Celestial in PvP

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by The Enquirer, Nov 5, 2014.

1. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Just to clarify this, I am posting this on behalf of Supreme Monarch, who's phone won't let him keep the formatting for some reason. So direct all questions towards him as in comparison to him I've got very little clue about what all this means and is a current reflection on using Celestial in PvP at this moment.

Hey everyone! Its Monarch aka Prophetic Warrior.

It's no surprise that this is a Celestial Thread, as I love this power and I know that there are others who love the power. There are not many of us left, and this is especially reflected in PvP.

The Issues

I would like to point out that this power is still solid but suffers some imbalances.
    • Aside from the terrible might damage, the real issue is Power Costs especially with Healing in Large Arenas.
    • Broken Crowd Control makes us vulnerable to what I call "Tumbleweed Syndrome" aka we get sneezed out of our combos unless we have immunity.
    • Another thing I would like to point out is that we absolutely have to work harder than Electric and Sorcery, so don't expect to do extremely efficient healing when it comes to celestial. It aint happening yet, so do what you can and maximize your potential and use the surroundings to your advantage.
    Playing Celestial In PvP

I'll cover a few things, but remember, this isn't the end all be all nor is it an expert opinion.
    This is only for helping out to ease the strain of healing, so I will compare key powers.

• Celestial Healing is unique, and should be played gracefully yet precise. We have a combo mechanic with a channel phase, so waste no movement and be aware of immunity at all times, both with yourself, your team, and your enemy(s)
    • Be aware of your surroundings as well and take advantage of your knockdowns when you're being focus fired.
    Crowd Control

• You can do strict healing or battle healing with this power. Stuns are either your best friend or worst enemy.
    • Moves that perform crowd control are Smite, Haunt, Retribution, Wither, Admonish, Blight, Benediction cMalediction, Wrath of the Presence, and Consume Soul.
      • Respective combos function that way too, whether cleansed or corrupted.
    Note* : if you are new and reading this, please note that gear is agnostic and you need to spec your skill points appropriately for your role (matter of preference) and you need to mod according to your role.

Healing Potential
    • This power is unique as it has a precision and restoration buff, a critical damage buff for magnitude and chance, a critical healing chance and magnitude buff, and a might buff.
    • To maximize your potential, focus on powers that get stronger as you progress. The list for the powers with these effects are:
      • Anoint, Admonish, Benediction, Blight, Dark Pact, and Malediction.
    • The powers and combos that gives your healing buff not just to you, but your team as well, are: Anoint, and Blight cAdmonish.
    Admonish vs Blight

• Admonish cBlight gives you the critical healing magnitude buff only, but it's going to be the center of attention in your loadout.
    • Blight cAdmonish has the buff you want, but is only a burst heal.
    • You can choose if you want either one, or both (I recommend having both).
    Damage to Healing conversion

• the patch notes say that all moves that have damage healing capabilities at a 1:1 ratio of damage dealt: restoration cap, have been reduced to 0.25:1.
      • That means 25% of the damage you do is converted to healing.
    • If you use these powers, use Malediction cBenediction. It's better than Benediction cMalediction and still has way more healing potential than it.
    • Benediction cMalediction is good as a fodder or filler h.o.t as it follows the same principle but the healing only comes from the beam of cMalediction.
    • You can also use this in conjunction to one another as the healing stacks, and if you use this correctly with Blight cAdmonish or Admonish cBlight, it boosts the healing.
    Anoint vs Dark Pact

• Anoint is the clear winner here.
    • Anoint is an excellent buff. Cheap on power and it can be used to clip power.
    Consume Soul vs Wrath of the Presence

• Use consume soul. Both stun, pull, and knock down, but consume soul is a longer h.o.t and the combo does more damage than the burst of Wrath of The Presence cConsume Soul.
    • They both benefit from the BcA buff and McB interaction.
    Blessing vs Deathmark

• Either works well. The combos in tandem to one another make a great shield rotation and the damage is wonderful in DPS role.
    • Blessing cDeathmark is good for healing because of the burst heal from the knockout and affects 4 allies while dealing damage to nearby enemies.
      • It is unclear if the heal is affected by the effect of Blight cAdmonish.
    Divine Light

• This is your key burst in the oh crap moments. Its the healing of Jesus in a glyph of light, and it spreads purification.
    • it also has a nice h.o.t.
    Guardian's Light

• I honestly like this because of the push back effect.
    • The healing is more potent than Divine Light. However this is in fact only inferior due to cast time.
    Renew vs Curse

• Renew cCurse is your most viable combo to use. Burst heal for you and 1 other person with the lowest health
    • If your opponent is knocked out you still get that h.o.t. but the more your opponent attacks, the more damage is inflicted upon your enemy. It's like a weaker version of reflect pain.
    • Curse is great for DPS.
      • This is your main d.o.t and counter punishment move. Use that to your advantage
    Supercharges

• Supercharges I would recommend are Sacrifice, Life Drain or Word of Power.
    • In 1v1 and 2v2 I would recommend using Life Drain
    Closing Remarks

Again this isn't be all, end all. Just trying to help out. Hope this helped a bit. Don't let celestial healers die out in PvP guys. We can still be vicious.

Please leave anything you feel is important to share, or if you found this to be helpful.
    • Like x 6
  2. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Thank you Enquirer! Darn phone been wonky all week.
    This has been in the works since GU 39. It was only until recently that Enquirer had encouraged me to say something on this.
    so really, this thread is just as much his as it is mine.
    • Like x 6
  3. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

Very nice Prof!! Good read, very consice, and to the point
    • Like x 1
  4. ThunderlesStorm New Player

I absolutely love celestial in arenas. Dps and healing, I love it. You seem to be talking more for healing, so I'll give my remarks on that subject.

When I heal competitive arenas, I usually do not have as much healing out as the other healers, but my damage, for the most part, makes up for it.

Admonish c benediction is amazing! It is my main source of healing.

Divine light is the power I try to use after a WM combo because of the power cost, but it is a great heal.

I use life drain just because it is a great heal for only being a 35% sc. I am sure some people would rather me use a Word of Power, but oh well.

I use anoint because it is low power cost and benefits everyone.

I'm still unsure about renew or curse. Curse costs less power, but does not give an immediate heal. Renew c curse is a heal without having to combo, but it is rare to get the extra hot from it because there are not too many knockouts. The only viable way is if I targeted a pet, which would take away from helping the team in the counter game.

I've never been a fan of malediction c benediction just because it takes too long to get the combo off and not entirely worth it to me.

Celestial really is rare in competitive arenas, but I am representing. Love this power!
    • Like x 3
  5. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

I know and agree with a lot of what you said.
    That said, position and placement is another thing that a celestial healer should be mindful of in competitive arenas
  6. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

You know I never got into Celestial or Mental as a DPS, even on the test server. But looking at this, I just may try it. I've been putting it off for too long on the Test server.
  7. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Might as well cross it off the list.
    we got a 43% damage reduction.
    healing took a hit too.
    • Like x 1
  8. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

Ouch. Well, I don't think you would've created this thread if you didn't think it was worth trying out. :)
  9. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

I question why I created this thing anyway.
  10. ThunderlesStorm New Player

Why in the world did celestial get nerfed that badly? Just why? Celestial heals were lacking already and there were 3 players on USPS actually using celestial in scrims for dps or heal. Why did they nerf us again?
    • Like x 1
  11. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

I dont know.
    Im crushed as is the rest of the celestial community.
    If Remander finds out.. he's gonna be pissed off
  12. ThunderlesStorm New Player

I'm pissed too! Was comparing damage with a rage user, and his moves take less time, can't be stunned out of them as hard, and hit harder. Why try to kill us off? We celestial users are already few and far between! If the devs would actually be open about things, I might be less mad. Why nerf without telling us, and why nerf a power that didn't need nerfing?
  13. ThunderlesStorm New Player

I really hope this was an accidental bug and they fix it.
  14. SeeMeFight Well-Known Player

Celestial definitely needs some sort of buff. Hope you guys get it.
  15. iYaYa_ Well-Known Player

They nerf it so you can go to a different power and waste 10$
    it simple
    • Like x 1
  16. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

To clarify, the nerf to Celestial was not intended
  17. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

How is your PvP endeavor with Celestial going?
  18. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

I'm glad you asked, but I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. But I will.

EDIT: Gonna try it on the Test server now. USPC
    • Like x 1
  19. Grand Shaw Loyal Player

Since I'm a dps, I'm trying to sort through this to make sure I get it for dps role, not healer role.
    • Like x 1
  20. Sage-Rapha Steadfast Player

Sweet! I recommend talking to TheCelestialKiller.
    he's a solid dps in PvP. I would give a loadout, but it may not be as good as what he can advise.