Can we please stop using the term 'Black Friday'?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Reinheld, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

So we were discussing the potential sale in another thread and It got me thinking? Why is it still 'Black Friday'? I'm not talking about some social justice issue with the name, although I'm sure that argument can also be made, I'm saying it isn't the same as when the name was given and actually applied to the sales.

It used to be that the day after thanksgiving had some massive sales, usually on limited stock. People would line up hours or days earlier for this one shot at an 'awesome' deal and sometimes the resulting hordes all clamoring for some .50 cent 10 packs of socks or a 3rd rate TV being sold at a discount would trample each other in the process. Store employees work extra long days, starting in the wee hours and fielding all sorts of nonsense for no more reward than their usual pay. Most of the best sales only lasted a few hours, even if there were enough stock, so the sale was actually on Friday and Friday alone, normally done by noon that day. The day also signaled the beginning of the Christmas sale season.

The term 'Black Friday' was actually coined back in the 60s by the police because of the influx of shoppers in the downtown area of Philly I believe, but the term was picked up by most of the retail community also because of the havoc that the sales caused. The general public started calling it that as the word got out that's what the cops and retail called it....it was not a badge of honor or something someone called it because it was a 'good' thing.

So today, we have 'Black Friday in July' or others. Just saw a commercial for a store having 'Black Friday all November'. 'Black Friday' is now at LEAST over the weekend, so 'Black Weekend sale' maybe?...but that doesn't sound right either. Let's also look at the sales themselves. Most stores allow shopping online and start earlier than Friday...no need to sit outside or kill your neighbors to get those tube socks. Most of the deep deals can be picked up through the weekend or even later as stock is plentiful. And hey, if you miss the deal at one store, another likely has the same or an extremely similar item for the same price down the street or on another WWW site. These bargains aren't rare and most are not that deep.

Yeah, there are still some nutjobs who line up outside in the early AM....If I'm buying something on the sale, I'll normally go early, (after the doors are open) and pick up the same items they waited 3 hours in the rain for...or I'll buy it online and skip the store completely till pickup a day later. In any case it's not 'Black Friday' as the term was created for. How about 'Day after Thanksgiving sale' (which is probably what most of the sales were called before 'Black Friday' was coined. Or 'Thanksgiving weekend sale'? Then those ones in July can maybe just be called 'Summer Sale', or whatever, as 'Thanksgiving weekend in July' sounds even stupider than 'Black Friday in July'...which sounds pretty stupid already.
    • Like x 1
  2. Lantern_AdamK4 Committed Player

I don't think there's anything wrong with the term "Black Friday" historically "black" has been used as an adjective to describe calamity and chaos. For example, the black plague. It was initially used to describe the day as chaotic due to the amount of retail employees that would call in sick to enjoy a 4 day weekend, this was in the early 50's. Then yes, as you mentioned, police called it that. But it wasn't until the 80's that retailers used the term and it caught on, and they used the term because all the additional business on that day took them from being "in the red" to "in the black", referring to their financial situations. You seem to be suggesting that the reason that we stop using the term is because its origins no longer apply. But the day is still very chaotic, so in some ways, it very much can apply. Even still, especially this year, I'm sure many businesses are in the red, and the shopping season may help them get out of it..Given these reasons, and the origins of the term "Black Friday". I don't see a real justification for changing it, as there's not really a problem with it on a larger scale. If we want to stop referring to things by their common name because the reason for the term doesn't exist or exist as it once was, we may need to overhaul a whole lot of expressions and terms for potentially arbitrary reasons.
  3. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yep....I'll be at that 'Black Friday' sale, on Saturday....or In December sometime...or in July on a wed...or any day in Nov at some stores, well basically any time they want to advertise any sale. Fits 100%.

No I was saying that it's now used for everything seemingly (hence the 'in July' and 'all month' sales) as opposed to the 1 day after Thanksgiving. On top of that it isn't the same chaotic event it used to be where the name was originally coined...but that is only one of two reasons. I'm actually fine with it staying 'Black Friday' on Friday after thanksgiving...even though it's teeth have largely been removed from days of old.

And I wasn't making the argument against the negative use of the word 'black', just pointing out that some might want to do so in today's social climate. Go ask the 'Washington Football Team'.
  4. Leeerooy Well-Known Player

Gratz you are a semi-finalist in this year's award, entitled," Yo Mama." "I believe" is been warn out to bytes be more creative thanks.

5. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Uh....ok. Thanks?
  6. TheLastSuperman Well-Known Player

If we can change Cyber Monday into Cyborg Monday, then I'm 110% on board with this.

o_O ;)
  7. Swamarian Committed Player

Black Friday refers to at what point in the year businesses become profitable. A business "in the black" is profitable. One that's "in the red" is losing money. (Black ink is used for profits, red for losses. If you have a printing calculator with 2 color ribbon, negative amounts print in red.)
    • Like x 2
  8. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

First off, that's pretty much been shot down as the primary reason https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-friday-origins/ (although there may be some certain situations where it's accurate).

Second...assuming it was the real reason for 'black' Friday, it's amazing that so many stores can go from red to black In July https://www.tomsguide.com/news/black-friday-in-july-2020#:~:text=What is Black Friday in,from laptops to kitchen appliances.
    then again in Nov after Thanksgiving...that's some tricky accounting(I guess someone embezzles every Aug or so)...or that it used to be they ALL went from red to black on the same day every year...the day after Thanksgiving, from the best businesses to the worst.

Just saying....it's lazy advertising and actually has almost no meaning now, regardless of what it once meant. "Hey Morty....we want to have a sale this week to blow out some junk we overbought...what about some 'Black Friday-Wednesday only' deals? Or we'll do 'Black Friday every Tuesday' monthly deals they they are all gone?" Like when you see a sale where it says "UP to 50% off...OR MORE"....so basically all numbers? Got it.

Anyway. It was just a rant. I'll drop it. I'll go to my 'after Thanksgiving sales'...online...on Saturday or Sunday...regardless of what stupid...inaccurate name they give them if there is actually any good deals (haven't seen any yet this year). Or I won't
  9. FoolsFire Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  10. TritonD3 Well-Known Player

What kind of weird non-issue nonsense is this?
    • Like x 1
  11. TurbulenceDCUO Well-Known Player

The other poster said it right. As a retail manager black Friday is strictly about getting out of the red and into the black. Nothing more. Spend less time being an SJW and more time on the sparring targets and you will have a better attitude towards the world.

Mike B
    • Like x 1
  12. Swamarian Committed Player

Hey, Reinheld provided an actual link, and Snopes also provides documentation, so I'm willing to give it to them.
    To Reinheld:
    Black Friday in July's the same as Christmas in July. It just means that they're having a sale. You don't see Santa, hear them playing Christmas music, or pushing pumpkin pies during the advertised events.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Wow Mike, your reading comprehension is great. I specifically said I had no issue with the possible negative connotation of the word 'black'...I simply said that SOME might have that. Way to call me out as an SJW...you hit the nail on the head yet again.

BTW. does the store you manage have a Black Friday in July sale or any other 'BF' themed sales? If so, how's that accounting work? I'm guessing your sale is that Friday only, right...not Saturday...not Sunday...not all November?
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yes...'Christmas in July' is the same thing....a dumb lazy name. how about 'Summer Spectacular' or 'Blazing hot deals Summer Sale' or 'Mid year inventory blow out!'... or whatever.

Again, I'll drop it...close the post. I wanted to rant, rant completed. I just get sick of the bombardment of 'massive' deals because it's 'Black Friday'....but it's not really...it's "November sale" or "Thanksgiving Weekend sale" at this point...which was my main complaint.
  15. bareheiny 10000 Post Club

Sweet baby jeebus, what a bunch of maroons.

Seems like a perfect Funhouse thread.

And Reinheld, if it makes you feel any better (it probably won't)...over here in NZ they've started with the "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" "sales". They mean literally nothing here...it's just copying the US really in order to try and get people to buy stuff they likely don't need, at prices that aren't that great...for stock that's seriously limited purely so they can claim they're selling things super cheap.
  16. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

While I agree that "Black Friday" is nothing like it used to be(don't know who's old enough to be around when Black Friday was insane) but it's still a huge sale day hence the name(I don't give a flip what Snopes says because I don't remember who declared them chief cook and bottle washer of the truth but they're also biased). Personally I've never gone shopping on Black Friday because I hate people in general so why would I want to be around thousands of them?