Can the subscription price be reduced?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Aduzar Light, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

I don't know if it's the devs' idea with all the changes coming to the game, but regardless, I'm bringing it up now, because I think if the devs were potentially discussing it, it would be a good time to dissuade them from doing it, and with all the changes coming, I think it would motivate a lot of people to subscribe, and especially after a period of major change in the game

So I'm of the opinion that the subscription price should be around 8/9€ (monthly) like the PS Store, services like PS Now and Xbox Game Pass are also in line with this kind of monthly price, so I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for MMORPGs to aim for this price range, I think it's in everyone's best interest to face this "threat", and as everyone knows, it's a good thing that MMORPGs have been releasing "buy to play" versions for a while now.

Moreover, as everyone knows, today's society encourages us to "collect" subscriptions for various services of all kinds and earn a few extra euros if and when we do, it's always good for the users.

So sure, it may be money lost on a few subscribers, but I think it also helps to attract more subscribers!

For my part, I would be more than happy to have this gesture from the DCUO studio.
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Why would they do this when the bulk of the game, if not its entirety is already becoming entirely free, if you want to pay less from next month then you can choose something even better than paying less; paying nothing at all.
    • Like x 6
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

[IMG]
    • Like x 4
  4. Eve YouTuber

15$ is not that much now and for what we're about to get additionally. The pricing is fine as is. If anything I'm glad they didn't raise it with all the additions.
    • Like x 4
  5. nawanda Loyal Player

I think the subscription price is fine as it is. My only issue with it has been the period April to August this year where the biggest benefit of membership has been given to non-members for free. I think members should have been given something in lieu of this. Based on the principal that membership money pays for the development of new content, we have effectively been paying for other people to play.
    • Like x 1
  6. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

Be right back, getting some popcorn.
    • Like x 3
  7. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Lmao lol all I am going to say is I am looking forward to the changes coming to membership.
    • Like x 2
  8. FiremanMac85 Well-Known Player

People who play the game are, people who just like dumping money and spamming aren’t.
  9. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

It’s fine to have a discussion on the subject but.. why lower it? You mentioned a lot of points regarding what others should do but nothing on why dcuo should change.

You said. MMORPGs should all do a subscription of X amount. People also have other subscriptions of Y amount. But why does dcuo have to change? If you are going to give reasons for a price reduction on subscriptions than you should also give reasons why the game itself should do it. Why should dcuo change prices because people have other subscriptions? Why should dcuo change prices because everyone should?
  10. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

Nah, most MMOs charge $15 and dont have consistent updates and gifts like DCUO. Also, remember that from now on, you dont need a sub to fully enjoy the game, its just a bonus for people who want to support the game and get in-game items that are more valuable than the sub.
    • Like x 2
  11. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

A gift after member goes free would be really great to show appreciation for the ones who didnt drop it after free flashpoint and free episodes
    • Like x 1
  12. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

10x 12 is 120
    15x12 is 180

I really dont see $180 worth of content with so much being given out for free.
  13. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

But you aren’t paying for content anymore the membership update is coming soon. And if you don’t like it it’s fine cause you can still play.
    • Like x 1
  14. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

Umm...

There is no comparison between a console store subscription and the DCUO (or any MMO) subscription. Console stores have access to large libraries of old and new games AND they have other avenues of revenue to rely on (such as the Playstation Plus/Xbox Gold membership). DCUO and other MMO's have to rely on subscriptions as part of their revenue stream to keep their game(s) going. As others have mentioned before me, the $15 monthly fee has been a tried and true acceptable standard across MMO's in general. Even WoW, with all of it's advertising, still charges a $15 monthly subscription fee.

Collecting subscriptions is a choice, not a requirement. It is up to the individual to manage their subscription collection, not "society" or any company that offers them. MMOs are not going to empathize/sympathize and lower their subscription prices because players/potential players are paying for other subscriptions from other companies/services.

A lower subscription price will mean more microtransactions/in-game purchases to make up the difference, in my opinion. Therefore, I am quite content with the $15 monthly fee.
    • Like x 2
  15. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

The new sub will have at least $700 worth of in-game stuff a year, now if you think that stuff isnt worth 180 bucks this update gives you the option to not pay it and still fully enjoy the game.
    • Like x 5
  16. thedemonocus Loyal Player

With all episodes going free,no cash cap,lair and utility belts going free there really is no more incentive to keep subbing. I do worry about what other things will be added to replace the money subs used to bring in.
    • Like x 2
  17. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

That and not to mention a community that is losing interest for the elites, I really don't see the point of the subscription anymore and even less at the current prices, we end up spending more time sleeping in the watchtower, than being able to really play the games...

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that, and I'm not going to be able to do that.
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

What do you mean what other thing? They already announced what is being added to member benefits.

I don’t see any drop in interest in elite. During the end of a dlc people finish renown so move on to other things like feats.
    • Like x 4
  19. Faelwolf Active Player

Seems another factor has been forgotten in this discussion. The sub is for multiple games, not just one. It includes DCUO, EQ, EQ2, and Planetside. ATM, it seems that of the 4, DCUO will actually give the best return for sub if you look only at free in-game items, but for those of us who like a bit of variety in their gaming, the DB sub is the best deal going. It's not DB's fault if you sub and only play one game. The sub is already split 4 ways, making the actual sub for DCUO ~$3.75 USD/Month or less with a longer term sub rate.

The route they are going with subs is not only valid IMO, but overdue. The days of paid games with subs are long gone, it's not the 90's anymore, the market has a new paradigm. Just be thankful they didn't go the EA route with paid loot boxes and forced gambling.
  20. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but it does have to be pointed out that the All Access subscription is only applicable to people who play on PC. Anyone who plays on PS4/5, Xbox or Switch is paying the same price (and even more on Switch I believe) for a subscription for just DCUO alone.
    • Like x 3