Can you fire tank Nexus? Has anyone done fine as a Fire Tank?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Golden_Assassin, Apr 16, 2014.

1. kraptastic Well-Known Player

Well I guess I can be smug also. But I do remember well known members on this board complaining it was too difficult unless you were 85 geared. And only a few people gave real help and proof. But then I was lucky to be in a good older league.

The op still has an issue that has not been addressed. Once fire is geared up it is powerful. But at tier entry level it is weaker than ice by a large amount. Pugs go safe and demand ice. Players notice. Switch or make ice toons.. and then fire disappears from the game. People pug in this game more than play in leagues. Its obvious because the devs were forced to nerf because of this. Otherwise they wouldnt have wasted their time nerfing.
    So the real problem is how to make fire as strong at the same cr as ice. Oh wait..all us fire went rage. Nevermind. Lets just ignore the obvious and act smug safely in our leagues.
    • Like x 1
  2. Dump Truck New Player

Are you serious?!?!?! LULZ If you don;t believe that, then there is something wrong.
  3. 478874 Dedicated Player

Super Patriot posted a video doing it 100% legit before everyone was full t5. It's on his youtube channel. He wasn't the only one either and this was on the PS3 with invisible one shot attacks.
  4. 478874 Dedicated Player

I got your back DT. Haven't you learned the forums are filled the hapless dregs of the community.

5. kraptastic Well-Known Player

Watched that vid. And I believe he says full t5 full modded. So he was around 98 cr right? Still great job. Those are the the kinda videos im talking about. Anyone rlse notice hd was using hl shield and lasso? Seems to prove the point that fire needs a tank rework to make it attractive to the community at large. But lets wait n see if the ice tank shouts start again in the next tier alerts n raids when they come out. Proof is in the lfg. Community view is everything to pugs.
  6. Lokkii Committed Player

Krap is right I do remember the majority of the forum fire community complaining about fire when the raids released. I also specifically remember you guys saying you were sticking to DPS that it almost couldn't be done as fire.

Most of the community was actually crying about their powers at that time, a little challenge scared em.
  7. Ash Inferno Well-Known Player

My first time in Nexus, with an amazing group mind you, I successfully tanked it at 93cr. I remember I had mostly green BIA/Family gear on lol.
  8. kraptastic Well-Known Player

9. 478874 Dedicated Player

I don't believe he was full t5 ex-modded, and I know for a fact the not everyone in the group was t5/expert modded. Interesting video, some unorthodox (at the time) rotations going on in that video but it worked.

Ice has the best shield rotations and the easiest mechanics, everyone knows that. It's been that way since launch and been proven time and again with the release of each new tier of content, all that's old news though. Fire has it's strengths though. Group composition and healer/troller load-out choice can definitely help make Fire extremely effective. I know that's not how the community judges power sets by and large; everyone wants the stand alone easy win button, like ice, because that's what makes pugging easier. So you got me there. I just don't think pugging should dictate how the game is structured, it's an extremely inefficient group engine much of the time based on player experience, skill and familiarity.
    • Like x 1
  10. kraptastic Well-Known Player

And yet pugging IS deciding this games structure which is frustrating.
  11. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

^^ Very few fire tanks were able to get through Nexus for a LONG time.

Of course the issue was that we as a community weren't approaching the raid as it was designed. We insisted on single tanks, while they designed it with the thought that there woudl be 2. Of course a 2 tank raid was impossible, as agro management was completely uncontrollable, and to a large extent still is although at least we have 1 more option now. But basically Ice tanks could very easily (literally I could train anyone to ice tank nexus back then) tank everything solo, where fire/earth tanks would have to come out of block and be fully open for at least some amount of time.

Of course all that said, there were still guys like Rooney and what not who took fire, said "screw you all" and tanked it like it was nothing. Of course they heavily relied on phase dodge, a tool we no longer have thanks to lots of whiners (mainly a certain someone from a certain reputable league)

Overall Fire was always capable, though luck or intense skill was required. Nexus was originally designed to be done at mid to high 90's CR as per the intro Livestream where Odyssey took it on and spent like 3-4 hours in there witht he devs. They made it very clear that the intention was to gear up on alerts first then start having more success in the raids.

THen of course... NONE OF THIS MATTERS, because the current Nexus is not at all the same Nexus we all saw months ago. What is ther today has been done with a 3 man using a fire tank.
  12. Pureshadow New Player

That vid is a month after nexus came out. Did you wipe for a month?
  13. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Like 98% of the community apparently didn't beat it for at least a month or two after release according to the SOELive that came shortly after.

So what are you trying to say? That they may have only barely been in the top 2%?

I miss my good ol' EQ days, where raids were expected to wipe you for a week or two while you learned the mechanics. Now everyone just wants to win, takes all the fun out of it for me.