agree with the source marks idea, but at what rate? You already have the issue of converting the secondary currency when the content goes out of “unique currency relevance.” Do they get converted one for one or at a different rate? If at a different rate, do you do something like six per source mark to allow each boss to drop one source mark while the hydra drops two (the current ratio)? When Legion goes out does it become eight to one? Prices would adjust at the 6:1 or 8:1 ratios in the vendor, so a weapon that once cost 600 Aethers or 800 Time Beacons will now simply cost 100 source marks.

I would say they have something planned for this and we will find out what it is soon.
    • Like x 1
  5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Personally I'd like to see the 2nd currency go to source but at a much lower rate, however leave the 'no replay' loot at 1 mark per boss. That only makes them farmable for 10 marks an hour max, so not worth 'milking' but if you need to run the 450 bounties for the feats, make the prices reflect that. If not change to source, make it so some Aethers could be purchased for source once you have the bounty feats completed (similar to how the OP components in FP are only available to buy once you completed the OP back mission). As long as you still need bounty feats, you'll gather Aether, but once you hit the 100's I'd guess you will want out of there. They could add a limit on how many are purchasable still, and leave the Aether drops as well, but since anyone hitting the content for the first time AFTER it's gone out of relevancy will be looking at way more than 100 rotations of the bounties to get the currency needed to buy the Aether stuff, it's not realistic to think they will be down there for 200 or 300 rotations. IT took over 100 for most to get it done when current and we were getting gear/source along the way...as well as a few 2x weeks to assist.

Same will go for Legion...worse really as the prices of the Beacon stuff is worse than WV was.
    • Like x 1
  6. Eve YouTuber

Neither is a bad idea, grinding for the helmet right now is a nightmare when there are barely anyone doing bounties in Wonderverse.
    I guess we will have to wait for release for the details. I hoped they could comment on it but I understand if It's still too early to tell\can't tell.
  7. inferno Loyal Player

I think they're going to/ or at least leave it as it is.

The second episode currency is a unique introduction in those two episodes. It's the only currency in the game that is not bound by loot locks and, I think, also not constrained by CR relevancy.

So the question now is: will it become a ghost town after it goes out of the 3 episode window? or will it remain an attraction to grind to players if the rewards are updated?

Also, if they were to convert these marks to source marks, since there are no loot locks or cr relevant window, this will become the most abundant source of, ahem, source marks in the game. Of course, if they were to do that then this episode will probably always have tons of players doing the bounties.

I guess, either way, it'll be an interesting thing to see what happens.
    • Like x 2
  8. Eve YouTuber

That's again depends of the amount of source marks you can get from bounties (If they go this route).
    The problem is the chances of it becoming ghost town without new rewards or incentives is almost undeniable.
    I hope they have a plan for this. Price reduction on items as well should help.
  9. Illumin411 Loyal Player

It should probably be a 10/1 conversion rate.
    • Like x 1
  10. Eve YouTuber

so 10 Empyrean Aethers to 1 source mark if I get it right?
  11. Illumin411 Loyal Player

correct.
    • Like x 1
  12. Charon Lead Content Designer

There are a couple ideas floating about but nothing fully decided just yet. When we get to converting that episode over, it will be on PC Test when newer content is on there and open for feedback.
    • Like x 9
  13. Eve YouTuber

Thank you for the reply Charon It's appreciated. I guess we will have to wait and see :D
    • Like x 2
  14. Siramez Well-Known Player

if you dont plan to convert them into source marks, how about reducing the price of the second currency items down by like 70%? that way people can still have reasons to grind the older content past their cr relevancy.
    • Like x 3
  15. Cordelia Well-Known Player

My two cents now, then, since I'm unlikely to jump on PC Test. If the bounties are eventually soloable, then I don't care if the currency gets converted, since I could spend some time doing them alone or almost alone and not have to worry about having a crowd. If not, then I would prefer either conversion or a massive price reduction.

Again, my two cents, worth just as much.
    • Like x 1
  16. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

When coming up with ideas, make sure to take into account someone hitting the content for the first time after the next DLC. They will need to use whatever currency and pricing are implemented to pick up anything feat related + finish the count feats, assuming they are working on those, and most players of this game WILL work on those. Regardless of difficulty of the bosses at the time, the fixed rotations mean 50 hours minimum in year+ old content by that point....ideally all the other bounty related/currency feats should be able to be completed in that same amount of time....hopefully.
    • Like x 2
  17. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

Maybe there could be an official thread for ideas on what to do with the Aether currency.
    • Like x 1
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I hereby proclaim this thread official.
    • Like x 7
  19. KiraDanvers Well-Known Player

I've been pondering what will happen to the secondary currencies for a few months now, and I'm actually thinking that maybe it could be an idea for them to remain in the game, rather than be converted or removed entirely?

The reason being, if the devs ever wanted to do an episode spotlight there in future and add new rewards in the vendor as an incentive for us to go back there (like they did recently with the Death of Superman), then having a pre-existing earnable currency with which to purchase those new items with would be quite useful.

As of right now, adding new vendor items to older content is ultimately kinda pointless as we could just buy them easily with source marks without having to really engage in the content. Keeping those secondary currencies could be useful for giving us a reason to engage in the content later down the line?

Ok, it might not be a great idea, but it's worth considering....
    • Like x 7
  20. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Welp....spotlight this week. That should stave off the issue for a while, but yeah....I doubt we'll have many of these once the DLC has gone 'out of relevancy'. Even 1 time a year won't make a huge difference if you are grinding out the Aethers STARTING in 6 months or so.
    • Like x 1