Can you fire tank Nexus? Has anyone done fine as a Fire Tank?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Golden_Assassin, Apr 16, 2014.

1. C3alix Committed Player

Fire tanks are fine in raids if they know what they're doing. They're even better when there's a fire dps with them for power interactions.
    • Like x 1
  2. Funky New Player

Yep fire tanking through nexus can be a breeze; although I was kinda mad I had to sacrifice all my damage traits for restoration and critical healing. But it's more than doable, shoot we heal ourselves.
  3. Korlick Loyal Player

Are you talking about Nexus or Dox?
    If it is Dox, the only boss that can blockbreak you is Oppressor or Sentry. And they are easily avoidable ,specially the Oppresor.
    Now if it is Nexus, its easier to get on top of the counter mechanics before the bosses do to avoid to be countered. Its even easier when you have more Lexs on you. You just have to pay attention.
    You have to understand that your "kind of defense bonus or damage mitigation" is your huge health pool. Thats why you must to get all the health (and dom , ofcourse) you can. Max out your primary stat.
    Oh...and use your PvE breakout trinket. Its a good friend.

Im fire since f2p, never change, never think of. I struggle when T5 arrived. But instead of taking the easy way and changing to Ice, i stay fire and get the best of it. I must admit that i didnt beat those raids properly until i was full T5, but every week i went in and try to learn the mechanics and the attacks from the bosses (That is something that helps a lot. Know when to block, know when to pop a power, when to roll) ,until i finally begin to beat them, without Phase Dodge, cause i was Flight at that moment.
    Now, the raids have been nerfed to the ground, and being overgeared and the counter mechanics (in Nexus and AnB) makes them even easier if you pay attention.

Because they are all well known players (along with Rooney) in the fire community.
    • Like x 2
  4. Lucaefor New Player

Nexus. Was my 1st and only time in there and I was tanking GCPD+Ninja Batman (who was blockbreaking). Back then I was sub CR100 with 105 skill points and didn't have burnout on my loadout. Now I'm full 103 with 140 skill points and have a better loadout but I wasn't really prepared for it at the time. I stand by my original assessment of Fire though, having defense/mitigation puts a lot less stress on the healer rather than having to recover bucketloads of health - it's a lot of spamming from healers and trollers. Fire is meant to offset that burden with it's self healing but for T5 raids it isn't enough, especially when you have to stay in block most of the time as there is no casting time available unless you get a counter. If they buffed the self healing it would have cause drastic imbalance in PVP so you can see where the devs have a problem making Fire competitive defensively with the other tank powersets.

Rooney knows his stuff. It's not so easy anymore without Phase Dodge though.
  5. Flightboy New Player

Run Burning Determination (Never leave home without it). Or run that brand new break out trinket for PVE. Orr Run the Personal Dampening Shield. Orrr yup that's all I got and have never had the issue you wrote above. Best of luck :)
    • Like x 1
  6. Flightboy New Player

Because we have all given multiple factual strategies, good rotations, and just all out great information to players about the Fire Power in its entirety here on the forums (Soulburn's great Fire Guide may ring a bell. Dump and I posted a lot of feedback there.) and in game. Not to mention countless great runs outside of our respectful leagues... And for clarity I was making a PS poke at PC Minx / Rooney :p
  7. Korlick Loyal Player

For what i get from your posts, you are blaming the power instead for your unexperience.
    You dont need the self healing. It is a mistake try to rely on them in T5 raids. Trust me, there is always a cast time available ,even if you dont get a counter.
    Before the counter mechanics were introduced in Nexus ,paying attention to the attacks of the Bosses you could see that there were always a small window that allowed you to cas a power and regain aggro.
    You had to be fast and cast it at the right moment and go back to block asap. Thats why a lot of Fire Tanks begin to use Phase Dodge (i never use it and beat them anyways).
    When a lot of people questioned Rooney for using PD, he made another video without it. PD was helpul but not a must have.

Being 103 with 140 sp you should not be having problems with Nexus these days. Dont know how you spec your sp (all dom and health?) or modded (all dom and health exp?), but you should have around 20k health.
    This is the loadout i use back in the days when Nexus was really hard : Backdraft, Enflame, Burning Determination, Burnout, Overheat, Stoke Flames.
    The strategy was, cast Backdraft/Enflame and always clip it with one of the other powers (burning det, burnout, stoke flames).

Are you saying he should use Burning Det to get up inmediatly after a counter? because Burning Det doesnt do that anymore. Only Burnout.
    • Like x 1
  8. Lucaefor New Player

Yep good advice :) Keeps the team safe from Boss CC and I had my good Spanish friend mix me up a few stacks of PDF V Experts - also essential, they don't last long but can be the difference if I'm countered :) Thanks for the support.
    • Like x 1
  9. Lucaefor New Player

I don't get into Nexus. Build wise my full tank build has over 9k health (20k plus buffed) and 1610 Dominance - I have 3x skill points to spend so can probably bump that a bit. Defense is 8900+. Loadout is Backdraft, Tornado Pull (hate the thing, really miss Low Pressure), Burnout, Phase Dodge, Burning Determination, Reignition(SC). I have Trigons Tank trinket, Supply Drop, PDF 5 Exp and TOMBot on utility belt. I know what you will say about the SC but I can pretty much load it up to 100% before I go into lastboss fight and those 4x SC heals can make the difference.

Like you say Fire self healing isn't really worth thinking about. Krystiana points out if Power Out is available it should go to the healer rather than a spammy Fire tank and I agree with that. I've tanked AB plenty of times and have no problems which is why most of my gear is Vestments and not vendor CR90.

You can still be a poor player with CR103 and 140 skill points. PUG groups on EUPC always run with 3x Trollers, 1x Healer and people talk about a lack of good tanks but there's a lack of good healers and trollers too. Fire unfortunately relies more on the Healer than the other tank powersets and I reckon that is why Fire tanks are fairly maligned these days.
  10. Mr Rocky New Player

i remember from that MR run you're very good fire tank:p
  11. Lucaefor New Player

Aww shucks thanks :) Good healers are really hard to find in fact so it was probably more down to you than me :D If you need a hand with anything when I'm online drop me a tell and I'll be glad to help.
  12. Flightboy New Player

TBH I have never used Burning Determination as a breakout. (I was just offering suggestions will edit my last reply thanks ;) ) That being said with the rotation I ran Burning D was in my rotation saving only burnout for my oh $h!+ moments. Which I rarely had to use in Nexus. What did they change to Burning D??? Been a little while since I played Fire. (Switched a few weeks after WoL dropped.)
  13. Flightboy New Player

The loadout I used for OC content as follows:

Backdraft, Flashpoint ( good juggle for trash adds and it has an almost instant cooldown for constant health buffs), Burning Determination, Mesmerizing Lasso ( I found this way more effective than movement pulls imo ) and Stoke Flames ( really easy to clip out of / health buff ) I don't even know if I'd try to use PD at all. Best of luck man :)
    • Like x 1
  14. Flightboy New Player

Oh yeah, my utility was as follows:

Health V Exp Soders, Breakout Trinket, Tank Trinket, Orbital Strike (this changed when I went rage). My consumable slot is where I put my personal dampening shields.

Gear: (still modded the same now)
    Dominance & Health V Exp in everrrrrrrrythig except my legs and chest those I went Restoration & Health V Exp

Best of luck dude sounds like you're on track :)
    (IDK why it wouldnt let me edit my last post o_O)
    • Like x 1
  15. Lucaefor New Player

Crappy forum server timeout heh. I have to click everything at least 3x to get anything to load properly. Right clicking on and opening in new tab is the only way I can edit/reply to anything.

Yeah and thanks for the advice. I'll try getting into Nexus as it's only the last room I've had any issues with. Paradox is a bit difficult as everyone is doing +4 subs and bleh, I've watched videos but it's a lot to remember without ever tanking it before. Anyway thanks a lot :)
    • Like x 1
  16. Black Stem Well-Known Player

I've Fire tanked A&B with Half DPS gear on. 35SP.
    • Like x 1
  17. AmericanNinja New Player

Of course you can. why wouldn't you be able to be?
  18. Pureshadow New Player

so the healers carried you. must had sucked for the healers.

at this point of the game the raids are old content and everyone is geared. pretty easy to get carried by healers and dps.
  19. Black Prime New Player

Lol, was makin a funny. Respectful, that funny. Have yet to see either of those leagues be respectful. If those are the big fire guys why did they jump ship? Lol. Anyway i would like to see fire return to its glory days. They used to have similar mechanics like rage does. I think there were 3 or 4 different health buffs and not just all powers doing the same thing. You could even you your respectful leagues got fire nerfed. All the fire tanks who you could not kill in the early days of pvp. Why not bring this back since they can be debuffed now. There is no reason fire shouldnt get extra health buffs from adds or different super powers. You CAN blame all the fire tank pvpers for getting this nerfed. I dont see them fixing fire tanks anytime soon. Thats not a power most would switch to with new content coming out. Rage and ice is the easy mode for tanking and dpsing. This is why they all changed. Not skill, lazy. My newer alt is rage and melts things way above my cr level. No other power can that. Fire tanks are fine, but if you want easy mode go ice or rage.
    • Like x 1
  20. Black Stem Well-Known Player

Healer(s)? WITH an s, no. A pug Healer healed me. You don't get carried as a Tank when there's a singe person tanking.