Changing the Spectrum (Hard Light Power Redesign)

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Grim931, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Grim931 Committed Player

I thought about a way to change Hard Light completely, turning it into Rage's counterpart in the process while also giving a new "awesome mechanic" to both Mental and Sorcery.

I was a little disappointed from the last update to Hard Light, it being paired up with another power during it's update process I felt it wasn't getting the attention it deserved. I thought the update would turn it in the wrong direction, I lashed out at the Devs and posted some comments I probably shouldn't have. I wanted to say I apologize and wanted to bring about something new and productive.

Onto the topic at hand. The new redesign I thought of would throw the combo system to the side, while I do enjoy it and it brings about a playstyle that only Light can call it's own, I think this would be a better alternative. I would describe it as concentration, holding down a power button which would give the power an opportunity to attack and gain power and damage the longer the button is held. It would drain power over time while acting on its own; similar to being a pet with the exception that it goes away after you release the button. These would obviously be WM crit excluded.

Inspiration could have a benefit that would restore power drained during the powers duration, copying the health regeneration of Rage.

I believe this would bring a better system in place, powers in Hard Light's arsenal could get a proper revamp without the concern for screwing up the combo set up already in place. While combos are great, they are also a hindrance that hold it back.

Sorcery and Mental could use this for some of their powers, but I haven't thought about which powers would fit into this system. They seem to fit in with the concentration theme.
  2. ReemX New Player

this seems like a very good idea for a power but i do think that many HL player would be unpleased if the devs just toss our combos aside me included i want them to make them be usable and good again not just change the power altogether.
    • Like x 1
  3. Grim931 Committed Player

I agree to a point, but there could be a better way and I really think this is it.

There could be more variety, easier updates, better visuals and it should be easier to use and control. The constructs could be practically anything seeing as how we are so restricted with the combo set up now. We could have better AoE's, better finishers, and more room for different powers.

If there were more powers that didn't use combos, but stayed out and attacked while using up our power meter I think it would play quite a bit better and feel like being an actual Green Lantern. We could have actual constructs that differed from anything we've seen before and it would just be up to the Dev's creativity.

I really hope to get a devs response in this topic, tell me what you think.

Edit: They could also put a couple of these powers in the trees on test and see if it could work out or not, then go from there.