Character Limits

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Hraesvelg, Aug 17, 2018.

1. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Haha word
  2. inferno Loyal Player

That cap has been there for a while. I remember that i was trying to explain some new process in chat and it capped me to the point that i didn't bother to re-word it. I don't know if its always been 140 characters but I would say at least a year or two for the cap.
  3. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

Well I wonder if the lag issues can be attributed to the number of players standing around in one area. I just left Little Bo on one of my alts, and the lag was really really bad. And there were A TON of people standing outside the station. Usually I have found that the more players that are congregated in one area, the more lag I tend to experience.
  4. nawanda Loyal Player

League MOTD length is also messed up.
  5. WADE Well-Known Player

i believe they did the limit to curb the chat glitchers
  6. Hraesvelg Always Right

You mentioned a PS4 limit, so I was just clarifying that it wasn't dependent on platform. I wasn't trying to contradict anything you were saying. Slow your roll. LOL

There is no way that is has been 140 for that long. I send tells all the time and I can be quite verbose. I can understand there being A cap, in theory, but 140 is quite restrictive. We're not all Millennials that have trained ourselves to think/speak in Tweets.
  7. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

Slow my roll? Get over yourself, bud. You misunderstood why I mentioned the limit, let’s just leave it at that. ;)
  8. inferno Loyal Player

As I said earlier on my post I don't know if it was at 140 before but there was a cap. I think you're like me that when I explain stuff, it tends to be long as I like to put everything I can think of when I explain stuff. So I've hit that cap quite a few times in the past. One of the reasons why when I explain stuff, all I put on chat is, "put your mic on" or "can you hear me?"
  9. Hraesvelg Always Right

More like you misunderstood why I needed to clarify your statement in the first place. Someone could have very well read your first post and thought this only applied to the PS4. It wasn't clear, so I clarified it. You seemed to think I was trying to contradict something you said and seemed to get a bit defensive right off the bat.

In the sake of clarity, since you seem to be misunderstanding a lot of things, when someone types out "LOL" it stands for "laughing out loud." It generally is used to denote a lighthearted sentiment, hence the "Slow your roll. LOL" would be a joking, jovial statement. Something not to take too seriously. And then you tell me to get over myself.

So, in further clarification, slow your roll. LOL

(See what I did there? Just making sure nothing is misunderstood.)
  10. Nichalus Active Player

That's a big 'no' on that. Me and my friends are RPers, and prior to the latest update, there was no limit, and being RPers, the posts are usual 'walls of text'. This was done in /say, /league, /shout.. There is a definitely glitch, or a purpose for this that has not been addressed, and/or was snuck in by the Devs on that last update.
  11. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

I knew it was going to happen at some point, as chat limits have gone down a few times over the years. But, this is what has finally killed the roleplay community in DCUO.
    http://dcuonlinerp.proboards.com/ is the site that we use and we have a Discord that we have been using
  12. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So is voice chat not an option in RP? Or how did communication work before when in active content?
  13. Fawkes2574 Dedicated Player

I would think voice chat in RP would make it a bit.....awkward.
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Ok
  15. LastSonOfEarth Committed Player

I sense you get into many an internet “debate,” as is evidenced by your propensity for deflection and correction. No one was confused by me mentioning ps4 chat, except perhaps you. :)

Good day, sir - although we both know this convo is now further from seeing its end merely because I responded. ;)
  16. Blazing Bacon Well-Known Player

VC based RP has existed in the past, but it is extremely odd to many people. Quality is lower as well. RP never happens in active combat so that isn't a worry. A good chunk of the oldest and most stable RP leagues are literate leagues, doing at least a paragraph or two per post. Discord is the next best option at this point.